Profile for Chris Walker > Reviews

Content by Chris Walker

Chris Walker (Earith, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom)

Asus VN247H 23.6-inch Widescreen LED Multimedia Monitor (1920x1080, 1ms, 2x HDMI, VGA, Full HD 1080p, Super Narrow Frame)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not satisfactory, 15 Jan. 2015
When using this screen, my operating system (Ubuntu 14.04 and 14.10) repeatedly locked up after five minutes. I didn't know a screen could affect the O/S in this way - maybe it's just bad drivers. I've seen no such issue with my previous screen, and none with the Samsung screen I replaced this with, so the problem is definitely with this screen.

Also, the build quality is poor. The stand is so flimsy that the weight of the mains cable pulls down one side of the screen.

In These Times: Living in Britain through Napoleon's Wars, 1793-1815
In These Times: Living in Britain through Napoleon's Wars, 1793-1815
by Jenny Uglow

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly absorbing, 15 Jan. 2015
Fascinatingly detailed account of everyday life during the period, with extensive quotation from letters and journals. By the end of the book you almost feel that you've been to the past and met the people.

How Music Works: A listener's guide to harmony, keys, broken chords, perfect pitch and the secrets of a good tune

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb: entertaining and informative, 13 Jan. 2015
I've just read this book from start to finish in a single session. It's a delight. The tone is light - some might say flippant - but the author smuggles through an amazing amount of hard information with the humour. He takes a subject that is often arcane and dry, and makes it clear and enjoyable. What's more, I can see myself revisiting the book to check on things or to clarify my understanding in the future.

Highly recommended for instant elucidation and long-term information

Effective Java (2nd Edition): A Programming Language Guide (Java Series)
Effective Java (2nd Edition): A Programming Language Guide (Java Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Java book, 29 May 2014
I bought the first edition, and I've now bought the second. Every page contains essential information from an author who knows all there is to know about Java. All Java developers should read it from cover to cover (it's short, too).

JUSTOP 2.4Ghz Mini Wireless Keyboard With Touchpad and Multimedia Keys for HTPC PS3 XBOX360 Android TV Box Smart Phone iPhone 4s 5 iPad Mac Linux Windows OS
Offered by DigiDirect

3.0 out of 5 stars No backslash key!, 30 April 2014
I used this keyboard quite a bit on Linux and I thought it was pretty useful. Then I tried to use it on a Windows machine, whereupon I discovered that it has no backslash key. There are all kinds of weird web and email keys, and at least two pairs of mouse buttons, but no backslash. For anyone intending to enter file paths in Windows this is a disastrous omission.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2014 7:54 PM BST

Scala for the Impatient
Scala for the Impatient

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy the Kindle version: it is unreadable, 18 April 2014
This may or may not be a good book, but the Kindle version is unreadable. In all the code examples, the operators (+, * etc) are invisible. I managed to guess the operators in the first couple of examples, but I couldn't imagine getting through the whole book that way.

LEDER® 12v 4 amp DC POWER ADAPTER ** IDEAL FOR POWERING LED STRIP LIGHTS **
LEDER® 12v 4 amp DC POWER ADAPTER ** IDEAL FOR POWERING LED STRIP LIGHTS **
Offered by bibb_94

1.0 out of 5 stars 75% failure rate, 24 Sept. 2013
I bought 4 of these together with LED strip to use as kitchen cabinet lighting. After 9 months, 3 out of 4 have failed with no voltage on the output terminals.

I suspect that these units are not designed for the purpose for which they are being sold. They look more like cheap power supplies for portable appliances than something designed for a permanent lighting installation. If they really are designed for powering LED strip, then I can only conclude that the quality of manufacture is atrocious.

Either way, a failure rate of 75% shows that they are not fit for purpose.

Genuine Battery For The Htc Desire Mobile Phone (BA S410) [Electronics]
Genuine Battery For The Htc Desire Mobile Phone (BA S410) [Electronics]
Offered by VALLOOOOOO

1.0 out of 5 stars Genuine? I don't think so!, 11 Dec. 2012
Within weeks of purchase, this battery lasts about 6 hours between charges. I concur with the other reviewers: this is a fake.

LUPO USB 2.5 inch Hard Disk Drive HDD External Caddy Case Enclosure (SATA + IDE, USB 2.0 and 3.0)
Offered by LUPO STORE

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely Useless, 22 Jan. 2011
Loaded a disk drive just removed from my laptop, where it worked OK. No instructions included, so I had to guess how to use it. I tried every possible way to connect it - the USB cable has 3 ends, so it's far from obvious. No disk light, no evidence of disk activity, no sign of the disk in the operating system. The only evidence that thing was there was that when connected to a USB port next to my mouse connection, it stopped the mouse working.

Maybe I got a faulty unit? With no instructions, how am I supposed to tell?

Completely useless. Do not buy this item.

Mastering Tomcat Development (Java Open Source Library)
Mastering Tomcat Development (Java Open Source Library)
by Ian McFarland

1.0 out of 5 stars Wasted a lot of my time, 30 Sept. 2003
This book recommends the use of mod_webapp to connect Tomcat to Apache. I spent several very long days setting up a production server following this recommendation. Two days before go-live I discovered that webapp is "unsupported" and that the Tomcat FAQ advises against its use.
Why recommend an unsupported connector? Why are there no guidelines at all on the use of the supported connectors (mod_jk and mod_jk2)?
The rest of the book is OK, but to be frank a lot of it is a rehash of the documentation you get with Tomcat.