Profile for PFrank > Reviews

Content by PFrank

PFrank

Undoing Depression: What Therapy Doesn't Teach You and Medication Can't Give You
by Richard O'Connor

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is helping me - a lot, 26 Aug 2010
I am a middle-aged man and have recently realised (or rather acknowledged) that I have suffered from depression for much of my adult life. I have never been actively suicidal but have spent long periods fighting the thought (over extended periods uppermost in my mind for every waking hour of every day) that I would rather not have been born. Medication (which I am taking) helps but does not provide an answer in itself.
I can understand much of how I got to this point but believing that there is a viable way to a meaningful existence in what remains of my life is a serious challenge. If I can find it I will.
Which brings me to this book. Two pieces of advice which I have followed in the past - suck it up and "be a man about it" are disastrous for depressives - at least they have been for me. Reading this book is in part like reading my biography. More importantly it provides a map for the way forward. For the first time in a long while I have hope. This is very precious.
If you are suffering from depression or know someone who is I would strongly recommend this book. It is not a silver bullet and I suspect there isn't one. But you need help. Please get it. This book will help you to understand what is going on and what to do about it.
Large chunks of my life have been wasted as a result of this condition. If the statistics are right I am far from being alone and the more that can be done about this blight the better.