Profile for Mark Arnott > Reviews

Content by Mark Arnott

Mark Arnott (London, England)

Graceland 25th Anniversary Edition CD/DVD [featuring "Under African Skies" film]
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars A great package, but the remastering isn't an improvement, 11 July 2012
The package is great - beautifully presented, great DVD with docs and music videos - all of that is great.

So why remaster the album?... Again. Its not an improvement on the previous CD release. In fact it doesn't sound as good - just louder and harsher. As a recording artist myself, I am aware of the benefits of "cleaning" up older recordings and making use of newer technology to achieve a more transparent sound. This isn't the case here, though. My CD of Graceland from a few years back sounds much better - there is more depth to the production - more detail. The new version sounds very "tense" and too lou, - I guess to satisfy audiences listening on equipment with no bass and top end where older recordings can sound a bit dull and under energized. Its a shame.

However, the package is worth the money for the DVD and the unreleased tracks. I'll just stick with my previous CD for listening to the album.

Demons: Series 1 [Blu-ray] [2009] [Region Free]
Demons: Series 1 [Blu-ray] [2009] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Holly Grainger
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars What's the matter with everybody?, 20 April 2009
I really enjoyed this series, because it was different, and it didn't take itself at all seriously, and thank goodness for it!
I also really liked that it is set in London, around the old areas of Spitalfields and the city - Jack the Ripper territory.
I enjoyed the look and feel of the locations, beautifully designed and detailed - especially the Stacks (the huge underground library of demon hunting lore). And while it moved a little too fast for me at times, I found it very entertaining nevetheless.
I'd like to see a second season (all those Buffy fanatics: remember how bad season one was by comparison to season 3) - there's so many places it could go.
If you haven't seen it, give it a go.

Demons: Series 1 [DVD] [2009]
Demons: Series 1 [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Philip Glenister
Offered by Bridge_Records

5.0 out of 5 stars What's the matter with everybody?, 20 April 2009
If you haven't seen it, give it a go.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 6, 2010 10:27 PM BST