Profile for TG > Reviews

Content by TG

TG (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
The Ballad of Halo Jones (2000 AD)
The Ballad of Halo Jones (2000 AD)
by Ian Gibson

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't regret turning a single page until the last., 19 July 2016
I can't remember reading (or even seeing) this in 2000AD but I would likely be focusing on the male characters.
Perhaps I read the first episodes of book1 and dismissed it as one of those quirky occasional stories.... it is difficult with the slang *and* a bit of a slowburner. I had recently got some Rogue Trooper volumes after watching the Story of 2000AD and that documentary spoke highly of it.
So... why not give it a go.
First, there's a lot of comments on print quality which I didn't notice. Book 3 *does* have a challenging text size but my reading glasses sorted that out.
BUT.... the story is sublime.
It's one of those genius tales where you don't realise where you're going or, more importantly, how far you've come, until you get there.
The artwork is right up there as well (which is what you'd expect from these artists).
I only regretted turning the last page as I realised there was no more to read.

XP-Pen Drawing Anti-fouling Lycra Graphics Two-Finger Glove S/M/L Size (Free Size)
Offered by XP-PEN Technology (Drawing Different)

5.0 out of 5 stars TBH I feel a bit stupid wearing it as I only dabble with digital art ..., 19 July 2016
Fits my average size adult-male hand well.
Stitching is all OK (but only had it for a couple of weeks).
TBH I feel a bit stupid wearing it as I only dabble with digital art BUT it makes a difference especially in the warmer evenings.
It does make my hand hot but at least it prevents my hand sticking to the tablet surface.

Maxtor M3 2 TB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black
Maxtor M3 2 TB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Ditch the provided Software and best used for photos/music/videos., 19 July 2016
It's small and quite quiet but worth buying a case to go with it as lightweight.
Maxtor (Samsung) have a decent reputation so paying approx. £70 was OK.
I bought this to back-up photos and videos which are sitting on an older USB 2.0 connected external hard-drive.
So, even though the Maxtor is connected via USB 3.0, I realise I won't get the high-speed. The drive being backed-up does also have quite a few smaller files which impacts transfer rates (a LOT!!!)
BUT, here is where a star is lost...
I initially created a back-up job using the Drive Manager software provided. Backing up around 80gb took 31 HOURS!!!!
I then changed a single file to check the incremental back-up of the software. After 10 mins it had gone through 1000 of 190,000 files with 0 bytes transferred. At that same rate we get.... 31 HOURS!!!
Without using the Drive Manager software (i.e. selecting the disk name, right-click copy and then the Maxtor drive and right-click paste) the same task was achieved in an hour with max transfer rates of about 40mb/s for the larger files.
There's no update available for the Drive Manager Software. The obvious solution is "Don't use the software and you have a 5-Star backup drive"
but that's not really the point.
I also did a quick check on transfer speeds for my internal HDD and my SSD. to see how close I could get to the 5gb/s.
SSD : 10gb of data (admittedly many smaller files) took 10 mins with max transfer rates of (briefly) of 120mb/s
HDD : 10gb of data (mainly music so larger files) took 2 mins with max transfer rates of 100mb/s (and hovered around 60 mb/s)
So
a) not sure what you need to do/have to achieve 5gb/s transfer rates
b) the disk is good for transfer of large files from internal devices (photos, videos music etc)
c) be prepared to leave it running for smaller files.
d) Don't rely on the provided Device Manager software
Obviously once you have a base back-up you only need to copy across new files the next time which takes much of the pain away... which is where some decent software would have helped.
Maths isn't my strong point so apologies for any calculation errors.

The Drawing Lesson: A Graphic Novel That Teaches You How to Draw
The Drawing Lesson: A Graphic Novel That Teaches You How to Draw
by Mark Crilley

5.0 out of 5 stars Really clever idea and I'm sure will produce good results., 9 July 2016
A simple but charming story in its own right. An artist, reluctantly, mentors a young boy. At the same time, it acts as an art course focusing, mainly, on drawing what you see. Really clever idea and I'm sure will produce good results... if you take the time to follow the lessons and practice of course. I have yet to do that as I got, and finished, the comic today.
I do intend to go back through the book seeing if I can encourage my kids to do the same.

