Profile for Mr. Ryan W. Jones > Reviews

Content by Mr. Ryan W. Jones

Mr. Ryan W. Jones (Falkirk, Scotland)

On a Bedroom Wall
On a Bedroom Wall
Price: 5.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Just Buy It, 12 July 2012
This review is from: On a Bedroom Wall (Audio CD)
I really didn't know what to expect from Still Flyin's follow up to the (mostly) excellent Never Gonna Touch the Ground. That album contains a couple of my all time favourite tracks, with music playing out via a whole host of fun musical influences and was, generally, an aboslutely great "Summery" album.

Looking back, I think I was expecting more of the same. First single Cleat Talking hinted at that but other material post NGTTG was a bit wishy washy for my liking. But on first listen of On a Bedroom Wall I knew I had a found possibly my favourite album of the year to date.

Mostly quite different from the debut effort but really nailing a sort of 80s Cure-come-The Cars-come-Tom Petty sort of sound (probably a rotten comparrison but best I could come up with!). They still have a lot of the fun factor but it's much more focussed now and, without ruining anything, they seem to be shooting for a more "commercial" sort of vibe. I guess that was a natural result of reducing band members to about 5 and writing, for want of a better word, "pop" tunes.

Anyway, do yourself a favour and buy this. If you are into your UK/American indie/alt music with a hint of quality synth action then you really cannot go wrong with this one.

Drive [Blu-ray] (2011)
Drive [Blu-ray] (2011)
Dvd ~ Ryan Gosling
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensational, 25 Dec 2011
This review is from: Drive [Blu-ray] (2011) (Blu-ray)
I'll get a few things out of the way first. Yes, I suppose the trailer could be misleading and I guess i can just about understand why some people could think that nothing really happen but then I would suggest people who cannot appreciate Drive (and I suspect other "deep", thought provoking, intriguing sort of films) are the sort who prefer more in your face or "obvious" movies. I don't mean that to come across as insulting, we all have our own tastes and opinions (hell, some think Michael Bay movies are good) but I do think that with a few films under your belt you just couldn't fail to find this film fantastic and memorable.

Anyway, I haven't purposely followed NFR's film output to date but have caught Bronson and Valhalla Rising. The former was average stuff in my opinion but very enjoyable. The other wasn't particularly enjoyable but did have some magical under current that really gave the film a huge level of intrigue - almost like some message I couldn't quite grasp or comprehend. With Drive, NFR really nails it. From direction to soundtrack to acting to the 80's-ish vibes everything is spot on. My own minor gripes are in line with The New Yorker's in that I dont think there was any need for the gratuitous brief gore shots later in the film when things kick off - things would have been more powerful minus these shots - but everything else is just so special. Gosling in particular is phenomenal in this flick, he really is. I feel that people who think he's too quiet or doesnt really do anything have really missed the boat on the nuances of his performance. It really is worthy of the critical praise it attracted.

In short it's a film that will stick with me for a long time and one I'll be watching repeatedly in the years to come. The song "A Real Hero" that features in the movie kind of sums things up better than anything I could write in that it's a slow, crisp, beautiful 80's tinged tune. All things equally applicable to Drive.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2012 11:47 PM GMT

What Did You Expect From The Vaccines?
What Did You Expect From The Vaccines?
Price: 4.91

4.0 out of 5 stars The Drums + The Cribs = This!, 4 April 2011
This album mines the same sort of 80s period that The Drums debut so chirpily ripped off (in a good way of course). Sure it doesn't have the synths and the same slightly OTT production levels but while The Drums debut sounded very, well, American, this sounds very British (as both should be expected to sound).

I really enjoyed this album. Made me think back fondly to the time I came across The Cribs back in the day when they used to be good (first and second albums in other words). The album has a bit of a swagger to it and an almost disinterested/lazy vibe to it at times which I think sounds great.

Stepping up to a bigger stage is something I always thought ruined The Cribs so in a selfish sort of way I hope that this lot stay on the fringes of the main stream radar - I think they'd be all the better for it.

Anyway, well worth checking out. I think you'd be hard pushed not to enjoy it.

Don't Say We Didn't Warn You
Don't Say We Didn't Warn You
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 9.36

3.0 out of 5 stars A Mixed Bag, 17 Mar 2011
Like their debut album this is very much a mixed bag. Unfortunately this time around the album is missing a gem or two like Dawn of the Dead (one of my all time favourite songs) and has a 1 or 2 more tracks I could do without. In other words, not quite as good as last time around.

