ARRAY(0xab8ac954)

Offered by konsolenkost
Price: 5.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cables, but there's one drawback, 24 Sep 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I recently purchased these cables as I recently purchased a new Samsung 32" LCD TV. Connecting my PS2 to it using the bog standard AV leads produces a poor quality picture. However, using these component cables I can not believe how so much better the picture quality is! Games like Shadow of the Colossus and Outrun 2006 look so much better! Plus progressive scanning can now be used if a game supports it.

There is one major drawback though... PS1 games cannot be played using this cable unless the game uses high-res graphics (e.g. Tekken 3). A major problem for someone who has 70+ PS1 titles in his collection! :-(

Despite that one drawback, it's still a great cable.

The Pixar Short Films Collection [DVD]
The Pixar Short Films Collection [DVD]
Price: 6.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent DVD... great if you're a fan of Pixar!, 9 Oct 2008
I recently got this DVD for my birthday, and we all had a great time watching it.

This DVD collection (also on blu-ray) contains all of Pixar's short films from The Adventures of Andre and Wally B (1984) to Lifted (2006). Although many of these shorts have appeared on home video releases of Pixar's feature length films (be it VHS, DVD or Blu-Ray), this DVD is still well worth it because not only is it nice to have them all available in one place, but also to experience Pixar's earlier works such as Tin Toy, Red's Dream and the aforementioned Andre and Wally B. The extras are also worth a look.

My top five:

- Luxo Jnr
- For The Birds
- Tin Toy
- Lifted
- Mike's New Car

If you like Pixar, then this DVD is a must, even if you have most of these already!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2009 9:35 PM GMT

Cloverfield [DVD]
Cloverfield [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lizzy Caplan
Offered by CP UK And Global LTD
Price: 2.89

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most exciting films I have ever seen!, 30 Mar 2008
This review is from: Cloverfield [DVD] (DVD)
Firstly, before I go and say how good this film is I would like to say that I am horrified at the amount of people giving it bad reviews. OK so we are all entitled to our own opinions, but by looking at these reviews it seems that many people don't understand the whole concept of this film. The real problem is that people have been going to see this film expecting a good story, a structured plot, an ending that ties up everything, and a real sense of character development. Cloverfield offers none of these, but it works because it was intended. Normally a bad film is bad because the filmmakers wanted to make a film with a good story etc but didn't put enough effort into it (the US remake of Godzilla is a good example of this). Cloverfield however is different. Instead of making an ordinary cinema-like film, the filmmakers watched plenty of monster movies and decided to do one of their own in the style of 'Blair Witch' in order to show cinema-goers what it is REALLY like when you're one of the little people trying not to get stamped on or be eaten by the monster.

Basically, the story goes like this. A couple of mates are all having a celebration as one of them is leaving for Japan the next day. However, the monster then starts attacking new york, causing as much destruction as it possibly can. Using a home video camcorder, they document their survival.

I really enjoyed Cloverfield because of its realism, which is mainly thanks to the 'Blair Witch' style filming (although I absolutely hated that movie). I can understand why people don't like the shaky camera because it can indeed be nauseating for some people. I too hate this so called shaky camera effect, but in Cloverfield I was expecting it because it was filmed using home video camcorder by the characters, who are and were NOT intended to be professional cameramen! I was also very impressed by the special effects and the CGI monster. In most other modern films with CGI (like Peter Jackson's King Kong) the special effects are not good enough and are often a giveaway. With Cloverfield however, CGI is used sensibly. In fact, the only thing that was done in CGI was the monster (for obvious reasons). Because home video camcorders are more grainy than proper cinema cameras, the monster here looks very convincing. I also find the monster to be very entertaining. OK so you don't see it often but, unlike the monster in the US remake of Godzilla, the monster in Cloverfield is really angry and goes around bringing new york to its knees by smashing buildings and causing lots of destruction in its wake. Also, no matter how hard the army try, they just can't seem to kill the damn thing as it seems to be invincible! This is how all monsters in monster movies should be!

