Profile for Alan Dyson > Reviews

Content by Alan Dyson

Alan Dyson (by the Channel Tunnel)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Wenko 2712663100 30 x 4.5 x 52 cm Stove Cover Universal, Crystal
Wenko 2712663100 30 x 4.5 x 52 cm Stove Cover Universal, Crystal

1.0 out of 5 stars Great product but ..., 24 April 2014
The first thing I noticed was that the box had been opened. That didn't put me off but I'm now rather wishing it had and that I'd returned the covers.

We have a standard Zanussi hob but the control knobs on the side required more than the usual 30mm clearance so the extendable feet of these these seemed ideal. I intended to stand the covers on the edges of the hob but the edges were too narrow for stability so I decided to position the feet in the burner well. I then realised I should have taken the height of the pot stands into account as they are a couple of mm higher the the knobs. By chance I had some felt pad feet left over from something else and tried attaching them to these. Job done, and at this point I was very happy with our purchase.

To tidy off the installation I then set about removing the factory labels on the undersides of the covers and was dismayed to find they were the type which don't just peel off but require wetting and some elbow grease. Do some manufacturers persist with these just to hack people off? Anyway, having removed most of the material fairly easily I more robustly set about removing a small, more resistant patch. OCD maybe. Oh dear, it was here that I discovered that these are probably not toughened glass but laminated with a plastic film; this is mentioned in passing at the very end of the instructions but I had missed it. So it was that I damaged the film with scruffy results, which I've fortunately been able to tidy up to an acceptable level.

I am at least partly responsible for this issue but I would have been posting a 4 star review had the manufacturer not used those irritating non-peel labels, and for that they deserve censure. I guess most customers are less pernickety than me, but for those of similar disposition this may be a cautionary tale.

Byron Sentry BY323 60m Wireless Portable and Plug-Through Door Chime Kit with 4 Sounds

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish It Had Been Right First Time, 8 April 2014
The one I bought in November was fine while it was working but it kept failing. Adjusting the battery connectors in the bellpush put it right but it would fail again, usually very quickly. Four months later I wondered why I hadn't just reported it to Amazon; I did that yesterday and a replacement arrived within 24 hours. This one clearly operates much more crisply that the first, and I'm confident that I can join the majority who would recommend the product. I noticed that an adhesive pad for the bellpush is now included, but a couple of suitable screws and plugs as well would be nice.

The need to replace and the miserly lack of screws means only 3 stars, while Amazon's customer service is as usual worth 5.

Brand New 1.5 meter Folding Thin Plug
Brand New 1.5 meter Folding Thin Plug
Offered by ExpressPro

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful Item, 16 Feb 2014
It certainly does the job intended, overcoming the awkwardness in packing a UK 3-pin plug in a small bag. The folding pin moves freely, making it a little difficult to insert one-handed into an out-of-the-way socket. A shorter cable option and a lower price would be handy.

Liberon BPCL150 150ml Beeswax Paste - Clear
Liberon BPCL150 150ml Beeswax Paste - Clear

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 16 Feb 2014
Quite simply the best result I've ever achieved on our large dining table. Two applications produced a deep, consistent shine which I'm sure will be maintained with a little effort now and then. Be prepared for a good whiff of turpentine, which doesn't persist.

Tefal Natura J0337001 Baking Tray 38 x 28 cm
Tefal Natura J0337001 Baking Tray 38 x 28 cm
Offered by Riviera Cadeaux

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Product, 12 Aug 2013
Like another reviewer, we were impressed with the performance and longevity of a couple of Tefal baking trays bought in France around 15 years ago at a fraction of the cost of the flimsy ones generally available in the UK. On a recent visit there we came across the Natura range and bought some replacements for our ageing roasting tins. An excellent buy, but they put our still functional but now rather battered baking trays to shame so we decided to try one of these. We're delighted with it and will be getting another, but perhaps in nearby France where they tend to be even better value.

MinoSharp / Shinkansen Water Sharpener set of 2 replacement ceramic wheels for 220 models
Offered by York Catering Supplies Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Sloppy service, 27 Mar 2013
The wheels arrived promptly. However, they were packed in separate little boxes with no indication of their origin or manufacture, and no explanation. I emailed the seller saying that I wanted to return them for a refund or replacement by the branded product advertised. The seller phoned me to explain that there were supply/packaging difficulties and assured me that the wheels were genuine MinoSharp items. Somewhat reluctantly, I agreed to keep the wheels. I have not yet used them so cannot comment on performance; if anything significant emerges I will update this review.

I told the seller that this anomaly could easily have been covered by an explanatory note enclosed with the wheels, or better still a caveat included in the Amazon listing. He undertook to note the listing accordingly.

I'm confident that my initial scepticism was unfounded, but nevertheless think that supplying items not as advertised, with no attempt at explanation, is sloppy service.

Strong Chromed Brass Adjustable Swivel Tap Nozzle Spout Aerator M24 MALE 24mm
Strong Chromed Brass Adjustable Swivel Tap Nozzle Spout Aerator M24 MALE 24mm
Offered by plumbing4home

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, instructions would be nice., 22 Mar 2013
A nice, effective product which immediately solved our splashing problem. I can now wash my hands without making my trousers look as though I've been careless in the toilet. Fast delivery.

It would certainly have been 5 stars had even brief instructions been included. Without having read the reviews here, it would not have been obvious that you need to remove the nozzle and use an allen key to tighten the device.

Some of the previous poor reviews are down to the customer buying the wrong thing, hardly the fault of the product.

MediaDevil / PhoneDevil Magicscreen Screen Protector: Crystal Clear (Invisible) - HTC Desire HD (2 x Screen Protectors)
Offered by MediaDevil

5.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 16 Mar 2013
Never was my title so true. Certainly cheaper options will protect your screen, but if you want to get much closer to perfection with no extra effort this is the one for you. The tips that go with it are also useful, especially the sticky tape to remove the inevitable dust particle. Even my slightly shaky hands got a decent result, certainly the best I've achieved.

The item arrived one working day after ordering.

One small caveat about the Desire HD (though it may apply to other phones). While this product gives more all-round tolerance than others I've tried, the corners are still a tight fit and it's easy to spoil a perfect result there. It might just have been me, but it wouldn't hurt to trim ½mm off the bottom corners before you start.

HDMI 1.4 High Speed Cable for 3D TV with Ethernet & ARC 0.5m 50cm
HDMI 1.4 High Speed Cable for 3D TV with Ethernet & ARC 0.5m 50cm
Offered by kenable_ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 20 Feb 2013
I needed a short HDMI cable to connect a DVD player and TV. It arrived in two working days, is good quality, and does the job perfectly at 30% of the price asked by national electronics store.

Electric Digital Alarm Clock Prelude Jumbo Red LED Display
Electric Digital Alarm Clock Prelude Jumbo Red LED Display
Offered by Ryness Lighting & Electrical

5.0 out of 5 stars Can Tell the Time in the Dark at Last, 17 Dec 2012
I'm very long-sighted and cannot focus sharply at any distance without the aid of specs. I wanted a simple clock that I could read from about 8 feet without having the bedroom lit up and without having to grope for said specs. This fits the bill exactly. 1.8" does not sound very big but the numbers look larger than that (they're not), and even on the dim setting I can read them from my pillow, albeit having to close my eyes partially. The controls are very simple - too simple some might think as the numbers only go forwards, requiring a longish scroll to go back a short way. I'm delighted though.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7