Profile for Mennis > Reviews

The Babylon Rite
The Babylon Rite
by Tom Knox

2.0 out of 5 stars Starts alright and goes downhill, 3 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Babylon Rite (Paperback)
Unfortunately foreign airports don't often have a great selection. This was the best of a bad bunch.

I rattled through the early pages with relative enjoyment before the story developed into a combination of the very obvious or the totally ridiculous. If it wasn't for a series of long coach journeys without other entertainment this would have been binned half way through.

Hunger
Hunger
Offered by FLASH

5.0 out of 5 stars Frankie Says...Crank it Up, 25 April 2012
This review is from: Hunger (Audio CD)
Whatever you think you know, or pre conceptions you might have. Clear them from your mind and just listen. You cannot fail to listen to the record without a smile on our face. Not only is it full of fantastic riffs and catchy tunes it is a terrific album overall.

Its defiantly the best thing out of Sunderland in a long while. Also have a read of their Wikipedia site which is total lies but quite amusing.

Man Alive
Man Alive

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive Listening, 3 April 2012
This review is from: Man Alive (Audio CD)
Wow! The more I listen to this the more I love it. The lyrics are quirky, the sound is unique, the whole experience is quite alternative but that's what makes this such a fantastic album. You know its a great album when every time you scroll past it on your iPod you want to play it and quite often you do. I have had this for a while now and it just doesn't get old.

The whole thing is brilliant there are certainly no bad tracks on the album but for me a few stand out, Suffragette Suffragette, Schoolin' and MY KZ, UR BF are all brilliant. I cant compare it to anyone else out thesre it's a piece of alternative brilliance

Given To The Wild
Given To The Wild

4.0 out of 5 stars Top Summer Tunage, 3 April 2012
This review is from: Given To The Wild (Audio CD)
I'm not a huge Maccabees fan, their previous albums are decent and they have produced a few good singles in the past. Given To The Wild is something new, not only is their sound more complete but the album is much more solid than its predecessors.

As soon as I heard Pelican I loved it, I thought exactly the same when I heard Love Me Better. That time it prompted me to buy an album that was alright, this time I have bought an album I really rate.

The whole thing flows brilliantly and you cant help but listen to it from start to finish, it doesn't sound right any other way. As an Indie rock fan its another great example of a renaissance in my favourite genre of music. It works on lots of levels, quietly on in the background, loud when you want everyone to hear or when you're in the mood to appreciate a damn good record. Either way it's a must buy.

Hurry Up We're Dreaming
Hurry Up We're Dreaming

4.0 out of 5 stars Hurry Up and Buy It!, 3 April 2012
This review is from: Hurry Up We're Dreaming (Audio CD)
As is often the case with double albums, this dosent have the quality to sustain a 2 discs. It does however contain some really good stuff and would be a great addition to any record collection. To listen to both discs can wear a little thin but disc one is a quality collection of really catchy songs. Reunion and Midnight City are standout tracks in an album that dosent have any real weak points.

Since the departure of LCD Soundsystem I have been looking to plug the gap. This dosent quite do it but its not half bad and well worth a listen. I would also give Cut Copy a go if thats your thing!

Mona
Mona

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop Reading This Review, Just Buy the Album, 6 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Mona (Audio CD)
How have Mona not hit it big in the UK yet? From the first time I heard Listen to Your Love on the radio I was hooked. The album arrived and I couldnt wait to haer it. From the off it just blew me away, Cloak and Dagger is an awesome intro to what is an amazing album.

There are times it sounds like The Gaslight Anthem, then its Bryan Adams but wait its definatly Bruce Springstien, no its definatly Kings of Leon. With those sorts of influences where can you go wrong. Its just entertaining, simple rock and roll its best. Get it, get it now! You'll thank me!

Passive Me, Aggressive You
Passive Me, Aggressive You
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Underated Album of The Year, 6 Oct. 2011
In short this album is amazing, my most played album of the summer. It might not be ground breaking epic music but it is seriously good and a very satidfying album. I bought it on the baseis that Punching in a Dream is tune and there might be one or 2 other good tracks on there. Good news there are no bad tracks it rocks from start to finish. If you dont have it, you're missing out!

Velociraptor!
Velociraptor!

4.0 out of 5 stars Its a Grower, 6 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Velociraptor! (Audio CD)
Like many albums after the 1st play I thought, what a pity kasabians bubble has burst. Howwever I stuck with it and after 6 or 7 listens I rate it! The album has good depth and variety and while it isnt as heavy as thier best tracks its still good. It wont have you dancing around in your front room like a guitar crazed loon but it will still be very pleasing on the ear.

Father, Son, Holy Ghost
Father, Son, Holy Ghost

5.0 out of 5 stars Suprisingly Good, 6 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Father, Son, Holy Ghost (Audio CD)
I took a bit of a punt on this, I hadnt heard any of thier stuff it was all based on a Pitchfork review. Well it was a gamble that paid off. The album is rich and diverse with occasional shades of Pink Floyd.

Its always nice to be suprised by an album and this ione did just that. From the nice gentle beginning of Honey Bunny it goes onto be a rich and expansive album. Well worth a punt!