Some people complain that the film itself is predictable and not scary. To me, this is a right load of twoddle. Almost everything that happens in this film is completely unexpected, and there were many times whereby I nearly jumped out of my seat and suffered a fatal heart attack! There are very few films that frighten me (even the most scariest of horror movies don't scare me that often), but Cloverfield is not one of those. A lot of the scares come out from absolutely nowhere, often where you would least expect them to. Cloverfield is definitely not for the faint of heart! Even on the bus journey home from the cinema I was still struck with fear!

I went in to the cinema expecting it to be a rubbish movie like Blair Witch, but instead I came out feeling that it was money well spent!

Finally, for the reviewer who said that the batteries seemed to last forever. Although it is true that a home video camcorder does not last for more than 2 hours on a battery when switched on, the battery can last for around 2-3 weeks when switched off. As we only see around 74 minutes of the six hours the small group of people had to endure, the camera was obviously switched off when nothing was being recorded. Also, the camera was only dropped once throughout the entire film (near the end), although there are times where the cameraman would put the camera down.

Akira - The Ultimate Collection [1991] [DVD]
Akira - The Ultimate Collection [1991] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nozomu Sasaki
Offered by Discountdiscs-UK : Dispatched daily from the UK.
Price: 14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The one that got me into anime!, 19 Dec 2007
I was not a fan of anime until I saw this for the first time in July (on VHS believe it or not!), and all I can say is that this is one hell of a movie! The animation and soundtrack are absolutely divine, even by today's standards. I also like the fact that the movie can be enjoyed from two different angles. If you are having trouble understanding the story (which is great but very complicated) then you can just let the film entertain you with its incredible action sequences.

It's a shame that this DVD does not live up to the standards of this classic movie. For one thing, you can only watch the remastered version with the new english dub, which suffers from poor voiceovers. If you want to watch the original english dub (which is quite good and is the one I saw on the VHS) you have to watch it with mono sound (the other is in dolby digital 5.1) and a lower quality 4:3 picture. Also, why does each DVD come in its own seperate case? It may look nice but it takes up more room on my shelf. Has Manga ever heard of double disc cases? It's these reasons why I can only give this product 3 stars instead of 5.

If you want to start getting into anime, then this is a good place to start!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2009 7:32 PM GMT

Dungeons And Dragons [DVD] [2001]
Dungeons And Dragons [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Justin Whalin
Offered by rsdvd
Price: 5.20

1.0 out of 5 stars For those who thought that Eragon was a bad movie..., 9 Sep 2007
...It is far better (and I mean FAR BETTER) than this utter drivel of a movie! Jeremy Irons makes an appearance in this movie, but his performance sucks... NO, make that the whole cast! The acting is really, really dire, but it doesn't end there. The sets, soundtrack, story, plot etc... are all terrible. As for the special effects, they are VERY unconvincing... even the dragons looked like they were made on a cheap old PC rather than a proper supercomputer!

A VERY pathetic attempt at making a movie based on a phenominal franchise. I love the original D&D game, and a fan of dragons in general. Please do not buy this as you'll be wasting you money.

The Last Dragon [DVD]
The Last Dragon [DVD]
Dvd ~ Taimak
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 5.45

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent documentary!, 29 Mar 2007
This review is from: The Last Dragon [DVD] (DVD)
I absolutely love dragons and 'The Last Dragon' is one of the greatest documentaries ever made. Most films and documentaries tend to give dragons a bad reputation, but this documentary is very well put together. Not only does it tell us a complete history of these creatures as if they existed, but it also tells the story of one archeologist and his group of scientists who discover an amazing find!

The CGI used in this documentary is impressive, as is the narration by Ian Holm. It feels as if it was made by people who are fanatical about dragons, and makes you think that dragons should exist! If scientists in the future were able to create their own creature, a dragon should be the first!

The Neverending Story: The Animated Adventures [DVD]
The Neverending Story: The Animated Adventures [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dominic Zamprogna
Price: 4.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Will leave you inspired!, 19 Mar 2007
I still have the VHS of this classic film gathering dust because of its unavailability on region 2 DVD, but now it is finally getting released over here I can throw it away (the VHS is now well worn out)!