As always, when they kick off and nail things down they are fantastic. Wrestler is a personal favourite from this album. I usually despise tracks that sample random speeches but after 5 or 6 listens I still smile each time this track comes on. It is a fantastic tune. There are a couple of other great tunes that shine too and having never seen them live I can imagine they would be a great act to catch (as long as it doesn't involve paying money to see Linkin Park).

DIOYY? maintain their impressive genre hopping but a couple of times it unfortunately sounds as though Linkin Park and the other guff they recently toured with have rubbed off a little too much.

Fans will love this album, newcomers will either be enthralled or comepltely turned off and would be better suited to checking out their debut beforehand. But it's an album well worth checking out - I can guarantee that most people will find at least 2 or 3 tracks to their tastes.

Overall maybe I'm being a tad harsh - I was after all hoping for an album full of "Dawn of the Dead" type quality tunes.

Last Night on Earth
Last Night on Earth
Price: 8.26

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleasantly Surprised, 8 Mar 2011
This review is from: Last Night on Earth (Audio CD)
Wow. What a surprise this turned out to be. I genuinely thought this band were mince. I've got very little time for their first two albums to be frank. I like my synths you see so a smile crept onto my face immediately on pushing play.

This album is a brilliant companion to The Mystery Jets album Serotonin both of which have excellent 80s vibes music. Im not usually one to pick up much on lyrics too but this has plenty of great lines and a great laid back yet upbeat "80s indie" type of pacing. Thoroughly recommended and a joy to listen to.

The Habitable Zone
The Habitable Zone
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 30 Jun 2010
This review is from: The Habitable Zone (MP3 Download)
I have to admit that I've been waiting on To My Boy's follow up album for some time now. Their debut was laden with fantastic tunes from start to finish (check it out if you haven't done so already) and was one of those albums I took a chance on buying having not heard but which turned out to not only have amazed me on first listen but everyone else who has been lucky to enough to have heard it. To put it simply, I love synthy pop tunes and it ticked all the boxes.

This album is quite different to their debut. Quite melancholic and sad but with a maturity that really shines through. I've lost count of the number of times I've played through the entire album - it's a joy from start to finish. It almost sounds like some of the sadder, slower 80s synth gems - it almost makes me think of The Cure's Close To Me at times - which is no bad thing.

Fingers crossed it sells well enough for a 3rd album to get churned out of the mixer. And I really hope this album, and the band, find the suitable audience they deserve.

Liquid Love
Liquid Love
Offered by Springwood Media
Price: 10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A Genuie Surprise!, 10 Jun 2010
This review is from: Liquid Love (Audio CD)
I bought into the hype for Noise Wont Stop and while it was enjoyable it was lacking a bit of fun.

Having read NMEs pretty scathing review of this album I almost ignored it completely but managed to get a copy for very cheap and I have to say thank God I ignored NME in the end. This album is FUN! It may be a little camp and it may sound a little lazy to some but I really enjoy it. Open Up The Sky is fantastic.

If you like your synthy music to be a little more tunefull than in your face then this shouldnt disappoint.

Nobody's Coming To Save You
Nobody's Coming To Save You
Offered by Japan-Select
Price: 13.53

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Mince To Be Frank, 10 Jun 2010
First things first: I loved the debut album. Still play it regularly and find it a great listen.

Now onto the follow up. Other than 3, maybe 4, tracks this is utterly dreadful. The vocals which used to sound like the crazy, yelping of angry youth now sound like some mellowed out apathetic moron who couldnt really give a monkeys on his chosen subject matter.

The music isnt much better unfortunately. The energy and originality that this band used to ooze in abundance has deserted them and now they sounds little better than some 3rd rate High School band - keen to parody the worst of bands the last decade or so has forced on us.

There are a couple of tracks worth downloading - hence the two stars - but they are the only excuse I can think of for not giving this mostly poor excuse for music one star.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2011 2:53 PM BST

The Drums
The Drums
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 4.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Jun 2010
This review is from: The Drums (Audio CD)
Ah you just have to love the bitter people who can't stand hyped up bands (as seen with the 1 star review).

The Summertime EP is probably a more consistent collection of songs but The Drums full debut is a fine listen. Nothing spectacular but as far as "summer" albums go this is a great listen.

If you hate all things 80s you'll most likely despise this but if you have a few 80s acts in your collection then prepare yourself to be pleasantly surprised. All the singles are tremendous tunes and the rest of the album is far from filler.

I had my mind made up after the SUmmertime EP that this would be an album that would be near the top in my favourites from 2010 and I havent been disappointed.