Profile for Barney McMillan > Reviews

Barney McMillan

Falling Into Infinity [2LP Vinyl]
Falling Into Infinity [2LP Vinyl]

5.0 out of 5 stars Vinyl! I have to say something..., 11 Jun. 2014
Basically my message is this double vinyl album totally stomps all over the CD version (as long as your turntable is good quality). So as far as being value for money is concerned, well this will be the version I listen to in future so it was worth buying.

Further information. The vinyl is good quality and there is a lyric sheet insert. As far as actual sound quality, I have the special edition double vinyl of Images and Words but Falling Into Infinity is actually better in presenting realism, dynamics and a stunning bass. It also really shows up the compression on the CD.

On this double the break between record 1 and 2 is across Hell's Kitchen and Lines In The Sand so I was wondering how that would be handled as they merge into each other on the CD. I was expecting a disappointing fade out and fade in for each track. However it is better than that. Hell's Kitchen does fade out but only in the same way it does on the CD and there is no hint of the following track so a good clean break to record 1. Lines In The Sand has been given a new intro which is only a few seconds long but resolves the track into a single entity very nicely. I am very glad I bought this vinyl version.

Now why can't I find a vinyl version of 'Awake'?

Ok Computer [VINYL]
Ok Computer [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Voting for vinyl, 29 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Ok Computer [VINYL] (Vinyl)
So I'm one of those suckers who is buying vinyl and at these prices no wonder my eyes water constantly. However in this case OK Computer is the first piece of vinyl that I feel moved to review. It is pressed on 2 discs and, if your turntable is decent enough, it will simply amaze you. The quality is superb and gives a fresh experience to what is a familiar album. The percussion, dynamics and sense of space delights.

Also as a by product the album is obviously split into 4 chunks and these also work in a beautiful way. Take side 2, Exit Music - Let Down - Karma Police. Starting with a casually strummed guitar and cavernous voice and ending with a buzzing electric death cry the journey through those 3 songs is sublime. It has made me appreciate the music much more than the casual CD experience.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2014 11:27 PM GMT

Duracell Rechargeable D Size Batteries, 2 Batteries
Duracell Rechargeable D Size Batteries, 2 Batteries

4.0 out of 5 stars Accepting limitations they work well, 2 Feb. 2014
I use 6 of these in a Roberts Stream 205. In my first test of continual use after the first charge I got around 4 and a half hours of sound. On further charges this has improved a little. The batteries are only used when the radio is in the bathroom, I now get between 5 and 7 hours of use in 45 minute chunks (I like a leisurely bath!). Also there is no gradual fade with these, they keep going till the sound just stops. This may be different if using in a torch.

Regarding some of the criticisms. I agree the power rating is very low, even Roberts seems to acknowledge this and recommend not using batteries at all in the Stream radio (though the option is given?!). But I do get around 75% of the playing time that normal batteries were giving me and it was costing a tenner a go with those. This is the best alternative for my needs. I also wonder if there is an aspect of feasability in Duracells thinking - if they made a full power version then it may take an enormous amount of time to charge which would be even more unacceptable to us punters.

Another 10 Classical Essentials  for the Ukulele: Volume 2
Another 10 Classical Essentials for the Ukulele: Volume 2
by Stephanie Yung

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 Dec. 2013
I got this for Sor - Variations on a Theme of Mozart. The rest of the tunes are also great. Arrangements like these are not too common for the uke so this, and the other books in the range are like precious jewels to me. An added bonus is you can find certain of these tunes (relating directly to this book) on you tube so you can get a sense of timing. There is only one thing that detracts - the print area is quite small with big margins around all sides. This means an involved tune such as the Canon is spread out over several pages which interrupts progress. Still top marks for these arrangements.

CLEAR GROOVE - Advanced Vinyl Record Cleaner
CLEAR GROOVE - Advanced Vinyl Record Cleaner
Offered by Net Utopia

4.0 out of 5 stars It works - bottle isn't post friendly though, 29 Dec. 2013
I have to start with a comment about the posting/packing. Initially I received an empty bottle with 2 soaked cloths that Royal Mail had done their best to preserve in a sealed plastic bag. Net Utopia instantly sent out a (much better wrapped) replacement so a gold star to them for responding so well.

The product itself is working very well for me. 250ml is a very sizeable amount and will last a long time. The cloths I find are a bit too small so I use much larger micro cloths. A pack of 10 can be found quite cheaply on here. My view is that the spray is used to clean dirt off the LP and not add anything so a quick wipe around and wait for the surface to dry is not enough for me. My initial wipe is really quite thorough, then I use a second dry cloth to buff the surface to a good shine with no residue. Results I'm getting with some very old vinyl are actually quite astonishing.

Manfrotto MMC3-01 Compact Monopod - Black
Manfrotto MMC3-01 Compact Monopod - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Match carefully for satisfaction, 30 May 2013
This is a very lightweight pod but is well made. I got this specifically for use with the DP1M and DP3M Sigma Merrill cameras. It is very well suited to these cameras and helps offer a stable platform in daylight for shots where I need a narrow aperture. The pod will not fit 'normal' heads as the screwthread is the narrow variety. I got the joby ballhead which fits perfectly so a simple cheap system that does exactly what I wanted.

At a stretch it probably is useful with some of the lighter plastic body SLRs out there but don't expect it to perform with the Can/Nik flagship breezeblocks

PURE ONE Mi, Palm-sized Portable DAB/FM Radio - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars What price mediocrity, 4 Mar. 2012
Well it is an unjustified price. If you want a radio that is plugged in all the time you wouldn't really buy this but then Pure give you one option to make it portable which is the expensive bespoke battery. This pushes the total price to an unreasonable level for such a poor sounding radio. I only needed this for speech type radio such as R4 and R4Extra.

Obviously I'm not expecting to be amazed by sound quality but how about at least some clarity eh Pure? I have heard the Pure Evoke and One Elite and was impressed with the clear sound. This however is different. The unit is mostly fresh air inside so resonances make it sound boxy, added to this is a prominence in upper mid-range that adds a harsh irritability to voices. Basically it sounds like a dirt cheap radio but it wasn't cheap!

My 1985 Grundig 'Boy' sounds much better than this M1, I thought a quick update to Pure digital portability was a step forward but I was wrong.

Snark All Instrument Clip On Tuner
Snark All Instrument Clip On Tuner

5.0 out of 5 stars Hertz without pain, 30 July 2011
This review is from: Snark All Instrument Clip On Tuner
I play classical guitar, tenor ukulele in both 'High G' and 'Low G' tuning plus 6 string guitarlele. The Snark is unfussed about what you present it with, it just gives you exactly what is needed to get your instrument up to speed quickly. Very good piece of kit.