This film is a brilliant alternative to the likes of Harry Potter (which I also like very much) in the fact that not only is it a fantastic kids film, adults will get a lot of enjoyment out of it too. Younger viewers will marvel at its lovable characters and enchanting story, whilst adults will enjoy the films dark moments and imaginative screenplay.

The film is made at a very professional level. The child actors play their roles brilliantly without over-acting, and the writing is very witty at times. However, the special effects (that were excellent for their time) look very dated nowadays, and the theme tune (which is performed by Limahl of Kajagoogoo fame) is quite rubbish although it is a very catchy tune.

However, I must warn you that the film may be perhaps a little too scary for children under 8 because of G'mork (a wolf/beast-like character). He is one of the most terrifying creatures ever. I once didn't see this film for about 10 years (I have reasons for it!) until 2006 when Channel 5 showed it. G'mork gave me nightmares when I was young, and even when watching it last year (at the age of 20) I still screamed and ran behind the sofa when he lept out of the cave! How this film got away with a U certificate is anyone's guess!

This is my fourth fave film of all time after the 3 LOTR films. I'm currently writing my own little fantasy adventure, and much of it pays homage to this film. This comes to show you how truly great this film is!

What a pity it was followed by the OK 2nd and rubbish 3rd films. This first film is a classic but overall the series was quite poor.

Another World: 15th Anniversary Edition (PC CD)
Another World: 15th Anniversary Edition (PC CD)
Offered by The Happy Zombie
Price: 2.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome game!, 18 Mar 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
My dad had this game on his Commodore Amiga, and it is without a doubt one of the greatest games of all time! Me and my brother absolutely loved this and we both played it to death!

To those who have never played or even heard of this game before, you play the role of Lester Chaykin who has been zapped into a strange alien world by a lightning storm whilst doing an experiment at a laboratory. The world he has entered is a very dark world full of deadly creatures, traps, slavery and war. You eventually befriend an alien (who you meet early on as your cell mate as you are eventually captured), and together the two of you must try to escape the city of which both of you are being held.

The reason why this game is such a favourite among many gamers is because of one thing... the sheer imagination! The amount of effort that was put into creating the alien world is fantastic. All of the locations and creatures are beautifully realised, and although the graphics look dated the superb animation still shines through today as it did back in 1991. Even the tiniest details, such as Lester opening a can of pop, still makes me smile.

But it's not just the brilliant world and its inhabitants that make this game great. The game's atmosphere makes you feel like you are Lester himself. Every scene in the game is packed full of little details. One example is that in the first scene, as you are walking across a land full of rocks, you can hear the wind whistling in the background. Occasionally the screen will also shake and you'll hear a rumbling sound, as well as seeing small rocks falling in the background! :)

Another thing to note is that because it is set in a dark alien world, you'd expect it to be scary right? Well guess what... Another World succeeds at that too! The beast that drops down in front of you still scares me today, and the caves scene is still downright frightening as they are very dark and you always have a feeling that there will be some kind of nasty monster lurking around the corner.

One final thing I would like to point out is the wonderful music and SFX by Jean-Francois Fretas. The SFX is absolutely amazing in this game, right down to the firing of the laser gun! Music wise, there are only two tunes played throughout the game (the intro and the ending), but both of them are fantastic. They capture the feeling and essence of the game perfectly, and are the most memorable tunes ever produced for a video game. In fact, I am humming the tunes right now as I type this!

This game puts most modern games to shame. If your knowledge of retro gaming is restricted to the likes of Sonic, Mario, Pac Man etc, try this out and compare to games like Sonic 1 (ie games released in 1991). You will see that this game is vastly different, and why it is loved so much.

Despite me finishing the game about 100 times, I still bought this set as I still love this game to bits after all these years. I urge those who don't have this one in their collection to buy this immediately!

Eragon (2 disc) [DVD]
Eragon (2 disc) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Edward Speleers
Price: 3.95

3.0 out of 5 stars not a classic, but still very good, 11 Jan 2007
This review is from: Eragon (2 disc) [DVD] (DVD)
Being a fan of dragons and in the middle of writing a story about one, I was very excited when I first saw the trailer for Eragon. When I my dad took me to the cinema a few weeks ago I had mixed feelings because of the very poor reviews it got. Neither of us had read the book, but we came out of the cinema smiling. It was fun, entertaining and was well worth it.

