Profile for Mr. R. Pope > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. Pope

Mr. R. Pope "riproaringrock.co.uk" (Tring, Herts. UK)

TomTom Start 20 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps (discountinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Executivez

5.0 out of 5 stars Yeah, like it a lot.., 21 Jun. 2011
I've been somewhat cynical in the past about owning one preferring to stick with a paper map. I thought I should get with the times and having seen a more expensive unit when a friend came around for the weekend, I decided to opt for an entry level device. The price for this Tom-Tom did not seem overly expensive.

In the box is:

the Sat Nav itself
a car charger lead [which joins to...]
a USB cable [which joins the unit itself to the charger]
a paper quick start guide

This Sat Nav can sit on a dashboard beanbag [purchased separately] if you decide to go for this. It uses a sucker which with a simple twist locks the seal. Alternatively it will attach itself to the inside of the windscreen using the same method. Out of the box and into the car then, the Sat Nav found my home position quickly after powering it up. I set this and I was up and running in five minutes tops.

The first thing to do is to find your destination and you can do this easily using a postcode or a place of interest, once it has searched for the destination, highlight it, and the machine will do the maths for the journey showing you how long it will take and details of the destination. It can also show you parking options near where you are going or if you wanted to do a trial run of the journey, you also do this and watch the proposed route.

First I gave it a local test and it found Tescos about eight miles away very easily. The display giving me adequate time to adjust lane if necessary, giving the correct number of exits on a roundabout or giving me adequate time to turn. It was here I tested the Sat Nav's ability to adjust itself when I made a mistake. It recalculated a different route very quickly without fuss.

I discovered by playing with the unit whilst parked up that there are a number of voice options to try as well. There are a number of English female or male voices to choose from however, only one English female voice will tell you the name of the road you are turning into or approaching. The rest will just say "turn right" or "turn left" when you need to.

I took it on a more sophisticated journey to London NW5 at around 3pm on a Thursday and it coped well on the A40 into central London. This would have been normally a slightly fraught journey as I am unfamiliar with driving in the city, but I came through well particulary at junctions. This is because the display shows [with a quivering yellow arrow symbol] which lane to get into in good time, and I wasn't left with that awful feeling of other drivers staring me down because of my hesitation in choosing the correct place to be.

The unit will beep if you are within range of a speed camera. This is a distracting noise but can easily be turned off along with a number of other alerts by removing a tick from a list under the settings menu.

The journey back to my house in Hertfordshire from NW5 after midnight early Friday morning was quite simply executed. I switched the Sat Nav to night mode so the screen was illuminated more clearly, set the desination to Home and off I went. Initially, it did try to make me turn right where I couldn't, but I insisted and the journey was quickly rerouted towards the M1.

I rate this Sat Nav highly for someone who wants a simple starter unit.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2014 2:26 AM GMT

Tough Love: Best Of The Ballads
Tough Love: Best Of The Ballads
Offered by A2Z Entertains

1.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking.., 8 Jun. 2011
Sorry, but after Oh Yeah Ultimate Hits, Devil's Got A New Disguise, The Very Best Of, Greatest Hits Steel Box Collection, Young Lust Anthology, Gold, Rockin The Joint and Collections Aerosmith's reputation just seems a little j-j-j-jaded. Way too many compilations over way too many years. It just makes me wonder if this band have anything left in the tank. Surely over the years that have passed since the their last genuine studio release, Steven & the band have written a few decent songs worthy of release? Apparently not. Shame on the record company, and if this release was sanctioned by the band, shame on them. Very sad. The songs stand up well on their own, but as an album release - extremely lazy (and that is a massive understatement).

This Might Hurt
This Might Hurt
Offered by cd-dvd-shop

5.0 out of 5 stars A five star rocking debut., 7 Mar. 2011
This review is from: This Might Hurt (Audio CD)
Who would miss a free gig? I had the absolute pleasure of seeing The Treatment along with three other great bands on their recent Powerage Records tour which was a generous free entry thanks to the record company. On the back of The Treatment's appearance, I purchased this CD. Live, I found the evening's showcased songs "Departed", "The Doctor", "Just Tell Me Why", "Shake The Mountain" and the sing along anthem "Nothing To Lose But Our Minds" immediate and most memorable. Back home and in the car, the album delivers the same buzz throughout the twelve songs and I love it. This really is an impressive debut. The pace of the songs is varied but never slows completely and kept me interested all the way through it's forty two minutes. Vocalist Matt Jones hugely impresses and has power in droves with a broad range. This band is stadium material in my opinion and this is headbanging hard rock music make no mistake. In conclusion, I would recommend this CD highly and I can't wait to see if they can surpass their first outing. I strongly suspect that within a short period of time I will queuing around the block (and paying) to see them along with thousands of others.

Soul To Soul/Texas Flood/Couldn't Stand The Weather
Soul To Soul/Texas Flood/Couldn't Stand The Weather

5.0 out of 5 stars What greater value?, 7 Mar. 2008
Any self respecting Blues aficionado will already own at least one of these pieces of modern blues history. This is a great set and there can hardly be better value. Three 5 star CDs in my opinion. Buy this for someone who hasn't yet discovered the sound of the music of Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble. This is a perfect introduction to Texan blues. Play loud and often..

In The Beginning
In The Beginning

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome my friends to the magic of radio.., 22 Jun. 2007
This review is from: In The Beginning (Audio CD)
....and so it begins with the opening announcement from the radio station host. What a gem this is. It sounds just like you are on the front row. Recorded and salvaged from an original radio broadcast from 1980, this recording is an absolute delight as Stevie Vaughan (an early incarnation of Stevie Ray Vaughan), bassist Jack Newhouse and rock steady Chris Layton on drums positively thunder through a dynamic set. Just before the start of 'Tin Pan Alley' you can hear someone in the crowd shout "go Stevie!". He certainly did that night and this cd is a fine testament to that...buy this cd and enjoy it again and again.

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Boogie With Stevie [DVD]
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Boogie With Stevie [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stevie Ray Vaughan
Offered by Oakfield35

4.0 out of 5 stars Step back in time and turn it up, 13 Feb. 2007
I couldn't quite award this a five star review and I liked this dvd very much. I would mirror the views of previous reviewers below, the footage is from a live performance broadcast and is not as sharp as it could be. My advice - sit back in your chair and pretend you're watching the show as it goes out live in the late eighties! For me, the visuals are a minor detail really as this is Blues history you'll be watching. Stevie and the band were on top form at this gig (did they ever play a "bad" gig?) and as a bonus for me (being an imaginary keyboard player), is Reese Wynans getting to perform a couple of marvellous extended solos. Love it! Go Stevie! I am so sorry you're not still around.

One Night In Dublin: A Tribute To Phil Lynott [DVD] [2006]
One Night In Dublin: A Tribute To Phil Lynott [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Gary Moore & Friends

5.0 out of 5 stars Goose bump inducing...., 24 Oct. 2006
From the opening seconds right until the very end, this dvd is absolutely enthralling. A fitting tribute to the man that everyone misses - PHIL LYNOTT. If you like Thin Lizzy, well, you should already have bought this so if you haven't already, don't hesitate. The musicianship - cannot be faulted. Gary needs to lose a few pounds but still plays like a god, Brian Robertson looks a little out of it at the beginning but soon finds the groove, Brian Downey - rock steady (what else would you expect?), Jonathan Noyce - tidy bass, Scott Gorham - IS Scott Gorham. Eric Bell puts the icing on the cake with a rousing Whiskey in the Jar. The sound and editing - top notch. Play it and then play it again..I did.