Profile for Middle aged spread > Reviews

Content by Middle aged spread

Middle aged spread "when I was a boy" (ipswich, suffolk United Kingdom)

A History of the World
A History of the World

4.0 out of 5 stars An ambitious project, 16 Jan 2014
I enjoyed this very much, despite in some cases Marr having a distinct agenda, he does resort to some commonly held beliefs as fact such as eastern spice trade being based on the flavouring of rank meat, regardless of the logical flaw; spices are expensive, afforded in the main by the rich who would a) could afford fresh meat b) would be under no illusion that spices hide the flavour and smell of rotten meat, a bit of a small cliché perhaps, but he makes a point of it that does not hold water.

The Sims 3 (Refresh)  [Online Game Code]
The Sims 3 (Refresh) [Online Game Code]

1.0 out of 5 stars can't access load via origin, has taken the code and not installed, too complex system to access it, very poor, 11 Jan 2014
I bought this for my daughter but the path to actually accessing the programme is so complicated and full of problems judging by the amount of forum comments on it, I am ashamed to say this is the worst thing I have bought via Amazon.

The sims 3 game registration page wont accept the product key, marvellous.

The Grass Crown (Masters of Rome)
The Grass Crown (Masters of Rome)

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't stop reading it, help me., 9 Jan 2014
I thought the first in the series was good, this is better in that it is honed sharply, the depth of the story and character relationships, a book I can sink my teeth into. I can't wait to read the third one, but am savouring the taste of The Grass Crown.

1001 Portuguese Flash Cards : Portuguese Vocabulary Builder
1001 Portuguese Flash Cards : Portuguese Vocabulary Builder

2.0 out of 5 stars mediocre, 8 Aug 2013
Average at best. Proofing error in the main intro, nurse/electrician, likewise, the letter R is ere not ede, plus little things like the letter x is often pronounced as a sh sound, as well as a ks. There appears to be little or no functionality, ie the cards are in a fixed order and the book has managed to seize up in the kindle reader when searching or flicking back. I tested my reader against a full book and it worked fine in all particulars which suggests the file is faulty.

Homeworld
Homeworld

3.0 out of 5 stars Great story marred by very poor transcription to kindle, 4 Mar 2012
This review is from: Homeworld (Kindle Edition)
Great stories, but the very poor formatting for kindle made these otherwise enjoyable reads a trial of patience and sometimes figuring out what the badly formatted word was supposed to mean.

I am not exaggerating when I say that for the first two books that almost every single page had some dodgy characters or replacement words.

The final book had fewer of these, but still noticable and irritating.

Love my kindle, hate poor formatting.

Enjoy the stories though, Harry Harrison you are the master.

James Martin Mini Grinder ZX595 150 Watt, Stainless Steel
James Martin Mini Grinder ZX595 150 Watt, Stainless Steel

2.0 out of 5 stars Grinds ok, but casing very flimsy, 26 Nov 2010
I awaited delivery of my new grinder with all the anticipation of a child at Christmas, took it home, tried it out and yes, it grinds, grinds ok in fact. I want it for grinding spices as I make my own sauces etc. But the second time I used it, a piece of the outer edge of the transparent lid casing broke off. This rendered the grinder unusable as the safety cut out is in the main housing under the lid rim.

The stainless steel casing and interior look and feel strong enough, but it is let down very badly by the incredibly thin and brittle casing.

I am returning my item and will be getting a different model.

Wahl make great hair clippers, I own three pairs, one is over 20 years old and tough as nails, this grinder didn't last 20 minutes.

Overall a 2.

Paston Letters and Papers of the Fifteenth Century Part II: Pt. 2 (Early English Text Society Supplementary Series)
by Norman Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have, compulsory reading, 12 Oct 2009
This book with its sister book, part i form an invaluable addition to the medievalist's source material. Logically laid out by sender and then in date order, this is a must have for anyone interested in life in the 15th century. The papers include letters to and from the great and good, to and from lesser folk, indentures pawning plate, contracts of sale, receipt accounts, inventories and the odd recipe.

I simply cannot recommend it enough.

On Divers Arts (Dover Art Instruction)
On Divers Arts (Dover Art Instruction)
by Theophilus

5.0 out of 5 stars A compulsory read, 20 May 2008
If you are interested in medieval technology, you wont find many more books which offer such an insight.

Roger of Helmerhausen (Theophilus) was a true polymath.

The Origins of European Printmaking: Fifteenth-century Woodcuts and Their Public
by Peter Parshall

5.0 out of 5 stars a must for anyone into early print, 17 Aug 2006
What can i say? a well put together collection of early European print from 14thc Fabric printing to turn of 1500 painted engravings. We also get a glimpse of paste prints and flock prints, in addition to some early paper engineering and some photos of surviving woodblocks.

Each item is explained with provenance and condition notes, all in full colour.

The works are not just valuable to print enthusiasts but those who are looking to increase their library of medieval imagery, some rather interesting clothing references appear too.

For the money it would be folly not to have a copy, harback, well produced and rich.

five stars without reservation.

Brothers in Arms: Road To Hill 30 (Xbox)
Brothers in Arms: Road To Hill 30 (Xbox)

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, but not enough creative tactical opportunity, 14 Sep 2005
I was very excited about this game having read the above reviews and will try to be objective.
Yes the game has some lovely features, the graphics are great and the mechanics are fine.
However and it is a big however, it is extremly linear in character, you can only go along prescribed routes, which is fair enough in a stage by stage game as this is, however the limited climbing and jumping means you are forced to walk along routes that takes you into firing lines, when jumping over a low wall would mean you could outflank the enemy much more easily. This happened time and again in the most ridiculous of places.
I think the game is form over function, which is a shame as it offers a lot but frankly fails to deliver.
The tactics are limited too, all you can do is the old outflank and after a while it becomes very predictable. Does not rival the Ghost recon flexibility, even though you operate two squads, nor do the squad members seem as smart.
Not only that but I finished the game very quickly, which is unheard of for me as that doesn't happen very much.
The xtras are very interesting, but have nothing to do with new things to play with, so unless you are interested in the creative team's efforts they are taking up valuable space.
It sometimes felt like an arcade platform game in 3d, the weapons like the anti-tank stuff were ok-ish, but not wonderful. I did like the sniper rifle though.
I would have preferred bigger areas to operate in with much more flexibility in how to achieve the objectives, this game does not offer much opportunity to sharpen those tactical skills nor ingenuity, which when you have limited men and resources is your best weapon.
I give it a three out of respect for the work on it, but not for the actual immersion that I need.