Profile for blofeld > Reviews

DayDreams
DayDreams
by Nicoletta Ceccoli

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine illustrator, 22 July 2015
This review is from: DayDreams (Hardcover)
Excellent large scale reproductions of the artists paintings. Good binding and quality paper. The text is in French however which some might frustrating. I would liked to have seen details of the dimensions of the originals and the media used but all in all , very nice.

Painting Sharp Focus Still Lifes: Trompe L'Oeil Oil Techniques
Painting Sharp Focus Still Lifes: Trompe L'Oeil Oil Techniques
by Ken Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars There are excersizes to develop better colour sense and perception, 22 July 2015
This book is based on the same course that the author ran at Art School. It starts of with basic principles of how to set up a still life and draw shapes accurately. There are excersizes to develop better colour sense and perception. Throughout the book there are plenty of illustrations demonstrating the process and the results, some by students and some highly accomplished ones by the author. The book is pretty much centred around shallow space still lifes but there are a couple of landscapes and building paintings, with documentation on how they were painted. All in all it is a very thorough book on painting sharp focus still lifes in oil. The process is not easy and demands commitment and practice if this is the type of painting you are interested in and want to develop. If you have no interest in highly detailed realistic rendering , then this book will be of no interest to you, something that seems fairly obvious by the title and which the other reviewer seemed, bizarrely, unable to notice.

Camel Active Men's Barbados Dublin Pull On Boot
Camel Active Men's Barbados Dublin Pull On Boot

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice boot if only......., 23 May 2013
These are boots look great. I've had 3 unsolicited compliments whilst wearing them. The leather is nice and the colour is good.....HOWEVER....they are the worst fitting boot I've ever bought. I'm still not sure if they are too big in the foot or loose around the ankle. I've put in some extra inner soles to take up the space but they're still a poor fit. I'm a 10 and these boots say 10 on the box and boot but they feel considerably larger.I really should have returned them when I could have.....

Congress of the Animals
Congress of the Animals
by Jim Woodring

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 24 Jun. 2012
I don't normally read "comic" books but the books of Jim woodring are wonderful. The worlds he creates are populated by characters that are somehow familiar and alien at the same time. Whimsical and disturbing it's as if Rupert bear was written by David Lynch. Even though it is wordless there is such a sense of a strong narrative propelling Frank..( a sort of buck toothed cat....or maybe not), into all sorts of scrapes, that even if you don't really understand what is happening you almost feel that you will. Beautifully drawn, it's fantastic. Please buy this book and help Jim Woodring pay his bills!

Burns Of London Marquee Electric Guitar In Greenburst
Burns Of London Marquee Electric Guitar In Greenburst

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 17 Aug. 2011
The guitar is pretty well built. Mine has the polyurethane maple neck...which I like but some might find too slippery. The neck feels very slightly U shaped...it's reasonably substantial with with a flatish radius fingerboard. Mine has the earlier tremelo system which unfortunately doesn't work at all well, never returning to pitch. The newer ones have a tremelo designed by Burns and hopefully works better. Whilst being a Stratocaster based design it doesnt' sound quite the same. I've used the guitar live in a number of situations and I'd say the pickups are more powerful than stock fender strat ones. They are however extraordinarily bright. With some amps I found the neck pickup as being the only one I could use as the other positions were too bright. It does depend on the amp...for what it's worth I was mainly using a 50w Marshall combo. I don't think the pickups have the depth and complexity of sound that a good stratocaster has. The pickups look pretty much strat size so I'm sure it would be not too difficult to replace. All in all, well built alternative to a Stratocaster but I just don't like the pickups that much.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2012 2:00 PM BST

The Book of Genesis: Illustrated by R.Crumb
The Book of Genesis: Illustrated by R.Crumb
by R. Crumb

5.0 out of 5 stars Crumb plays Genesis with a straight bat..., 7 Jun. 2011
Crumb takes on the first book of the old testament and treats it in a fairly conservative way. By that I mean his drawings accompany the text without him sprinkling it with any of his "outsider" views. Nonetheless the story(or rather stories) that make up the book of Genesis are for the most part fascinating....and utterly bonkers. Another review here seems to regard the book as reprehensible in that it is promoting an outmoded superstitious view of the origins of the world. I don't think the book is proganda for the Old testament...its simply the story in pictures. Take it or leave it...I loved the book but I'm not religious and I didnt feel the book was trying to convert me. All in all , a titanic effort from Crumb for which he should be congratulated.

Crayola Coloured Pencils (36 Pack)
Crayola Coloured Pencils (36 Pack)

3.0 out of 5 stars Nearly good..., 1 Mar. 2011
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Crayola (Toy)
Compared to Artists quality coloured pencils, these are as a cheap as chips. You get a wide arrange of colours most of which lay down a fairly good coverage. The crayons are waxy and seem to get a bit better once they've warmed up. I would say that they were a bargain EXCEPT that they are a devil to sharpen The amount of wax in the lead means that the slightest pressure of the point inside the sharpener makes it break. You really need to use a mechanical pencil sharpener with jaws that holds the pencil true to the blade.In the meantime I will stick to my Derwent and Polychromos pencils.

Wishbone Ash
Wishbone Ash

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Wishbone Ash (Audio CD)
I have to agree with the other reviewers here. This is an amazing album. Wishbone Ash maybe very unfashionable these days but I can't think of any album quite like this ( except for the next two they released). Part rock, part jazz, part blues with a very strong folk aesthetic sprinkled all over it, it might sound like a recipe for disaster only that it's quite the opposite. Brilliantly played and with some of the best, totally pure electric guitar tones you will ever hear..( and way better than the sounds they produced later in their career) this is a testament to their early genius. God knows why they couldn't keep up the momentum and allowed the wheels to fall off after the release of Argus. Still at least we've got the first 3 albums to cherish.

Let the Right One in [DVD]
Let the Right One in [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kåre Hedebrant
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars unusual, 17 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Let the Right One in [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this film on a friends recommendation, knowing nothing about it, and I hadn't read the reviews here. All I can say is that I enjoyed it immensley. It's a curious film in that it has themes and aspects that put it in the horror camp but it most certainly isn't a horror film. I found the emotional distance of the direction and the characters actually more powerful than the usual emotional incontinence that we get served up these days. Beautifully understated. It's not going to be everybodys cup of tea but I really liked this film.

Jesus Puzzle: Did Christianity Begin with a Mythical Christ?
Jesus Puzzle: Did Christianity Begin with a Mythical Christ?
by Earl Doherty

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 21 Nov. 2009
I found this to be a very interesting read and introduction to a highly contentious issue. My only real criticism is that the book feels slightly back to front, dealing with first with Pauls influence on the teachings of the spiritual christ rather than the gospels account of the actual personage of christ. Whatever the truth as to Jesus's existence it certainly seems the case that his historical presence can at best be described as elusive.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2014 7:13 PM GMT