Profile for Mr. J. Creevey > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Brunswick BU4S Soprano Ukulele
Brunswick BU4S Soprano Ukulele
Offered by RayGar

5.0 out of 5 stars ... for a child and it is probably far too good for that, 12 Dec. 2014
This ukulele has been bought as a present for a child and it is probably far too good for that. When I was a young teenager, however, I bought a second hand steel string guitar, which had such a poor action (the strings were very difficult to press down) that it was really unplayable. That has taught me that it isn't wise to invest in poor instruments. I only started to play properly when I got another guitar for my 16 th birthday. For that reason I think that this Brunswick is a good investment. If the recipient perseveres with it, it will encourage him to learn.

I have previously bought the concert version of this ukulele as a,present for an adult. They are remarkably good instruments for the money. They sound good. They have a nice bright tone and project sound well and they are also easy to play. The action is good.

I have been keeping the instrument in tune. I have seen some poor ratings given to ukuleles on this site because the reviewers complain about the instrument going out of tune. All new ukuleles and guitars (and possibly other string instruments as well) go out of tune quickly until the strings settle down by being stretched by continuously kept in tune. This "problem" is more noticeable with nylon stringed instruments such as ukuleles and classical guitars. Anyone buying a ukulele should expect this and it is advisable to
have an electronic ukulele or chromatic tuner handy to make repeated tuning easier. This Brunswick's tuning settled down after the first day. By the second day it could be played for a reasonable time without having to be re-tuned; I think that's quite good.

I should also point out that I have relatively big hands and own a concert and tenor ukuleles myself. I can, however, play this soprano reasonably well. An adult buyer should try to establish, which size of ukulele is best for them. A soprano is, however, the best buy for children.

This ukulele also looks good. The simple mahogany finish is really nice and retro.

All in all, I recommend this Brunswick BU4S Soprano. It is a good instrument.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine, 15 Jun. 2014
Bought for holiday use. They fitted the individuals they were intended for. Not much more that can be said about them.

Towel City Classic Terry Slippers (Open Toe) (8 to 11 (UK Size), White)
Towel City Classic Terry Slippers (Open Toe) (8 to 11 (UK Size), White)
Offered by ETHIC-STAR Limited

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't fit, 15 Jun. 2014
Advertised as up to 11 but too small for me and my shoe size is 10. They were for use on holiday and I was left without slippers. I had to give them to one of my daughters whose shoe size is 7.

Antonio Carvalho Tenor Ukulele
Antonio Carvalho Tenor Ukulele

5.0 out of 5 stars Good instrument, 25 Oct. 2013
All in all this is a nice instrument. I bought a tenor uke because a work colleague said it would suit my hand size. I've just bought a cheaper Brunswick concert as a present, however, and realise that I can play that with no problem. I only mention this to provide guidance to first uke buyers. A concert ukulele sounds more like a uke when strummed.

Another reviewer likes the fact that this model does not have any dots on the fretboard or along the neck. I don't agree. This is my first uke and the lack of guitar style position guidance is a hinderance to anyone learning the instrument. It has not helped me at all when trying to play Carulli's "Variations on a Theme", Opus 194 at page 140 of "Ukulele exercises for Dummies". The lack of markings isn't a problem when playing chords or playing by ear but is a problem when trying to follow tab/music on an unfamiliar instrument. Again, I mention this for guidance. I am otherwise very happy with my purchase.

Brunswick Mahogany Concert Ukulele with Aquila Nylgut Strings
Brunswick Mahogany Concert Ukulele with Aquila Nylgut Strings
Offered by RayGar

5.0 out of 5 stars Value, 25 Oct. 2013
I bought this as a present. I have a tenor ukulele but I've now realised that a concert model like this would have suited me fine.

This uke looks good. Somehow the mahogany finish and binding give it a retro feel. I was worried about buying a laminate top instrument at this price but it plays really well. It has more of a ukulele sound when strummed than my tenor uke but also sounds good when finger picked. It has sealed metal tuning pegs and after 2 days is holding its tuning quite well.

All in all I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this fine instrument. The person I've bought it for doesn't know about it yet. If I was really mean I could happily keep it for myself!

Tir
Tir

5.0 out of 5 stars An English view, 18 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Tir (Audio CD)
I think at least one earlier review is a bit tongue in cheek!

