Profile for bns > Reviews

A2-Level Chemistry OCR B Revision Guide
A2-Level Chemistry OCR B Revision Guide
by CGP Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of detail, definitely gets you the grade, 15 July 2010
This really was my lifesaver for A2 Chemistry. The official salters guide just doesn't get you the A/B grade because it's far too easy/condensed down. This goes into all of the detail thats needed, without overdoing it.

Downside: it is quite big and detailed - so not great if you like really, really need condensed pages.

I'd definitely use this book again. Perhaps buy the other guide along with this one, and use them together. If you find one guide (the CGP) is too complicated, turn to the other one for easy, midgrade revision.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2010 9:26 AM BST

Economics: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Economics: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by Partha Dasgupta

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected/wanted, 15 July 2010
The fundamental problem with this book was that it just didn't do what I wanted it to do.

When I bought this book, I was expecting something that quickly taught/explained to me exactly what fundamental Economic concepts meant - in a concise but interesting manner too. Like any reader, all I wanted was a simple introduction to the topics so typically associated with Economics; such as supply & demand, inflation and currencies. Sadly, this book wasn't what I expected at all - it didn't give me my no-nonsense jargon-free introduction. To be honest, it felt rather deepend, philosophical and prose-like; whereas I'd imagine most readers expect something more factual, simplistic and somewhat text-book like.

It's a bit like a book about cars - whilst one type of book may tell you about the history of cars & the "passion" behind racing, another type of book may just give you a quick overview of famous models and their core specs. This book is certainly the former, but I expected the latter.

To give the author some credit, I do understand why he took this direction for this book. Now a BSc Economics student, I can understand why he chose to introduce Economics in more rounded, depthful and discussive way. After all, Economics (a social science), is much more than a few theories about prices, interest rates and economies. But if you are like me, and wanted this book because for a quick intro to daily economic topics, then this isn't for you. But if you want something that gives a very depthful introduction into the core foundations of economic thinking, this is great. Mixed feelings!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2013 12:46 AM BST

Revise A2 Chemistry for Salters (OCR A Level Chemistry B)
Revise A2 Chemistry for Salters (OCR A Level Chemistry B)
by Mr Dave Newton

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't rely on it for your A-grade, 15 July 2010
This is quite disappointing for the "official" Salter's A2 revision guide. Although its designed to be condensed (for revision purposes), this really does make it waaay too condensed to be of any real use. Whilst it is really easy to read and follow, it definitely won't get you the A/B grades alone. If you read the specification you'll understand exactly why - this book merely just "touches" on each topic soo briefly;' without going into ANYWHERE near enough detail needed to get over a B/C.

Overall, I'd still buy it - especially if you're the type of person who absolutely needs something extremely condensed to revise from. But use this guide with a lot of caution. It may tend to mislead you into thinking you know a topic inside out - but you will really struggle during the exam because this guide doesn't prepare you for anywhere near the amount of detail needed. I've seen people who did light revision from this guide who just couldn't do the past papers - because it doesn't prepare you very well. Having said that, some sections are still quite strong, so it's still worth having a look at.

As I said, this IS worth buying, but I'd defintely use it alongside the CGP guide too. The CGP A2 guide is MUCH better - full of the detail that'll get you the A or B grade, but still not as chunky as a textbook. Yet the CGP guide is also quite crammed and long, so get this one too if you require condensed notes as well. Use them both together - don't just rely on this one!