Profile for Mrs Teri Walker > Reviews

Mrs Teri Walker

The Goldfinch
The Goldfinch

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile read, 8 July 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Kindle Edition)
I read this as part of a bookclub and was not my choice. I worried about 864 pages and how I would get through it.
Starts off good with an event that clearly impacts on Theo's life and will forever do- losing his beloved mother in a terrorist attack.
I lost interest for a while and got stuck around the "Vegas" chapter when Theo is taken to live with his father and pill popping girlfriend. I also felt the descriptions of Theo and Boris endless drug taking, drinking, glue sniffing went on for too long.

I think as an animal lover, i regained interest when Theo escaped vegas with Popchick(the maltese neglected dog of dads girlfriend)
and I was touched by his feelings for the dog throughout such a rubbish existence.I almost cried when he eventually turned up at Hobies and expected as always to get rejection and was brought in to safety and how surprised he was that someone may do that for him.
I read over 600 pages in 2 days after this point and it was at times a real page turner.

As someone with a faith in God, I didnt mind the Philosophising and God details at the end but wondered where they had come from m for both Boris and Theo as no such things appeared to have been discussed before.
I also wondered how Theo and Boris functioned with such endless drug use however, I do not have personal experience of just how much you can take and function with at any given time.
Overall, I really enjoyed the book and at the risk of being controversial can say the Goldfinch painting never really carried that much weight with me throughout the book other than its obvious connections to a life long lost

The Philosophy of Friendship
The Philosophy of Friendship
by Dr Mark Vernon

5.0 out of 5 stars This book helped me through a tough time!, 4 April 2013
This book was invaluable to me after a serious friendship betrayal.

It made me realise that I needed to know the difference betwen friends and colleaugues sounds obvious but not always when we are in the middle of day to day lives.

I chose it as my "BOOKCLUB CHOICE" but am sad to say not everyone else was quite so enthusiastic.

If you regularly read Non fiction and like to absorb human truths along the way - you will enjoy

Isaac's Storm: The Drowning of Galveston, 8 September 1900
Isaac's Storm: The Drowning of Galveston, 8 September 1900
by Erik Larson

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it - gripping!, 4 April 2013
Read as a "Bookclub choice"
Wasn't looking forward to starting it. Began on Saturday late afternoon and finished by Sunday at 11am!!
Absolutely gripping made all the more so by knowing it was all based on real life accounts
Highly recommend. Don't let the science bits put you off the human story more than makes up for it

When Bad Things Happen to Good People (Pan Self-discovery Series)
When Bad Things Happen to Good People (Pan Self-discovery Series)
by Harold S Kushner

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure I totally believe all of it but helpful in places, 1 April 2013
I ordered this book from the recommendation of Richard Carlson (in one of his books)
I wholehartedly agree that bad things happen to good people and that God is in the miry pit with us. I also belive that God does not bring us harm and that men alone do that.
I did however find it hard to belive that God had no power or plan to enable solutions for us.

It was really helpful in some ways but overall my God needs to be much bigger than this and I found myself at odds with the almost mediocre figure of God. I do belive God always has a plan. The plan will not include bad things but he will work all things for Good.
Worth reading