Profile for Mr. Bruce Mcdonald > Reviews

Content by Mr. Bruce Mcdonald

Mr. Bruce Mcdonald "LazyOaf" (Berkshire, UK)

River Monsters
River Monsters
by Jeremy Wade
Price: 16.44

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: River Monsters (Hardcover)
I read this book over xmas and I certainly enjoyed it. The book represents a good companion piece to the recent 'River Monsters' series and receounts all of Jeremy's tales in perhaps greater detail than the series could. A good writing style, an interesting life and fabulously inspirational fishing adventures make it a winner!

Garmin Nuvi 255W Satellite Navigation with Full EU Mapping (Newly Overhauled)
Garmin Nuvi 255W Satellite Navigation with Full EU Mapping (Newly Overhauled)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely job., 21 Jan 2011
Great stuff; having purchased a Garmin Sat-Nav for myself and been very impressed, I thought I would buy one for my parents. I am pleased to say that this unit has performed excellently, accomplished everything asked of it and, most importantly, been usuable by my techophobe parents! Lovely job.

Gaia: A New Look at Life on Earth
Gaia: A New Look at Life on Earth
by James Lovelock

5.0 out of 5 stars A tremendously life-affirming read., 23 May 2010
After hearing James Lovelock discussing his ideas and his central theme; the Gaia hypothesis, so eloquently on the recent BBC4 series; 'Beautiful Minds', I decided to pursue my interest in the idea with the purchase of this book. I was not disappointed.

This text elucidates in a clear and easy to understand manner the central tenets of Lovelock's 'philosophy', namely that the earth and all life upon and within it represents a single, self regulating system. To me, this idea seems remarkably intuitive and almost logical. However, I think that Lovelock does himself no favours and ,indeed, leaves himself open to attack from evolutionary biologists with the choice of language used in this book. To talk of the purpose of substances produced by life forms brings with it connotations of 'Mother Nature' and her maternal ways that offer an easy route for detractors to criticise what is otherwise an excellent and lucid book.