Profile for Peter Radburn > Reviews

Content by Peter Radburn

Peter Radburn "whistling pig" (Huntingdon, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Kenwood Prospero KM283 Stand Mixer - Silver
Kenwood Prospero KM283 Stand Mixer - Silver
Price: 129.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One tool does it all.., 13 April 2014
I had a cheap & cheerful food processor. When I tried to make bread with it, the smell of electrical lacquer burning told me I needed something with more than 500watts, so I began a search of the Amazon Reviews, took my time, and finally settled on the Prospero on the basis of cost effectiveness and the variety of things it is built to do.
I took build quality for granted, with Kenwoods long held reputation. I always wanted to branch out a bit with my food preparation skills, which I would describe as pretty basic.
The Prospero has not disappointed me. Bread making is now a breeze, as is batter for Yorkshires, pancakes, etc. I have discovered the pleasure of a fresh smoothie made with, well, just about anything you want to put into one.
My biggest success so far has been with the Kenwood recipe New York Cheesecake. Absolutely to die for!! I also very much enjoyed making (and eating) taramasalata. Something I would have thought of as exotic & complicated until I followed the Kenwood recipe.
My Prospero is making me much more confident to tackle different jobs, like hot cross buns, and I will be expanding my repertoire pretty continuously from now on. I have found that if you follow the recipe, you will get the results expected.
I have had a couple of disasters, and have found out where I diverged from the recipe, and how it went wrong when I did, usually down to a language problem.
The tools are easy to fit together. When it says not to over process something, it means it! What that means, is the Prospero is capable of completing a processing task with such ease & efficiency that you are tempted to think to yourself, "That can't possibly have been long enough". Something you must learn to guard against.
I give the five stars as it is great value for the money, well serviced by Amazon & Kenwood, and it has improved my cooking immeasurably in a short space of time. Money very well spent, I'd say.

DC 5V 3A/3000mah AC Power Adapter Wall Charger with Round 2.5mm Jack for Android Quad Core Tablet PC with UK Plug -Priceangels
Offered by G+ TECH
Price: 4.50

5.0 out of 5 stars this has the oomph you need, 13 Mar 2014
I replaced my tablet's Charger after I had to replace the battery on the tablet because the battery was failing to reach a full charge despite being permanently plugged in. the old one was a 2amp output, and getting the 3amp output enabled the larger battery I had bought to be fully charged in no time. the tablet as a result now has the battery life it should have had from new, and didn't.

Kingston KTH9600C/8G HP Non ECC Module Memory Module 8 GB / 1600 MHz / 240-Pin / DDR3-RAM
Price: 68.50

5.0 out of 5 stars an easy way to upgrade performance...., 29 Oct 2013
This item is the specific one best suited to my new HP ENVY Phoenix 800 Desktop, according to the Kingston Website. So Amazon quote the best price, deliver it as specified, and it fits into the memory slot on the Mother board with great ease & facility. The machine fires up as normal, and immediately reports the extra memory as present & available, Doubling my available RAM, and I have another 2 DIMM slots left to put even more into.

SSK 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive. Memory Stick, upto 100MB/S Transfer rate . Stylish Retractable Design
Offered by Deserveprice Europe
Price: 24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Saves a lot of time..., 29 Oct 2013
Having bought a new desktop computer, which has a couple of usb 3.0 ports, this item comes into its own when plugged into one of them. One gets used to the speed of transfers, and one of the main varieties is broadband download speeds, which one can do little about. Then there is the speed of transfer over the motherboard's data bus, such as when copying files from one drive to another. With modern bus speeds, this is one of the fastest transfers, and looks almost immediate to many people. Since my new computer has both new & old usb ports, I can compare the two speeds simply, by plugging this item into the usb 3.0 port, and one of my old usb 2.0 sticks into one of the old ports. Then copying files between the hard disk and the usb sticks. Transfer speeds are about 0.7MB/s on the old kit, and about 150 MB/s on the new kit. And That, simply put, is why this item deserves its stars.

