Profile for Middle aged spread > Reviews

Content by Middle aged spread

Middle aged spread "when I was a boy" (ipswich, suffolk United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Battlefield Hardline (Xbox 360)
Battlefield Hardline (Xbox 360)
Offered by The Game Collection -

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, not up to previous BF and not really BF as such., 14 Oct. 2015
As a hardcore BF Franchise fan, I was disappointed with this offering. As previous comments have said it is very one dimensional, run and gun, team work rarely exists and both sides seem very similar. It is playable as a simple pass time shoot 'em up but not much more. You don't get the feeling that tactics make a difference because the games are so linear. I can't comment on the campaign because I bought it for the multiplayer. I give it a 3 because I bought mine on offer for 19.99 which is a fair price, I wont be buying the premium as I don't feel it deserves the extra fork out.

I would agree that the Battlefield name is erroneous as there is no battlefield, ie no military one and it looks like the name is simply a catch all brand name. Oh and it freezes mid game, a lot.

Spell It Out: The singular story of English spelling
Spell It Out: The singular story of English spelling

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the author's easy to understand explanations and his obvious ..., 29 Sept. 2015
I love the author's easy to understand explanations and his obvious life long enthusiasm for the evolution of the English language. Well worth the read and is decent on Kindle too.

A History of the World
A History of the World

4.0 out of 5 stars An ambitious project, 16 Jan. 2014
I enjoyed this very much, despite in some cases Marr having a distinct agenda, he does resort to some commonly held beliefs as fact such as eastern spice trade being based on the flavouring of rank meat, regardless of the logical flaw; spices are expensive, afforded in the main by the rich who would a) could afford fresh meat b) would be under no illusion that spices hide the flavour and smell of rotten meat, a bit of a small cliché perhaps, but he makes a point of it that does not hold water.

The Sims 3 (Refresh) [PC Code - Origin]
The Sims 3 (Refresh) [PC Code - Origin]

1.0 out of 5 stars can't access load via origin, has taken the code and not installed, too complex system to access it, very poor, 11 Jan. 2014
I bought this for my daughter but the path to actually accessing the programme is so complicated and full of problems judging by the amount of forum comments on it, I am ashamed to say this is the worst thing I have bought via Amazon.

The sims 3 game registration page wont accept the product key, marvellous.

The Grass Crown (Masters of Rome)
The Grass Crown (Masters of Rome)

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't stop reading it, help me., 9 Jan. 2014
I thought the first in the series was good, this is better in that it is honed sharply, the depth of the story and character relationships, a book I can sink my teeth into. I can't wait to read the third one, but am savouring the taste of The Grass Crown.

1001 Portuguese Flash Cards : Portuguese Vocabulary Builder
1001 Portuguese Flash Cards : Portuguese Vocabulary Builder

2.0 out of 5 stars mediocre, 8 Aug. 2013
Average at best. Proofing error in the main intro, nurse/electrician, likewise, the letter R is ere not ede, plus little things like the letter x is often pronounced as a sh sound, as well as a ks. There appears to be little or no functionality, ie the cards are in a fixed order and the book has managed to seize up in the kindle reader when searching or flicking back. I tested my reader against a full book and it worked fine in all particulars which suggests the file is faulty.

Homeworld: To The Stars Book 1
Homeworld: To The Stars Book 1

3.0 out of 5 stars Great story marred by very poor transcription to kindle, 4 Mar. 2012
Great stories, but the very poor formatting for kindle made these otherwise enjoyable reads a trial of patience and sometimes figuring out what the badly formatted word was supposed to mean.

I am not exaggerating when I say that for the first two books that almost every single page had some dodgy characters or replacement words.

The final book had fewer of these, but still noticable and irritating.

Love my kindle, hate poor formatting.

Enjoy the stories though, Harry Harrison you are the master.

James Martin Mini Grinder ZX595 150 Watt, Stainless Steel
James Martin Mini Grinder ZX595 150 Watt, Stainless Steel

2.0 out of 5 stars Grinds ok, but casing very flimsy, 26 Nov. 2010
I awaited delivery of my new grinder with all the anticipation of a child at Christmas, took it home, tried it out and yes, it grinds, grinds ok in fact. I want it for grinding spices as I make my own sauces etc. But the second time I used it, a piece of the outer edge of the transparent lid casing broke off. This rendered the grinder unusable as the safety cut out is in the main housing under the lid rim.

The stainless steel casing and interior look and feel strong enough, but it is let down very badly by the incredibly thin and brittle casing.

I am returning my item and will be getting a different model.

Wahl make great hair clippers, I own three pairs, one is over 20 years old and tough as nails, this grinder didn't last 20 minutes.

Overall a 2.

Paston Letters and Papers of the Fifteenth Century Part II: Pt. 2 (Early English Text Society Supplementary Series)
by Norman Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have, compulsory reading, 12 Oct. 2009
This book with its sister book, part i form an invaluable addition to the medievalist's source material. Logically laid out by sender and then in date order, this is a must have for anyone interested in life in the 15th century. The papers include letters to and from the great and good, to and from lesser folk, indentures pawning plate, contracts of sale, receipt accounts, inventories and the odd recipe.

I simply cannot recommend it enough.

On Divers Arts (Dover Art Instruction)
On Divers Arts (Dover Art Instruction)
by Theophilus

5.0 out of 5 stars A compulsory read, 20 May 2008
If you are interested in medieval technology, you wont find many more books which offer such an insight.

Roger of Helmerhausen (Theophilus) was a true polymath.

Page: 1 | 2