Profile for Peter L. Clarke > Reviews

Content by Peter L. Clarke

Peter L. Clarke "Chickdoc" (Newbury UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Non-Resident & Offshore Tax Planning
Non-Resident & Offshore Tax Planning
by Nick Braun

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear guide through the maze of regulations, 9 April 2014
If you are thinking of leaving the country to live, travel, work or retire abroad for an extended period of time (or even coming back after a long-spell away) then figuring out what’s going to happen to your UK tax-status is critical. Until recently there was no proper guidance since much of non-resident tax status has been based on very loose rules such as how many days (or nights) you spent in the UK. This has now all changed and HMRC have published very detailed guidance. So detailed in fact that even in the relatively simple language it is explained in it is still difficult to figure out what your own status is. I know, I’ve tried.

This book makes it very much easier to understand the new rules. Written in the simple and straightforward style of other Tax Cafe guides, with frequent case-studies, it goes through the various tests for residency/non-residency (which are suitably complex) and then goes on to look at a number of areas of tax-planning such as rental income, dividends, CGT and pensions once you are non-resident. There are tax-saving tips as well and a couple of chapters on offshore companies and trusts.

This is relevant not just to the uber-rich thinking of paying as little tax as possible by living in Monaco or the Turks and Caicos but to anyone thinking of living abroad for any-length of time, such as retiring to France, Spain or Australia. It will save you a vast amount of time and potentially money. Of course it’s not a substitute for professional advice if your affairs are complex but goes a very long way and at least gives a solid background to have when dealing with a professional advisor.

WMF Profi Resist 1756286411 Frying Pan Diameter 28 cm
WMF Profi Resist 1756286411 Frying Pan Diameter 28 cm

4.0 out of 5 stars One the better frying pans I've had, 2 Feb 2014
Although it's early days I'm pretty impressed with this as a pan for sauteing meat and fish etc. The special metal mesh surface is supposed to protect the non-stick finish. Good even heat distribution, good weight, easy to clean..It does say on the instructions that it's not so good for egg and flour based dishes (not mentioned in the blurb) i guess becuase of the mesh finish but I've cooked a couple of omelettes without problems, I have two identical WMF "casserole" pans which are used all the time and look to be very hard wearing so I'm hoping this will be just as good and last a good few years.

Kruger National Park and Mpumalanga Rough Guides Snapshot South Africa (includes Pilgrim's Rest, Blyde River Canyon, Nelspruit, and Hazyview) (Rough Guide to...)

2.0 out of 5 stars Mostly padding, 2 Feb 2014
It's true that it's made clear that this is based on the parent Rough Guide to South Africa etc. but it's not made that clear that about 50% of the book is general information about South Africa and the rest is more or less a verbatim extract from the relevant sections of the parent book. Waste of money of you have the parent book and not much value even if you don't since there's not a lot of detail about the Kruger in either. It's saving grace is that is is cheap but I'd stick with buying the parent guide.

SwissGold Coffee Filter - one cup, reusable - KF300
SwissGold Coffee Filter - one cup, reusable - KF300
Offered by WOWOOO

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop buying them!, 5 Jun 2013
Now have bought 5 of these for two homes, and quite a few friends have too. Word of warning, if dishwashing do not put the filter itself over one of the spikes - can be forced down and ruin it, as I did. may seem quite expensive but not when used over a period of time.

A Spy's Life
A Spy's Life

4.0 out of 5 stars Covered in cornflakes, 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: A Spy's Life (Kindle Edition)
One of my tests of a good read, for me at least, is if I take my Kindle down to breakfast and continue to read where I've broken off from the night before, and this is one of those books where kept doing this, as well as finding time during the day to grab a few pages. The plot-line is interesting and Henry Porter gives plenty of breadth to the characters and soon you are hating (and loving) some of them with a surprising intensity. I will certainly read more of his books.

The Expats
The Expats

5.0 out of 5 stars Grips until the end, 6 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Expats (Kindle Edition)
To say that "The Expats" is a page-turner is an understatement. I read it on my Kindle DX (my 4th - a long story) and I had to resist pressing the page-turn button to find out what was going to happen before I'd got half-way page I was one. And it had me guessing right to the end. Chris Pavone has to be congratulated for constructing this fast-moving but evenly paced thriller set mainly in, of all places boring old Luxembourg. Although there are many twists and turns the plot, like many good thrillers, is almost believable, Pavone does not lose the reader anywhere and there are enough quieter parts of the book to give you a rest and to provides ome colour and back-story.

The characterizations are good too - certainly not either over-egged or wooden like they often are. And to be honest, I had to check twice that the author was American because it has been written in an almost European way - not, for example, scattered with US trade names (i.e. not the usual "she opened the Snappy and poured in the rest of the Krispy Kremes" that you usually get. More Len Deighton than Le Carre but none the worse for that. Hope there is a whole series of sequels of the same quality. Hugely enjoyable.

Desert island dishes
Desert island dishes
by The Maldon Salt Company

4.0 out of 5 stars Good recipes, easy to follow, 19 Nov 2012
This review is from: Desert island dishes (Hardcover)
I was given this as present and thought the recipes were highly imaginative, varied and on the whole pretty simple (which makes a nice change). It's nice to have an illustration for each recipe as well.

Pardon My French: Unleash Your Inner Gaul
Pardon My French: Unleash Your Inner Gaul

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, Bad editing, 29 April 2012
Although the content is entertaining and quite relevant to vacationing and living in France it is spoilt in many cases by poor editing after the text has been "kindelized". For example words with accents in them seem to have a random letter added now and again. Now, I'm just learning French and I can pick some off these errors up but I'm not so good enough at the language yet to know all the cases so I then begin to doubt a lot of the spellings. Spoils an otherwise well written, informative (I've always wondered what CEDEX meant) book.

Shatter the Bones (Logan McRae, Book 7)
Shatter the Bones (Logan McRae, Book 7)
by Stuart MacBride

1.0 out of 5 stars Un pick-uppable., 8 Mar 2011
I read a huge number of books and lot of crime novels and this is the first in many years that I've given up on before I've even got a quarter through. In fact I wonder if it was meant to be a thriller at all - the poorly crafted, wooden characters, the unfunny sarcasm, bad jokes... I'm pretty broad minded when it comes to humour but found it difficult to find much of it funny.If you are looking for a good read, forget it.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 24, 2013 11:32 PM GMT

Ideal Home 3D Landscape Design Deluxe 12
Ideal Home 3D Landscape Design Deluxe 12

1.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what it seems, 12 Mar 2009
This is really a program to design a house with a landscape section added. I admit I'm not very patient but this is really not an intuitive program - you really would have to read the manual (hundreds of pages long) to use it. For example, to draw a plot you have to understand the principles of surveying. I gave up after a couple of hours....

Page: 1 | 2