Profile for J. Morris > Reviews

J. Morris (Berlin)

CHILDRENS PERSONALISED WEDDING / BIRTHDAY ACTIVITY PARTY PACK, SILVER/ GREY
CHILDRENS PERSONALISED WEDDING / BIRTHDAY ACTIVITY PARTY PACK, SILVER/ GREY
Offered by MustBeBonkers!

4.0 out of 5 stars The pack is resealable so you can add/change things, 2 Feb 2013
Our activity bags arrived today. The customised wedding wordsearch is great. Some of the words are written backwards which may confuse younger children, but it looks fun and includes some other words that they may spot such as MOON (edit: I have just realised that of course MOON is in the word search, it makes up part of HONEYMOON).

The bags can be opened and resealed - I didn't realise this when I bought them. That makes it perfect for adding more stuff, or changing items.

The larger book inside has dot-to-dots and word searches. One of those word searches is specific to the West Country and it has an anagram game of London neither have any relation to my event so we may look for other activity books to replace that one. The paper quality in all of the books is not very high - reminds me of cheap colouring books I had as a kid in the 1980s but kids shouldn't mind.

The medium sized book is a colouring book perfect for younger children than the larger book.

The smallest book is a simple dot-to-dot for the youngest children but everyone will find it fun.

Basically the size of the book relates to the age of children that it is targetted for. All in all I'm happy with the pack. Love the fact that I can change things because the bag is resealable.

Delia's Complete Cookery Course - Classic Edition: Vol 1-3 in 1v
Delia's Complete Cookery Course - Classic Edition: Vol 1-3 in 1v
by Delia Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Guys, try the quiche, 20 Dec 2011
My parents have the original version of this where Delia mentions that vegetarians have a reputation of being cranky... I'm vegetarian and this was news to me. So I bought the new print of this classic to try some of the recipes and see if it would take my unknown cranky edge off me.

A friend took me through the recipe for quiche and it is surprisingly easy if you are willing to give it the time it needs. Being able to make pastry also impresses the ladies - so lads, give it a go, get some butter and some flour in the right amounts and start rubbing them together until it's like breadcrumbs and then start adding water until it makes a nice dough - bingo. The quiche recipe worked great for the 4th date with my girlfriend, abit brave of me but it worked. Most of Delia's recipes are like that; if you have the time and are willing to you can cook a great meal.

Berlin Intelligence Map
Berlin Intelligence Map

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 19 Dec 2011
This review is from: Berlin Intelligence Map (Map)
As someone who moved to Berlin in 2007 I was interested to find out abit more about the history of the city. This map helped get my bearings with respect to where important buildings were in WW2 and important people would have been [I feel that this map could benefit from covering a larger area of Berlin but as it is, it covers the important parts]. Walking around Berlin today it is amazing to think of what the city was like not so long ago in the 1930s and early 1940s. But one thing to remember is that to Berliners the Cold War is more relevent than WW2. They have survived both and rebuilt their city into a wonderful place. I love Berlin and love the way it has recovered. This document is a fascinating reminder that Berlin was once a city that was fuelling evil. I would recommend the book Berlin Wall by Frederick Taylor to give historical story of Berlin pre-WW2 and during the Cold War to give this map some context. The post-Cold War history is still being written in Berlin and although some scars of WW2 can be seen in some places, the city has recovered

The Baader-Meinhof Complex [DVD]
The Baader-Meinhof Complex [DVD]
Dvd ~ Martina Gedeck
Offered by The Happy Zombie

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing..., 24 Jan 2010
I live around the corner from the scene of the shooting of Benno Ohnesorg at the Deutsch Opera in Berlin in 1967. This film brings a history to me that I can't imagine. Like most British people, my main image of German history is of the pre-1945 era. Since then they have gone through the Cold War, which is what their own image of German history is clouded by, and also the student terrorism movement. It turned out that Ohnesorg's murder should be a film story in itself, now that the police officer who shot him turned out to be a Stasi agent working for East Germany. Getting back onto this review: This is a good film! But as with many reviews, the subtitles detract from it. I had to sit next to the TV to watch it... I was going ask a mate around to watch it. I'm glad I didn't, just because of the subtitles. Crazy that they ruined a great film by not thinking about subtitles size.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2013 12:26 AM BST

The Big Bang Theory - Season 1 [DVD] [2009]
The Big Bang Theory - Season 1 [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Johnny Galecki

5.0 out of 5 stars Ashamed to admit it..., 17 Aug 2009
Hi, my name is Jon and I'm a Physicist!

There I've admitted it! If you share this affliction then you'll definately know people in the Big Bang Theory whether it's "can't talk to her, she's a woman" Ray from the High Energy Physics group, or "I'm sehr sexy" fat Bob down in the Engineering department that you meet in the student pub for £1 pint, or "society is like a vector field" strange Gary from the Theory department who only communicates through write in linux, you'll feel like these guys could easily walk into your world and be happy.

It is truely scary how accurate the personalities are. The only one that I don't know is the girl scientist, Leslie Winkle. Girls that I know who has fallen into the role of scientist are nothing like Leslie (one looked like her but that was during my Rajesh phase of not being able to talk to women unless post-Carling). Aside from that, the humour is brilliant!!! I love this programme. It is so true. Watch it and be amazed that people like this are out there in your nearest University!

Remember to lock up your daughters, sisters, Grandmothers and Great Aunties there is a Howard Wolowitz in a Physics department near you!!

Buddha's Table: Thai Feasting Vegetarian Style
Buddha's Table: Thai Feasting Vegetarian Style
by Chat Mingkwan

5.0 out of 5 stars Even I could do the Red Thai Curry!, 17 Aug 2009
I'm a single guy who has never really tried cooking anything more sophisticated than a combination of baked potatoes, beans and Quorn sausages [you know the type] but I bought this book on the aim that I may one day try one of my favourite meals.

Over the weekend I tried the Tofu Red Curry. Fortunately I live in a big city with Asian supermarkets in every district, so I could get Thai eggplants at a drop of a hat. The paste was ok to make [cheaper to buy a jar of paste but less fun], it took a while in my rubbish food processor but ended up being good once I'd picked out the sticky parts of the Kaffir Lime leaves [there is probably a simpler alternative, just search the net or leave it out and give it a go]. The curry itself was brilliant.

I had a guest that didn't like hot food so I didn't add fresh red chillies to the paste preparation [came out as a Thai beige curry because of this] and only used 5 dried chillies instead of 6-9. But it was just right heat for us. If you like to loose the sensation of taste during a curry then you can always add fresh chopped chillies or have a swig on the tabasco during the meal. Now I have enough curry paste to make the meal two or three times for guests, or for a whole week for myself. The instructions are easy to follow - just have the ingredients ready before hand. Brilliant book even for the beans-on-toast-infront-of-the-TV generation.

EDIT: June 2012
The meals in this cookbook seem to always work. I cooked one when I was dating a great girl early on in our relationship. She was so impressed by the curry that she said yes when I proposed. So guys if you like that girl, cook a curry.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2014 7:58 PM BST

Round Ireland With A Fridge
Round Ireland With A Fridge
by Tony Hawks

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius look into the inner workings of a modern bloke, 24 Jun 2008
I don't read usually, then my sister bought me this book for my birthday and one day when the internet was down and the tv wasn't any good I picked it up... it was a revelation, reading can be a real laugh! Via the thought processes of Tony Hawks he describes moments that we'll all know - unrequited love - and moments that we don't - standing in the rain on the side of an Irish road with a fridge - all with the sort of language usually heard in British pubs amongst mates. It's pure genius. Read it and weap.