ARRAY(0xabe18fe4)

The Hits Collection
The Hits Collection
Price: 3.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre, 8 April 2014
This review is from: The Hits Collection (Audio CD)
Kim Wilde had some great hits - Kids In America, You Keep Me Hangin' On . 4-Letter Word, You Came among them - but she suffered from having her Dad and brother write many of her hits. They sound tired, unoriginal - there's just no sparkle to the songs, which show up the reediness of her voice. If she'd struck out and brought in fresh writers and producers, her career would have lasted a lot longer. But she didn't - and this is the result. Avoid at all costs.

Word Up! [CD Single]
Word Up! [CD Single]
Offered by mustContain
Price: 7.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Get funky!!!, 8 April 2014
This review is from: Word Up! [CD Single] (Audio CD)
Forget the Mel B cover of this Cameo track. This is in a different league altogether. This is fresh, funky, vibrant, a real new direction for Little Mix, and one they'll conquer admirably. They manage to make the song their own - no easy feat when dealing with a song like Word Up - and if you didn't know it was a cover version you;d never think anyone else had sang it. Get a copy now!!

Once
Once
Offered by clubbrasil1
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Before she went off the boil ....., 8 April 2014
This review is from: Once (Audio CD)
Diana Vickers was great when she started out. This single, and the less well-known The Boy Who Murdered Love, and the album Songs From The Tainted Cheery Tree are all terrific. Even today they still sound funky, fresh, original - real pop with added bite. Her personality comes through in each track. This kind of track really showed up the likes of Cheryl Cole whose teeny-bop/emotion-lite offerings just couldn't compare. This was a lady who was going places.

Or so we thought. Her latest album Music To Make Boys Cry made ME cry. It was that awful I only listened to it once before giving my copy to the charity shop.

Sadly, Diana hasn't done anything as good as this track and The Boy Who Murdered Love since.

Nasty
Nasty

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to form - yay!!!!, 8 April 2014
This review is from: Nasty (Audio CD)
Let's face it, after Mama Do and Boys And Girls, Pixie had a lot to live up to and she didn't really live up to it. All About Tonight, Broken Arrow, the album Young Foolish Happy - all were pretty terrible. Nowhere near as good as she was capable of.

But look out! Here is Pixie back to her absolute best! This is a cracker of a tune, and bodes very well for a forthcoming album. It's funky, toe-tapping, the beat belying the lyrics - you can almost see Pixie as she is on the cover, singing her ehart out into the microphone as a nightclub chanteuse. This is like someone took a Ronettes song and funked it up for the Noughties - Pixie's voice sounds fabulous. I thoroughly recommend this single!!

Don't Give It Up
Don't Give It Up
Offered by robert_reynolds6
Price: 0.65

5.0 out of 5 stars And now for something completely different!, 8 April 2014
This review is from: Don't Give It Up (Audio CD)
If you want pop with a bit of attitude, with personality and verve, that doesn't sound like anything you've heard before but sounds like everything you've wanted to hear for years - then this is a song for you. It's taken from Siobhan's album Ghosts, which is just one of the most fantastic albums to have come out of the UK this Millennium. I'd urge you to buy the album too - Siobhan puts unreleased tracks on her CD singles, so don't miss this one either.

The Hit Factory: Pete Waterman's Greatest Hits
The Hit Factory: Pete Waterman's Greatest Hits
Offered by mecodu-uk
Price: 4.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect (almost) pop, 8 April 2014
OK, so there's a thin line between what was SAW and what was just Pete Waterman. To the best of my knowledge, Pete Waterman didn't write or produce songs, he just found the 'talent' and let Matt and Mike get on with the sound. So really this should come under the 'Pete Waterman AND SAW' banner, but who could ever accuse Pete of not hogging the limelight?

Back in the 80s, Mike Stock said something like - if we were from the Bronx and Mel and Kim from the East Side, we'd have a lot more credibility. And, up to a point, he was right. SAW's work with Mel and Kim ranked alongside their best. But every great song there was a stinker - the problem with Pete and SAW was, they didn't care who they made into stars or how - they freely admitted they could take anyone off the street and make them into a pop star. Trouble was, that didn't make them a GOOD pop star, and SAW couldn't move wit the times. As the 90s dawned, with a new age of techno, rave etc, SAW were still peppering their tracks with that repetitive clashing drum machine and banal lyrics.

But wait, don't overlook them for all that. In between the dross, they wrote some truly fab pop songs. I Heard A Rumour, Love In The 1st Degree, anything by Kylie, Say I'm Your Number 1, Respectable, Showing Out - all were pop masterpieces and still sound good today. But for every Kylie or Princess there was a Sinitta or a Hazell Dean, or a Jason Donovan or a Big Fun. I can't understand why SAW didn't count themselves lucky to have a great stable of artistes - Princess, Kylie, Mel & Kim, Bananarama, Rick Astley - and concentrate on writing really good stuff for them. No, they had to prove they could do it with anyone - and they couldn't. Soon they were saturating the charts by also releasing tracks that sounded like they had been rejected as not good enough from their stars' albums, and they'd thought "Oh, just give it to Big Fun instead."