For those of you who have not seen the film or read the book, the story itself is Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope but retold as a fantasy adventure rather than sci-fi. It's about a 17 year old boy called Eragon who finds a polished stone in the nearby forest. After desperate attempts to sell it he finds out that the stone is really an egg when he sees a young dragon hatch from it. Eragon eventually finds out that he is one of the legendary dragon riders after meeting Brom, who used to be a dragon rider himself. Eragon learns that he will have to move on and become a dragon rider and to stop the evil King Galbatorix from ruling the land.

However, it is not the classic that it should have been which is the shame as the film has a lot of potential. The reason it is not a classic is because of one thing: the screenplay. Absolute rubbish!

The dialogue is indeed poor, with lines like "there is nothing left for you to fear, my king" and "this royalty will be punishable by death". The acting is a mixture of good and bad. The best performer in the film has to be Rachel Weisz as the voice of Saphira but she's only a voice over. The best 'acting' performance IMO is Jeremy Irons as Brom, although Ed Speleers wasn't too bad as Eragon, considering that it is the first time he has ever acted in anything. However, the worst actor in the movie has to be John Malkovich as King Galbatorix. His performance was very poor in this movie. The pace of the film is also a bit too fast in places. I also hear that most of the book is missing from the film, but let's be positive about that. Scenes from the book will always be axed when it is adapted into a film.

However, there are some really great things about this film. For one thing, this film WILL leave you breathless! The special effects, created by the legendary studio Industrial Light and Magic, are the greatest effects I have ever seen in a long time. Although still not quite Jurassic Park standard, the CGI is VERY convincing. As for Saphira... she is GORGEOUS! She is without a doubt the best looking dragon I have ever seen in a film! I almost wanted to jump into the screen and ride on her! Of course that is not possible, but the dragon flight scenes made up for it. Whenever Saphira flew, she flew so fast that my stomach began to churn! If you have seen the trailers do not be put off by the fact that she has feathers for wings, as she still looks and acts like a dragon in the actual film. It is worth seeing the movie just to see her.

But it's not just the special effects that make up for the poor screenplay. There's also some very good set design here, and the soundtrack really fits in with the action.

Overall it is not a classic, but is not worth the poor reviews it is getting. I found it gripping, exciting and stimulating right through to the end. The screenplay sucks (hence the 4 star rating) but in the end the film entertains you, which is what you want a film to do and the reason why you watch films in the first place.

IMO this is the best dragon film ever made, and far better than Dragonheart (which is a terrible film). I recommended this to anyone who is a dragon fanatic like me!

Acting: 6/10

Cars [DVD] (2006)
Dvd ~ Owen Wilson
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 4 Dec 2006
This review is from: Cars [DVD] (2006) (DVD)
I haven't got this DVD yet, but I went with a friend to see it in the summer (both of us are 20) and it is a truly great film. The animation is cool, the voice-talent is superb and the story is brilliant.

For those who haven't seen it, it's set in a world where all live creatures are vehicles. It tells the story of a racing car named Lightning McQueen who is trying to win his first Piston Cup championship. The final race ends with a tie between McQueen and two other cars, causing a tie-breaker to take place somewhere else the following week. Unfotunately, McQueen wakes up and unexpectedly finds himself in an abandoned town called Radiator Springs, of which the residents are very happy to see him as they have not had a customer for years. At first McQueen is doing his best to get out of town and join the race, but as he continues to stay in Radiator Springs he learns to care for everyone else, and that trying to beat others just to get an empty cup is not worth it.

I really can't believe that some people here are saying that it isn't funny and that the story is crap. IMO this is one of Pixar's best films. It is my third favourite Pixar film (after Toy Story 1&2). My friend hates all the Pixar films except this one, and both of us find it exciting and funny (the cow (or should that be 'tractor'?) tipping scene is hilarious!). I am a big film fan, and this is without a doubt one of my faves (my all time fave is the third LOTR film but I can't compare it to this as it is an entirely different film).

Even if you don't like cars, you should definitely buy this DVD. A real classic!

Page: 1 | 2