I'm not Welsh and so don't need to make excuses for not understanding much of the language. I simply love this album. "Myfanwy" was a song that my grandparents generation knew but it's new to me and beautiful. I know the national anthem ("Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau") and "Guide me oh Thou Great Jehovah" ("Cwm Rhondda" is the tune as far as I'm aware) from Rugby Union and church. Cerys doesn't take the rousing approach to the songs but does them wonderfully well. Maybe she can do something for "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" but probably not!

A lot of the songs are new to me and I prefer the slower ones to the jolly. "Calon Lan" is one song that stands out and towards the end the tune changes to "Blaenwern", which is the tune to "Love Divine" - everyone's favourite wedding hymn.

Sorry that I can't do a proper Welsh appraisal of the songs. I have known some but not all of the songs from youth but haven't got the cultural credentials to claim to know how they should be sung. I just like Cerys' arrangements and delivery. If I understand what she said on "Saturday Live" on Radio 4 correctly, she's currently collecting more general British folk songs (shades of Cecil Sharp) - something to look forward to.

Mitchell And Kenyon - Edwardian Sports [1901] [DVD]
Mitchell And Kenyon - Edwardian Sports [1901] [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Kenyon
Offered by Home Entertainment Online

5.0 out of 5 stars History brought to life, 18 Aug. 2011
Until I watched the Mitchell & Kenyon footage on the BBC I thought that all Victorians/Edwardians would be solemn and staid. I also thought life for the working classes would be so awful (I have read "The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist") that they would all be miserable. These wonderful films suggest they weren't. In one sense it's the shots of the crowds that are of greatest interest. The flamboyance of some of the middle class men's hats is somewhat surprising but their playing up to the camera proves that they weren't the sort of straight laced individuals I expected; it is true though that they may have been well lubricated. The working class crowds are less flamboyant with their stereotype caps and muffler look but they still appear to enjoy life or at least their sport.

Many of the interesting sports clips are short but how incredible they are. I can't believe that I've seen the great Saints (St Helens) in what I think were blue and white hoops playing Warrington at Northern Union at the very beginning of the 20th century. If you're a Rugby League fan you should buy the DVD just to see snippets of some of the great teams (and Wigan) playing the original version of the game with 15 a side and a full scrum after every tackle. If you're a Rugby Union fan or player you might be surprised at how quickly a competitive scrum can form and be completed. I do miss competitive Rugby League scrums!

The football is also fascinating. Newcastle playing Liverpool at St James' Park; as someone whose student years were spent in Newcastle and occasionally on the old terracing of St James' Park I could almost have cried. An Everton v Liverpool Derby game shows a recognisable Goodison Park with a crowd of more than 40,000 and there's much more coverage of both Association and rugby (Northern Union) football.

In addition there's cricket, cycling, rowing and various athletics events together with swimming and diving at Tynemouth. Old Trafford cricket ground footage shows steam trains going past all the time and a very middle class crowd because working men couldn't have time off mid-week. The hills around Accrington with mill chimneys belching out smoke form a backdrop to a Lancashire League cricket Derby with Church (a small town not an ecclesiastical building). A blackened (no longer) Bolton Town Hall is the starting point of a foot race to Southport and a competitor in a motorised tricycle race in Manchester smokes a cigarette before the start as if this was only to be expected before any sporting event.

If you have any sense of history it's a must. Wonderful. But... The sad thing is the children and young men. Not that long before 1914.

Brabantia Ironing Board Hanger and Iron Store - Black
Brabantia Ironing Board Hanger and Iron Store - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Iron store, 13 Jun. 2010
Works well. Concerns about risks of the iron falling baffle me because the cable wraps round the sides. It's probably designed for a Brabantia iron but I use mine with a Tefal ultra glide.

Gloria
Gloria

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 13 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Gloria (MP3 Download)
I downloaded this for a 60's party. I expected the Them classic but this is brilliant.

The Very Best Of Dolly Parton
The Very Best Of Dolly Parton

5.0 out of 5 stars Popular country, 13 Jun. 2010
I've not really been a country fan in the past but thought I should give it a try. I've always admired Nashville musicians but have been put off by the sentiment/slush that goes with some elements of this genre. I must admit that I've enjoyed this album. The familiarity of many of the songs has made it easy listening for me.

Page: 1 | 2