Hazell Dean was known as the secretary of pop and only had a few hits with SAW. Sinitta's star waned very quickly - the likes of GTO and Cross My Broken Heart were throwaway, with no heart or soul to the music. Sinitta was obviously desperate for fame (see for proof the way she desperately clings onto Simon Cowell even now, even though he has a girlfriend and a baby - I bet Lauren thinks she's a right odd one!). Sinitta came to SAW because even she realised that So Macho wasn't going to be a stepping stone on the road to pop longevity. SAW took on Jason Donovan simply because they were writing and producing for Kylie and thoguht they'd give him a try too as he was popular at the time. See, they weren't reasons to take on artistes. Everyone's popular at some time or another, but those with real star power are obvious - you only had to look at Kylie to know she would be around for a long time. Whatever anyone else may say, her records with SAW were great.

If You Were With Me Now - a track included here but often missed off Kylie's own Greatest Hits compilations - is fabulous, worth the price of this CD alone. But for every stunner, you have the pap. Steps, for example - I'm all for catchy pop, but H and Claire????? Lisa Scott-Lee? And Lee Latchford-Evans once admitted he didn't even sing on the records, he was just there because Pete Waterman considered 5 to be the magic number. Lisa Scott-Lee - absolutely desperate for fame - was the only survivor of the original Steps, just goes to show how interchangeable Pete Waterman felt his 'stars' were.

So if you want real SAW class, go for the individual albums - Mel and Kim's, anything by Kylie, Princess, anything by Rick Astley. There's also a great SAW track "Tell Him I Called" by Sequel that's available on one of the Hit Factory compilations, and was sadly never a hit in the UK. Buy this album for the great tracks, and skip the dross. Steps should just be allowed to fade into pop obscurity where they belong ........

Angels And Demons [Jewelcase]
Angels And Demons [Jewelcase]
Offered by Vinylhead
Price: 2.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh my God he's done another one!!, 25 Mar 2014
Amazon states: "Peter Andre releases his highly anticipated ninth album". Highly anticipated by who? Helen Keller???

This man needs to be stopped. He cannot sing, he cannot write songs, he has no showmanship. I could happily live another million years if I never saw his face or that of his soppy girlfriend on the cover of OK magazine again.

Anyway, let's review this pap - sorry, 'album'. It's already selling for less than 3 quid on Amazon, and I've seen other albums of Andre's being flogged in the 1 Shop (nobody was buying them there, either). Let's face it, if Peter Andre's music ws good, even half-way decent, he would be in the charts. He's certainly had the exposure, so why aren't his records in the charts? Because: A) They are sh**e and B) Nobody is buying them. Nobody is interested, Pete - just give up.

I'm sick of the way this man manipulates the British media into thinking he's such a humble, nice guy. He told everyone he'd never had a girlfriend for ages after he and Jordan divorced, now we find out he was sha****g anything that moved the whole time!! This man is very cleverly playing his 'fans' for everything he can get out of them. He has had his 15 minutes of fame - we shouldn't have to put up with him any longer. Mind you, Katie Price puts her foot in her mouth so often she helps him get refected good publicity.

My ears are bleeding after hearing this. I was going to give it to the charity shop, but why? They've never hurt anybody. CDs are supposed to be indestructible, aren't they? Let's test that theory out .........

A Whole New World
A Whole New World
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK
Price: 5.80

1.0 out of 5 stars Somebody help me, please!!!!!!, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: A Whole New World (Audio CD)
Oh. My. God. The reviews of this tragedy are a hundred million times better than the album! I have been chuckling all week at them.

Right, back to the album. I am not a worshipper at the cult of Andre - can these people not see that he has all the life and imagination of a sex doll?? - nor am I one of those, like, really tanned and, like, fabulous Katie Price wannabes. I heard a frightening sample of this album played on Have I Got News For You and - when the audience had stopped screaming - I suddenly found my mind wiped blank, my personality drained, my interests segued to the fake tan section in Boots. I just had to hear this for myself. They say there's something attractive about danger, soemthing oddly compelling about risk - I was about to take the biggest risk of my 40 years on this planet and there was no-one to hear me scream.

I bought it in HMV and took it out of the shop in a brown paper bag. I pretended it was a bottle of meths as owning up to the real contents would've been too embarrassing. I felt the streets grow oddly silent as I walked home with the sh***e - sorry, the album - under my arm. Children ceased to cry, dogs stopped their barking, housewives collected up their washing and ran indoors. It was like the borough of North Tyneside realised something mystical was afoot.

My Mother was hushed into a reverent silence as I placed the disc upon the turn-table. There then followed 1 min 45 seconds (that's all I could stand) of grunting, wailing, and shrieking never previously heard outside of Edinburgh zoo when those Pandas finally got it on. I have known pain - I've listened to Westlife - but this was like being present at a public execution. A Whole New World? More like the Four Pimped Horses of the Apocalypse.