HP Envy Phoenix 800-050ea Desktop PC (Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Processor, 8GB RAM, 3TB HDD, Windows 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars This machine purrs along at Warp 8, scotty....., 5 Oct 2013
I had the one day delivery option, which was as good as its word. I had decided to upgrade from a Packard Bell machine I'd had for 6 years, running vista, on a quite well specified machine. It wasn't suitable for running Windows 8, ergo the new machine. But it really did take my breath away, the speed with which this unit does anything. when you are used to watching the progress lines creep slowly across the screen as a software Dvd loads up, then to see them sweep gracefully across the screen in a small fraction of the time is very gratifying indeed.
The setup is of course mostly automatic, so little to cause you grief there. The Wi-Fi keyboard and mouse work straight from the off. you have the choice of displaying to an HDMI, or a Display Port, or a DVI outlet, and they even supply an adapter for using the old VGA monitor from the DVI outlet. I use my 50 inch Toshiba HD, So I can read ordinary text from 2 metres away without having to put my reading specs on.
Of course it is usually true to say that you get what you pay for, but what you can't always rely on is the sort of service you get when problems occur.
4 hours into setting up my old software & settings I started to download the windows updates, and of course there were loads of them. Somewhere in the list was one which obviously had a glitch in it, because after I rebooted as required, I found that the Wi-Fi network no longer functioned, so I had no internet connection. this was quite obviously caused by the rogue windows update. I could get an internet connection by plugging in an Ethernet cable, but it's not quite the same thing, so Out came the list of technical support phone numbers, and I prepared to invest 5p per min for who knows how long. This is another point where HP have scored highly above their competitors. I found any member of the staff I spoke to really helpful, polite, and they knew their stuff. They really made me think that they were solely interested in solving my problem, which they did in fairly short order. I was fortunate that the very first thing windows 8 did was to register with HP, who had the database entry showing my date of registration, and entitlement to 1 years warranty already on their system. I feel a great deal more confident that if I get any further trouble, these people will sort it for me, and that's something one can't say about too many other companies.
In summary, this machine will give you the performance you are paying for, and with the confidence that you are looked after if you need it. That is why it is worth all five stars, and I believe I have spent my money wisely.

SanDisk SDSDQM-032G-B35 32 GB Class 4 MicroSDHC Memory Card (Label May Change)
SanDisk SDSDQM-032G-B35 32 GB Class 4 MicroSDHC Memory Card (Label May Change)
Offered by tonysden
Price: 10.74

5.0 out of 5 stars as big as I need it to be....., 27 Sep 2013
I fitted this into my Samsung Galaxy Note II, and it takes all of my music files (over 5000 so far) and still has room for a few photos or documents, PDFs and the like. it went in like a dream, and is utterly reliable. I have lost nothing since using it, and it arrived in double quick time as well.

iBoutique IB32GUSB2 USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Elite Flash Drive (32GB, Jet Black)
iBoutique IB32GUSB2 USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Elite Flash Drive (32GB, Jet Black)
Price: 8.89

5.0 out of 5 stars all the space I need...., 27 Sep 2013
this is big enough to contain my entire music collection with room to spare (over 5000 tracks) so that it can be transported with me wherever I go and utilised on desktops, laptops, or tablets that can play .mp3 files. A great form of backup, as long as the dog doesn't eat it!

Sawtec Round 2.4 mm Diameter Nylon Brush Cutter Line (0.5 kg)
Sawtec Round 2.4 mm Diameter Nylon Brush Cutter Line (0.5 kg)
Offered by yategm
Price: 12.70

5.0 out of 5 stars plenty of line for your money, 27 Sep 2013
this is a good size for the job, especially at this price, and the delivery as always was in good time so it was able to be used soon after being selected. what more do you want?

New 10 / 10.2 Inch Black Leather Look Case + USB Keyboard With Free Stylus & Stand Feature For Protection Of Your 10 or
Offered by Time2 Direct
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does precisely what I bought it for....., 18 July 2013
This case fits the tablet I bought it for (The superpad 7) very nicely indeed, therefore giving me utility and style at the same time. The keyboard worked immaculately, and being able to prop up the screen effectively makes it into a notebook. Overall well worth the money, and I can recommend it to protect your tablet with.

2012 model 10 inch 10.2" Tablet PC Flytouch Superpad 7 Latest Android 4.0.4 ICS Ice Cream Sandwich HDMI output 1GB DDR3 Allwinner CPU processor 1.2GHZ Massive 20 GB Built-in Memory GPS

3.0 out of 5 stars Let down by the battery, but otherwise i Liked it....., 18 July 2013
This tablet does quite well at performance and flexibility, and is well appointed. I like it a great deal, with the sole exception of the 3hrs or so you get from a full battery, and it often seems to take me several days of continuous charging before it creeps up to full again. One day, battery technology will have solved these problems, but until I can take a tablet out in the morning and bring it back in the evening with a flicker of life still in it and without having to drag a charger around with me, then these things will be unlikely to replace a decent laptop/notebook. It was the only real drawback, and otherwise I would have been happy to give it 5 stars......

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5