Profile for Stella > Reviews

L'Oreal Paris Color Riche Vernis A L'Huile 668 Bleu Royale Nail Polish 5ml
L'Oreal Paris Color Riche Vernis A L'Huile 668 Bleu Royale Nail Polish 5ml

4.0 out of 5 stars The blue is really very vivid..., 19 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Really nice polish and I have it in the blue and clear colours. The blue is really very vivid and even one coat is enough to get good coverage but I prefer a couple of coats to get a nice deep colour. The stayng power isn't great though, that's the only drawback with this one. The bottle is lovely, the colours are great and it dries really quickly and leaves a glossy finish...it just would be better if it wasn't chipping after two or three days. I hate to do touch-ups on my nails so a re-do every day or so is a bit of a pain but the colour is worth it with this one.

Great value for money too and I'll be getting more colours from the range.

The Food of Love: Book 1, Laura's Story (Food of Love 1)
The Food of Love: Book 1, Laura's Story (Food of Love 1)
by Prue Leith

3.0 out of 5 stars Wartime family saga..., 19 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I didn't realise that Prue Leith wrote fiction, I just remember her from her cookery books days. Did she do a program on telly too? I can't remember.

Anyway, fiction... Well, she can definitely write and when she's writing about food it's all the more glorious but the story itself is a wartime family saga of the type I can take or leave. It's interesting and there's a great mix of characters but it's all a bit drawn out and predictable. I took a bit longer reading this one than the page count would usually dictate but only because it was quite easy to lay down and leave for a day or so before coming back to it.

It's an okay story and I'm sure there is a lot here to love when in the hands of the right reader, I just wasn't that person. Probably won't read the next in the series but I'm not put off of trying the authors other works of fiction.

Kensington Laptop Cooling Stand
Kensington Laptop Cooling Stand

5.0 out of 5 stars Copes no problem with my 15" laptop..., 18 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A nice, solid stand that copes no problem with my 15" laptop which has a tendency to overheat quite alarmingly when used for gaming. Keeps everything up off my lap when used in bed and it's not too noisy for when my partner is sleeping.

Very nice build quality and feels quite robust and substantial despite the plastic construction. Great value for money at the current price of under fifteen quid too and I can heartily recommend.

Wilkinson Sword Hydro 3 Razor Blades - Pack of 4
Wilkinson Sword Hydro 3 Razor Blades - Pack of 4

4.0 out of 5 stars Give a good shave..., 18 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To be honest I can't really tell much difference between the 3 blade and the 5 blade in terms of closeness of shave and since I use a separate gel foam the little reservoir of hydrating lubricant doesn't really add a lot to the experience but when all is said and done these give a good shave. They're easy to fit onto the handle, they don't tug at the skin and the end result is smooth skin. That's about all I'm looking for with blades really so they work great. Good value for money too at the current price of around a fiver.

Pack of 8 - 15mm SILVER FLAT with BACKS - Bag & Purse Feet with Backs - Flat Bottom Handbag Studs - Bag making & Crafts
Offered by CelloExpress

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant product..., 18 April 2016
I needed something to keep my new leather tote from getting scuffed on the bottom when on the floor and these are just perfect. Great size, easy to put on the bag and really good value for money. They work like a paper fastener and once the stud pins are pushed through the bag they open up like wings on the inside and are kept in place flat and secure with the little backs that come in the pack. Brilliant product and will prolong the life of my new bag.

Orphan X (Evan Smoak)
Orphan X (Evan Smoak)
by Gregg Hurwitz

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd love to see this made into a film..., 16 April 2016
This review is from: Orphan X (Evan Smoak) (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I haven't read anything by Gregg Hurwitz before but I'm glad I've finally tried him because I've found a brilliant new series. The recommendation by Lee Child helped draw me in too because if Mr Child thinks it's Outstanding then that's high praise in my book.

It's a great story, if a little unbelievable at times, but that's part of its charm. Evan Smoak is a bit of a superhero and it seems there is nothing he can't do, no situation he can't handle and nobody he can't sort out. He'd give Jack Reacher a run for his money and Jack's The Man.

