Profile for Firstclass Stamp > Reviews

Content by Firstclass Stamp

Firstclass Stamp "Lynn" (NE England)

Vax U90-MA-Re Air Reach Upright Vacuum Cleaner - Purple
Vax U90-MA-Re Air Reach Upright Vacuum Cleaner - Purple

1.0 out of 5 stars Badly designed!, 28 May 2016
Plus points: good suction, fairly light, really does clean to the edges, not so noisy as our old dyson.
Minus points:
1) The handle is awful to hold and ours broke after only 2 months so you couldn't keep it pulled upright. Also, if something goes up the tube you can't get it apart in the middle so if it gets stuck at the bendy bit, you've had it!
2) The cable - it's good that it's long - but then what to do with it when you are using it. It is stiff flat two core wire with a mind of its own! It gets knotted up and you have to spend ages un-knotting it again!
3) When you lean it back to use, there is a light that comes on to show it is working. The light is a really, really bright green, and if you are working in a darker room it is blinding. We had to stick black tape over it.
4) When you empty it, you can't just release the bottom and let the stuff fall out, you have to open it at the top as well and pruggle all the fluff out that collects round the filter bit.
5) If you want to use the hose pipe on its own, you have to unfasten it every time from the foot part, and the clip is really hard to get off. If you had arthritic hands it would be really difficult to get the hoses on and off every time.
6) The extra bit that comes with it stops working if it comes into contact with anything, so you have to angle it so it barely touches the carpet or whatever you are trying to use it on.

We chose it because it was cheap, ( on special offer). We really wish we hadn't.

Holy Island: A DCI Ryan Mystery (The DCI Ryan Mysteries Book 1)
Holy Island: A DCI Ryan Mystery (The DCI Ryan Mysteries Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Bitter disappoinment, 11 Jan. 2016
I don't often write reviews but I was so appalled by this book I just had to. I chose this because I live in the North East and I like a good detective story. I have seldom been more disappointed but safe to say I will not be ordering another. The story was predictable, the characters shallow and unreal, and I only finished it (skipping through the flowery common-places) to see if I was right. Which I was, even to the 'Big Reveal' in the epilogue.
The worst was the level of the writing. It actually made me wince while I read: the level of the text is puerile, and if there is a cliche left unused, I'd be amazed, I'm sure my eyes would be veiled, and my lips would quirk but sober instantly! Although my eyes might fix and my expression darken! Then again, they might dart frantically from side to side.. You get the picture.

Andrew James 12 Litre Black 1400W Digital Halogen Oven Cooker With Hinged Lid - Full Accessories Pack, Spare Bulb, Extender Ring + 2 Year Warranty
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

3.0 out of 5 stars Hinge stopped holding - twice!, 6 Dec. 2015
We bought this because we wanted one with a hinged lid. This is our second one. The hinge on the first one broke very soon after we first got it so we had to get it replaced, but the hinge on the second one has stopped holding now as well.
Love all the other features, except the annoying bleep if you stop the timer before the time is up. It will bleep on and on until it is switched off at the wall.

Life of Pee: The Story of How Urine Got Everywhere
Life of Pee: The Story of How Urine Got Everywhere
by Sally Magnusson

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, funny and thought provoking, 1 Jan. 2013
I am not a reader of non-fiction but this book is wonderful. I found myself fascinated by the history of pee usage, the role it has played in clothing, skin care, health care and so much more. It is tongue-in-cheek but never tasteless! In its a-z format it is a book to dip in and out of, possibly to be kept in the most appropriate room while you do so. I really enjoyed it and definitely recommend it as an interesting social history with a difference.

The Casual Vacancy
The Casual Vacancy
by J. K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars A novel she needed to write?, 31 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Casual Vacancy (Hardcover)
I have been a big fan of J K Rowling since reading the first Potter book, not just because I loved the magic of Potter's world but because I love her as a story teller. This book was not an enjoyable read in some ways - as previous reviewers have said many of the characters are difficult to like and the world that Krystal lives in is not one I like to think about, but it was certainly a roller-coaster of a ride, and again I found it unput-downable. I felt very much that this was a novel she needed to write - obviously based, as I'm sure it is, on her work with underprivileged children and their bleak and terrible lives that are probably as far from Harry's magical world as it is possible to get. I look very much forward to reading more of her magical 'non-magic world' books in the future.

The Captive Queen
The Captive Queen
by Alison Weir

1.0 out of 5 stars Sex with wimples!, 5 May 2010
This review is from: The Captive Queen (Hardcover)
In the words of Dorothy Parker "this book should be hurled with great force across the room"! I have never been so disappointed in a book in my life.

Last year when in France I thought that someone should write a book about the amazing woman that Eleanor of Aquitaine must have been. BUT THIS ISN'T IT!!!

I admittedly only managed a few pages at the beginning but I feel I learned all I needed to know about Eleanor's affair with Geoffrey of Anjou and how they coupled on silken sheets and he brought her to pleasures her husband with his very small member could not (when she was not pleasuring herself that is) and how she first had an affair with one Macabru who first introduced her to her clitoris and taught her to pleasure herself.... get the picture? No - well I will continue ( and remember that we are only at the beginning of this travesty of a book). She is thinking lustfully about Geoffrey until she meets his 18 year old son,Henry (later to be King of England) - whereupon she switches her lustful thoughts to him ... and yup - she pleasures herself again - although later he comes to her (apparently although queen of France she was able to entertain lovers willy-nilly - pun intended), and we are treated to a description of their first coupling and - happily - reassured that he knows about clitorises and can pleasure her appropriately. At this point I was ready to give up in sheer disgusted disbelief, but I thought I'd give it a bit longer, so I read the next two pages... during which I was told that during a hot ride across France Henry and his father decide to have a swim - I'm afraid I collapsed with laughter as Henry eyed his father's enormous manhood, and although out of respect for the property of Durham library I refrained from hurling it across the room, I did lay it aside and reached for something better.
This isn't a book about Eleanor, it is about sex sex and more sex - with wimples. If you like lots of descriptions of sex - read it. If like me you want to read a book about Eleanor of Aquitaine - avoid it like the plague!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2013 8:27 AM BST

Wedding Season
Wedding Season
by Katie Fforde

1.0 out of 5 stars Sad reader, 13 July 2008
This review is from: Wedding Season (Hardcover)
I have been a fan of Katie Fford's from her earliest works 'The Rose Revived' and 'Stately Pursuits', but this one, like the last couple of her's, have made me decide I will not read any more. This one was trite, boring and so horribly predicatable - right from the beginning I knew what was going to happen to all 3 women - and the only reason I kept going was to prove myself right! It gave every indication of having been written to a formula by a once funny and clever writer who obviously feels she no longer needs to make an effort - her name alone will sell it. The dialogue was stilted and unbelieveable, the characters left me completely unmoved. Thank goodness for the library I say! At least I didn't buy it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2009 4:11 PM BST