Profile for rangerfoxtrot > Reviews

Content by rangerfoxtrot

"rangerfoxtrot"

How Can I Sleep With Your Voice In My Head [Enhanced] [BOX SET] [LIMITED EDITION]
Offered by thebookcommunity

5.0 out of 5 stars The boys done good!, 2 April 2003
I can't accurately convey the excitement caused by this album in the world of a-ha fans. To say it is fever pitch is an understatement. It is the album that fans have been waiting 18 years (yes 18!) for. This strength of feeling is borne out of sheer frustration that these guys have been continuously shunned by UK audiences due to their "boy-band" image created by industry professionals in the 1980s. The fact is, this band is so much more than a boy-band. They can all write songs and play their own instruments for a start!
This album is the final proof that a-ha can rock with the likes of U2, and that their live performances give credit to their undoubted talents. My only quibble is that not enough of the crowd atmosphere, that is part of the live a-ha experience, has been captured in the production. However, all the hits are here, and more! There are some amazing interpretations of older songs - a reggae "Living Daylights", and gorgeous performances by the usually non-vocalist Paul on "Sycamore Leaves" and Magne on "Dragonfly". Some of the real oldies are here too: the title of this album is a line from sublime "The Swing of Things", which is given an up-to-date interpretation in the live arena.
The recent album "Lifelines" is their most mature, accomplished work. But the bonus of this album is the comparison of older work with the new. Each song runs smoothly into another, without revealing any age-gap. Indeed, I would guess that a fully-supported (by their UK record company) release of "I've been losing you" would fare as well now as it did at the height of their fame. Such is the strength of their back catalogue.
The overall feel of the album is that of great satisfaction, the realisation of the band that they are once more enjoying live performing, and indeed, they have been quoted as saying as much. You can tell. This digipak version is outstanding: exquisite design by band member and artist Magne Furuholmen, and there is a poster too. Go out and buy it, if only to remember YOUR 1980s, you'll be pleasantly surprised - I was!

How Can I Sleep With Your Voice in My Head
How Can I Sleep With Your Voice in My Head

5.0 out of 5 stars Long live a-ha, 25 Mar. 2003
On receiving this long-awaited live album I was wondering how the producers would capture the live atmosphere of an a-ha concert. I need not have worried. The key aspect of a-ha's recent European success has been a string of sublime live performances across the continent (and even here in the UK!), which have been well-received by critics and fans alike. Having experienced the live a-ha concert, I can say that all of the power and emotion of the crowd has been captured on this album, especially on songs like "Hunting High and Low" and "The Living Daylights". This album can only serve the band well in its fight to receive it's long-awaited critical acclaim outside continental Europe. These guys just seem to get better with age. Maturity is demonstrated here in their presentation of older hits in a new format: a much rockier sound, perfect for the live arena. Having followed the guys for getting on for 20 years now, I can safely say that they are currently creating their best material, and long may they continue to do so.