It's well written, gripping, exciting, and all the things I've come to expect from a thriller. It has got a few twists and turns that keep it fresh and a bit different from others in the genre though and I could hardly put it down the two days it took me to read it.

I'd love to see this made into a film and I don't doubt that it will be, one of these days.

200 Light Gluten-free Recipes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook
200 Light Gluten-free Recipes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook
by Angela Dowden

3.0 out of 5 stars Handy book to have..., 7 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Just over 100 (not 200) gluten free recipes which are also lower in calories and mostly it works. The layout is nice, the photography is clear and the recipes themselves seem sound (the handful I've tried), but the majority are either vegetarian or fish. Great if you like those things, but there's not a lot of variety. There are some snacks, some starters and a decent collection of main dishes but really I'm wondering how much fish I could eat in a month. Every other dish seems to have fish or consist of mostly veggies.

It's a nice enough book and easy to follow but it won't ever make my 'go to' gluten free book shelf.

Handy book to have though, for the few recipes I can take away from it.

Panasonic MJ-L500SXC Slow Juicer with Frozen Attachment, 150 W - Silver
Panasonic MJ-L500SXC Slow Juicer with Frozen Attachment, 150 W - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost bone dry pulp..., 6 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I can't fault this! Brilliant machine and I've had it on every day since it arrived over three weeks ago. Most days it's on more than once.

I've had so many juicers over the years that I've lost count of them. I love fresh juice but the faff involved with getting it usually puts me off. Some machines were better than others but the overall downside to most of them is wet, mushy pulp with a lot of the juice going to waste, and the difficulty in taking them apart and cleaning. This one suffers from none of that, it's easy to clean and there is virtually no juice left in the pulp at the end of the squeezing.

It's a nice sturdy unit and feels quite substantial but doesn't take up a lot of room on the counter and it isn't in the least bit bulky. When the pulp comes out at the end it's almost bone dry and there's no mess involved with lifting it out to the food bin, there's no dripping and slopping to get it binned. I hadn't realised that separated juice could be avoided with a slower pressing but now that I've seen it in action I realise how much that separation bothered me with the other juicers. Unless I guzzled down the juice as soon as it was poured it would split so that all the good stuff was at the bottom of the glass and I was constantly stirring it to mix it up. With this juicer there's no stirring to keep it mixed, it just doesn't separate. I love that!

I can't get over how quiet it is (and my animals appreciate the lack of noise too). I'm used to having to shout over our other juicers so this one seems almost silent in comparison.

It's brilliant, that was my first impression and almost a month later I'm still marveling over it. I've got a few tried and tested juice recipes that we all love but I tried the one given in the product description (this juicer can sort out leafy vegetables too!) and it was a nice change to our usual juices. I had to leave out the ginger as I'm not a fan but other than that it was really refreshing and I've added it to my list of favourites. 2 apples; a handful of spinach; 1 slice of lemon; 1 inch of root ginger, peeled; 1 celery stick; 1 orange peeled, leaving pith on and poured over crushed ice. So lovely.

Highly recommended without reservation and I'm thrilled with mine.

The High Places
The High Places
by Fiona McFarlane

3.0 out of 5 stars Great bed-time reading..., 6 April 2016
This review is from: The High Places (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For me, anthologies make great bed-time reading. A story or two before lights out are perfect for winding down. These short stories are a mixed bag, in terms of appeal (to me). Some I loved and some I was disappointed by, but that's the nature of the beast with anthologies, some are always going to appeal more than others. They're all well written though and the storytelling is spot on.

All of the stories are quite unsettling, which I really liked, and I'd love to read a full length novel by this author.

The Museum of You
The Museum of You
by Carys Bray

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying read..., 6 April 2016
This review is from: The Museum of You (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a story that will stay with me a long time I think. It's touching and uplifting and moving and although it centers around loss it focuses more on discovery and understanding. It's a very satisfying read, particularly thanks to Clover and her dad Darren who tell their stories in a way that makes them feel more like friends than just characters in a book. It's funny in all the right places and I think that's due in part to the gift with dialogue that the author has, it's a joy to read.

It's a great story and I've added Issey Bradley to my list of books to buy and hoping that it's every bit as good as this one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20