Profile for OJacks > Reviews

OJacks (England)

Gelert Rocky 4 Person Tent - Calliste Green/Sweet Pea/Charc
Gelert Rocky 4 Person Tent - Calliste Green/Sweet Pea/Charc

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid and good value, 10 Jun 2013
Surprisingly roomy and quick to put up, even in wet conditions. It's not cheap, but then it's not exactly the most expensive on the market either. I wouldn't pay much more, but now I don't feel like I'll need to because for the occasional camper that I am, this should do the trick for a good while. Survived the first couple of trips far better than the weary campers inside!

The Dead of Winter
The Dead of Winter
by Chris Priestley

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything you want from a ghost story - but no surprises, 26 May 2011
This review is from: The Dead of Winter (Hardcover)
There is a great atmosphere of mystery and tension throughout this book, created by using all of the elements you've seen in ghost stories and mysteries. Chris Priestley packs them all into one story, weaving a mystery that will have you on the edge of your seat.

My only problem with the book is that it only delivers what you expect - there are some twists, but nothing too surprising and nothing you probably haven't already guessed. So the tension starts to go once you realise there is nothing new coming, just a solid delivery of an old fashioned ghostly tale.

It's very well written, with some passages that made me laugh and some that really brought out great sympathy for the main character, a young boy who has lost his parents who is sent to live with a rich benefactor at (you guessed it) an creepy old house where mysterious things keep happening. Despite the cliche, it's really a very good book indeed and should keep you hooked.

The Ring of Water (Young Samurai, Book 5)
The Ring of Water (Young Samurai, Book 5)
by Chris Bradford

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for fans but not as good as the others, 7 April 2011
Sadly I agree with one of the other reviewers who says that this series is now dragging on a bit. It is a excellent idea and there is a lot of excitement but after you know about the samurai and their way of fighting there is nothing more in the series to keep you reading. The plots of the first three in the series are in my opinion excellent and surprising but then this one seems too familiar. I will keep reading the series because I am a fan already but if that is not true for you then read the first Young Samurai books and don't start with this one.

Ice Shock (The Joshua Files #2)
Ice Shock (The Joshua Files #2)
by M G Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting and a bit different, 7 April 2011
I found this book to be even better than the first in the series, which surprised me because at the end of the first one I couldn't see where the story could go. But it's definitely worth checking out this one too. I would recommend that you read them in order because it helps to understand the characters that way. This has a deeper mystery and I won't say more than that because I don't want to spoilt it. Just read it!!

Jamie's 30-Minute Meals: A Revolutionary Approach to Cooking Good Food Fast
Jamie's 30-Minute Meals: A Revolutionary Approach to Cooking Good Food Fast
by Jamie Oliver

5.0 out of 5 stars I learned a lot!, 15 Dec 2010
I've never been much of a chef but Jamie Oliver's recipes give me confidence and even sometimes excitement about cooking! I feel like I'm learning (and enjoying it because he's such a funny personality and that comes across in the writing.)

Enjoy fine food, simple and easy to prepare, in the very quick time that it says in the title! What more could you want? I'm not after fancy food, just the ability to make a nice meal for myself or friends without messing around for ages.

The Songman & Me, Vol. 1
The Songman & Me, Vol. 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, delicate songs, performed with emotion, 15 Dec 2010
I first heard about this album because I am a fan of Joe Craig's books. I had no idea that he could write such amazing songs as well! You will want to listen to his performance on this album again and again, soaking up every nuance and every subtle shift in emotion. It might be a cliché, but you really don't get many songs written like this any more. There is such craft in the writing that it will blow you away. Every word and note is weighed up carefully for maximum impact.

He mentions his influences in the digital booklet that you must find elsewhere on the web. This is very much a collection of beautifully crafted songs in the classic tradition of Billy Joel, Randy Newman, Jimmy Webb, Carole King and James Taylor.

At the piano and with his intimate vocals, Joe Craig performs with a raw emotion that cuts to the heart of the characters and stories in the songs. He may be a virtuoso storyteller, but on this evidence, he's very much a gifted songman too.

Snakehead  (Alex Rider)
Snakehead (Alex Rider)
by Anthony Horowitz

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the other Alex Rider books, 11 May 2008
This review is from: Snakehead (Alex Rider) (Paperback)
My favourite books are the Alex Rider books like this one and the Jimmy Coates books by Joe Craig.
I started reading Alex Rider books because my brother used to like them as well and I have enjoyed them a lot so far. I started with the first one Stormbreaker. They are full of action and you just don't know what is going to happen next.
I would definitely recommend this book but only if you have already read Stormbreaker and the other Alex Rider books.
This one is number 7 that I have read and in my opinion it is not as good as the other books. There is too much talking and too many things in the story that are obvious like who is going to betray Alex Rider and other twists like that which are unsurprising. In my opinion the Alex Riders books are still amazing but maybe now the Jimmy Coates books are better.

The Recruit (Cherub)
The Recruit (Cherub)
by Robert Muchamore

3.0 out of 5 stars Half an amazing book, 20 Feb 2008
This review is from: The Recruit (Cherub) (Paperback)
The Cherub series starts with a bang but doesn't keep it up. Unlike NEW HEROES by Michael Carroll or the incredible JIMMY COATES series by Joe Craig. Both of those get better and better while Cherub gradually gets less interesting and repeats itself more.

The first half of this book is probably one of the best first halves of a book I've read - it's original, gripping and creates a very 'real' and believable world.

But I was really disappointed as the book went on and on. Once James Adams is sent to the jungle for training I started to care less what happened to him. After all, it's only training, right? Then his first mission started and I thought it would get more exciting, but the mission wasn't anywhere near as original or interesting as the first part of the book. He just has to hang around in the woods for a while.

The Recruit isn't as amazing as all of the hype and it doesn't keep the pace or the interest going in the story past the half way point of the book. Maybe if you read it with slightly lower expectations you will love it, but in my opinion there are much better action series out there by Andy McNab, Joe Craig, Michael Carroll, James Patterson and Chris Ryan.

Stormbreaker (Stormbreaker the Movie)
Stormbreaker (Stormbreaker the Movie)
by Anthony Horowitz

5.0 out of 5 stars The original kid-spy, 6 Aug 2006
There might be young Bond now, but that is nothing compared to this. It is the original and still the best action mystery book. I can't believe there is anybody under the age of 15 who hasn't read this already - everybody knows it. So now you have to see the film as well, but the book will always be better.

This book is good enough to have created a whole genre of books which are also excellent. If you like this don't bother with young Bond because it is myuch slower, but you will like the Cherub series by Robert Muchamore and the Jimmy Coates series by Joe Craig.