Profile for Bruce > Reviews

Fractals and Chaos in Geology and Geophysics
Fractals and Chaos in Geology and Geophysics
by Donald L. Turcotte
Price: 49.85

5.0 out of 5 stars The reference for those working with scaling in the earth sciences, 6 May 2012
This is one of my favorite references for anything to do with scaling, fractals and a bit on chaos, within the earth sciences. Don Turcotte has an ability to make seemingly complex equations and concepts easy to understand, and brings forth an excitement and simplicty to the subject. A genuinely fun, interesting, and educating book.

Klipsch Image X10i Noise Isolating In-Ear Headset with 3-Button Mic for iPhone / iPod - Black
Offered by home AV direct
Price: 129.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound quality and good for small ears, 28 July 2010
I have small(ish) ears, an iphone 4, and wanted something to replace my etymotic ER4 (without remote). The Klipsch x10i headphone are great for small ears, due to their very small size and variety of silicon ear pieces. I ended up finding the smallest ones the most comfortable, although it is a little scary how far in they go--but they are exceptionally comfortable.

The sound quality is the best I've heard, with most of my music cut at AAC 256 to 312 kbs, and although I really liked the etymotic, the sound on these is much better range and I prefer the balancing (you can tell I am NOT an audiophile, just a keen listener of music).

The controls work very well with my iphone 4, including the volume, mic, pause, start, and skip to next song.

Not cheap, and probably worth it only if you have music that is at high resolution on an iphone 3 or 4.

Bought at Apple Store in London, which made the purchase easy, and 'say' that one has 14 days to try them out and return them if one does not like them (which I did not do).

[The above review was written July 2010]

[Revisit review June 2012]
I've now had the Klipsch Image X10i for almost two years. My experience over the last two years has been:
(a) Still maintain that they are excellent sound quality and comfort.
(b) By November 2011 (i.e. after 17 months) the cord near the earbuds had started to split. I found online that this was a 'known' problem, discussed and documented by people, and likely to happen for people with specific oils in their hands, that caused the wire to become more brittle. I went back to Apple Store and they gave me a replacement, no questions asked. The replacement evidently was a 'new' version of the Klipsch, that no longer suffered from the oil on the hands, splitting problem.
(c) In May 2012, the cord at the plug part became seperated (? my fault, not sure) and again, Apple was nice enough to take them back. They did not have a replacement X10i, so gave me a pair of Klipsch 4 to try for a week (and the rest of my 'money' on an Apple card) which did not sound near the quality, nor comfort, as the X10i, so I returned them. I'm now deciding whether to get the X10i again (through Amazon, as now down to 160) or something else, but still really like these X10i, despite construction issues, for their sound and comfort.
(d) The only other annoying item in these, is that the clip quickly falls off (poor design) and the clip is important to reduce the cord bouncing around. I finally bought 20 clips online on ebay for a few pounds.

I still recommend these Klipsch X10 for small ears, sound, and comfort, but do be forewarned that they are not the most rugged headphones out there.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2012 11:14 AM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Arrived quickly and as advertised., 3 Aug 2009
Arrived quickly and as advertised (the cassette = foil + cutter in one integrated block). Easy to install and made a difference after 18 months of having the other cassette in there.

JBL On Stage II Black + Remote Mac/Win
JBL On Stage II Black + Remote Mac/Win

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound but REALLY large adapter, 23 Oct 2007
The sound on this is great, and have really been enjoying it, but the minuses are slightly outweighing the beautiful sound: (a) A REALLY large AC adapter, (b) no possibility of batteries, (c) remote is not a full remote for the ipod. Should have gone for slightly less quality sound and batteries, with the JBL micro, but it wasn't in stock when I needed something for my soundless room.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2008 2:10 PM BST