Music can never be the same again after this. In hushed tones, the young ones will whisper to us: "Did THEY really make a whole album?" and we will have to remind them that the names of THEM must never be spoken even in whispers. I hear The Samaritans are setting up a Crisis LIne for anyone who has heard the full album and lived through it. Oh, and there's a Panorama Special on TV tonight - "Katie and Peter - Where Did All The Baby-Oil Go?"

Home
Home
Price: 7.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh no there's another one!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: Home (Audio CD)
Stop sniggering at the back there and pay attention. Something terrible has happened in the world today. Just a matter of weeks after announcing his intention to do a covers album, Kian Egan has produced this insult to pop. We have only just recovered from the pile of dogs-doo-doo that Shane Fill-In (sorry, Filan) presented to the world, and now we get THIS!!! THIS MUST STOP!!! WE MUST HUNT DOWN WHOEVER IS ALLOWING WESTLIFE TO RELEASE SOLO ALBUMS (well, ANY albums, really) AND MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!!!

The lovely Kian even poses on the back cover of the album with a guitar - like he really knows how to play one! Like he knows what music actually IS!!! If he hadn't won I'm a (Z-list) Celebrity he would never have been allowed in a 100 metre radius of a recording studio ever again. This man cannot sing - have we not suffered enough trauma after listening to Westlife for so many years - they were so bad they even made Boyzone sound good, and believe me that takes some doing!!

This is a pointless piece of pap - it's just some bloke cashing in on his 5 minutes of fame by hurrying out a rashly-produced collection of covers, ready to fleece any remaining boy-band fans of their hard-earned cash. This album has been rushed out in a matter of weeks. Most artistes take months just to write the tracks before they even step into the studio - but Kian doesn't worry about a little thing called artistic integrity. You won't find him slaving over a pen and paper (or whatever the electronic equivalent is these days), pouring out his soul, his emotions into carefully-crafted tracks that refect his personality, his dreams, his imagination. No, what you get is what he could dredge up off his iPad - then he sang over a karaoke backing track.

For crying out loud, this 'album' (I hate to use such a word for this pile of proverbial) even includes a duet with his wife, Jodi Albert!! This is a woman whose own singing career was so bad the song-writers gave her second single awar to Hear'Say instead!! How bad do you have to be to come second to Hear'Say????? This woman was in Hollyokas - she's not a modern-day Marianne Faithful or successor to our cherished Kylie Minogue. This is a woman who, when her 'band' (ha ha) appeared on the Big Reunion TV show, all the magazines had to explain to us who they were!!! Yet Kian Egan thinks he is gifting us a track sung by him and his equally dull missus.

If you insist on listening to this rip-off, then please, please get some therapy. The help is out there - we just need to reach out and grab it. I have it on very good advice that The Samaritans are opening up an Ex-Westlife Solo Albums Crisis Line. I'm already on the phone, the receiver pressed to my ear ............... an ear that won't be listening to this steaming pile of codswallop.

And for all of you that think 'she's just, like, a hater, like, coz Kian's, like, really good" - let's see what heights of success he has scaled (troughed?) in a year's time. You can't see that you are being ripped-off, that no real thought or planning or industry has gone into this cheap imitation of an album. He may be an OK bloke personality-wise, I'm sure he is, but that does not give him carte blanche to put out anything he pleases. He should recognise that he was bleeding lucky to get away with his part in Westlife and slink away with his tail between his legs. Reality TV does not give us good music. Just listen to a Peter Andre 'album' and feel your ears bleeding - I rest my case, m'lud.

Kian Egan? Much more Ken Barlow than Gary Barlow.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2014 6:03 PM BST

New Year [CD 2]
New Year [CD 2]
Offered by pauls-books-and-antiques
Price: 1.75

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit dreary, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: New Year [CD 2] (Audio CD)
Sugababes pre-Heidi Range were a strange lot. They put out songs like this one - good but nothing really to recommend it. It's a pleasant enough song, but whoever thought it worthy of a single release? Like all 'Babes tracks at that time - and the album One Touch - it's bland, never really gets going, a bit on the dull side. Certainly nothing like Red Dress or Hole In The Head.

Mind, that's not to say Heidi Range made things better - she was in Atomic Kitten for goodness' sake!! No, the way that Sugabaes really missed a trick was by jettisoning Siobhan Donaghy. Had she been allowed to take more of a hand in writing and producing the 'Babes material, it would have been a very different story. If you don't believe me, then check out her fabulous album "Ghosts" with its witty, ironic, mature take on life and pop. That kind of direction would have taken Sugababes into new leagues of credibility and popularity - I can't understand why Siobhan has joined MKS when she's capable of such brilliant solo stuff (also check out her solo album 'Revolution In Me' - startlingly good!).

So if you're looking for an introduction to Sugababes, skip all the early stuff and go straight to Freak Like Me onwards.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19