How to Draw Anatomy for Comics
How to Draw Anatomy for Comics
by Stan Bendis Kutcher

1.0 out of 5 stars Really? REALLY???, 30 Jun. 2016
Have a lot of art/comic books of various standards.... this is probably the worst.
The artwork isn't great and, frankly, the lack of any art related pages in the Look Inside should have been a giveaway.
Interesting to see the early reviews are VERY positive compared to the later cones.. each to their own I guess.
Avoid...there are so many better ones out there that I can't begin to list them.
Whatever you are looking for... it's not this.

Deadpool [DVD] [2016]
Deadpool [DVD] [2016]
Dvd ~ Ryan Reynolds
Offered by Rikdev Media

5.0 out of 5 stars It's funny, quite gory and action-packed, 30 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Deadpool [DVD] [2016] (DVD)
As last it's Deadpool. Really it's Deadpool.
If you've never heard of Deadpool you *might* struggle... or maybe you won't. It's funny, quite gory and action-packed.
If you HAVE heard of Deadpool but shied away from this (cough <Wolverine Origins> cough) ...... then this *IS* Deadpool.... in movie form.

The Very Best Of Japan
The Very Best Of Japan

5.0 out of 5 stars Had a horrible feeling when I got the urge for Japan that ..., 30 Jun. 2016
This review is from: The Very Best Of Japan (Audio CD)
Had a horrible feeling when I got the urge for Japan that it wouldn't stand the test of time. Maybe it hasn't but it's as good as *I* remember. What's most bizarre is I remember most of the words as well. Blimey I must have listened to these a lot in my youth.

Once Upon A Time
Once Upon A Time

5.0 out of 5 stars Got *most* of the tracks I liked at the time other than Monitor from Ju Ju, 30 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Once Upon A Time (Audio CD)
Wanted a 'Best of' Siouxsie and, after some reviewing of the options, I settled on this one.
Got *most* of the tracks I liked at the time other than Monitor from Ju Ju...but adding that for 99p isn't a problem.
Do they stand the test of time? Well, my kids think they're just noise which, for me, is fantastic as that's exactly what my parents thought :-)

Stan Lee's How to Write Comics
Stan Lee's How to Write Comics
by Stan Lee

4.0 out of 5 stars I think I misunderstood what I was getting. This ..., 30 Jun. 2016
I think I misunderstood what I was getting.
This isn't tutorials on how to write comics as such (like How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way is) but stories, advice and reminisces (?) from Stan Lee and his colleagues. A collection of anecdotes and experiences if you will.
Having said that it is fascinating.
Regardless what I thought I was getting these are the experiences and advice of STAN LEE and some of the most influential people in comic history.

Brody's Ghost Collected Edition
Brody's Ghost Collected Edition
by Mark Crilley

5.0 out of 5 stars I watch most of Mark Crilley's excellent youtube tutorial videos so bought this, 30 Jun. 2016
I watch most of Mark Crilley's excellent youtube tutorial videos so bought this, initially, just to show some support.
The artwork is really good as is the panel composition... but I expected that.
What I didn't expect (and I don't know why) is such a good storyline and characters. Brody is very good. Talia is VERY good. You can even empathise with the supporting characters.
Would I have shown enough support to buy each volume separately? Perhaps not (well, actually not.... as I didn't) but getting the complete story in a single chunky (over 500 pages plus some extra short stories) couldn't be passed up. The print-size is quite small so had to wear my reading glasses (which I hate)... but my deteriorating eyesight isn't a reason to take anything away from a great comic.
In fact, after finishing the book, I now feel I haven't given anything back to the author... simply bought a fantastic comic.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17