Profile for HJ > Reviews

Content by HJ

HJ (Wales, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Adjustable neoprene Wrist support (Small 14-16.2cm, Left)
Adjustable neoprene Wrist support (Small 14-16.2cm, Left)
Offered by pro-active

5.0 out of 5 stars My wrist only feels comfortable if supported by arm of chair or similar but ..., 22 Sep 2014
My wrist only feels comfortable if supported by arm of chair or similar but that isn't possible at all times, but this support provides that support and better whatever I'm doing. I'm not going to wear it all the time, not practical for me, but good to be able to wear it a substantial part of the time. I had also found using my left arm as little as possible has improved it as well, perhaps just needs adequate healing time. Anyway, I feel I definitely bought the right support.

Naturediet Chicken 390 g (Pack of 18)
Naturediet Chicken 390 g (Pack of 18)

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as brands twice the price, 23 Aug 2014
Of the proper human grade meat dogfoods out there I've tried (or rather my two JRTs have tried) Nature's Menu and Lily's Kitchen. Both excellent brands, NM at approx £1.55 a can and LK approx £2 a can. Clearly Nature Diet is significantly cheaper (albeit for 10g less per pack) so you will likely have concerns as to whether it is as good as other real meat dogfoods, or if your dog will like it. What I can say is that my dogs eat it with more relish than anything I've ever given them before, even though it doesn't smell quite as appetising as the other two brands I've bought before. One of my dogs is very picky yet he has started licking his dish clean, completely clean. This dogfood is highly recommended and frankly a godsend as I had to reduce the weekly budget but wasn't prepared to feed my dogs animal deririvative based food.

True Blood - Season 5 [DVD] [2013]
True Blood - Season 5 [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Anna Paquin

5.0 out of 5 stars Back on form, 1 May 2014
Didn't like season 4 much, and then thought the trailer for this season looked bad, so did actually decide to give up on True Blood, glad I got the chance to see this after all because because I'd put it in my top 3 TB seasons, maybe even 2nd favourite. Very funny season, finding new and glorious ways to shock, and while it does flit around a lot, for me it didn't seem too much, unlike season 4, but perhaps I've just got used to how TB has changed (I see it more of a supernatural x-rated soap now) or maybe TB4 really was bad, I'd have to watch it again to judge but it seemed over the top and a tad amateurish while taking itself too seriously but maybe I'm mistaken or just didn't take to the story. But really loved this season, addictive viewing, so glad TB didn't lose it forever.

Shetland - Series 1-2 [DVD]
Shetland - Series 1-2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Douglas Henshall

5.0 out of 5 stars Best detective drama in a long while, 17 April 2014
This review is from: Shetland - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
I like this nearly as much as The Bridge, in fact I can't quite decide if I like it even a little more than that but The Bridge wins because of the neutral colour tones and it's quite cinematic, plus it can also be rather amusing in parts, but as I say I like Shetland next best. I don't know the crime stats but I suspect murder is less common there than the series allows but that is the only 'flaw' for me and an easy one to live with. What Shetland does have going for it is the beautiful scenery, it's low-key, like nordic noir, and I find it entirely unpredictable whereas with most homegrown detective drama I don't watch because it's too paint by numbers and often easy to work out. I also find the motivations of the crimes to be plausible, and the nature of the crimes themselves, not ridiculously over the top. The characters are all well fleshed out, too and Jimmy Perez is a very likeable DI, what comes across is a genuine concern for people (and animals, more specifically the raven in first story of second series) but no pushover, someone who is proficiently astute, and pleasingly soft-spoken. I was surprised to like this second series as much as I do because I found the first story of series one to be only average and I did find that case a little far-fetched, but on the back of series two I can't wait for more. A bonus to have strong guest roles, too.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2014 10:28 AM BST

The Box [DVD]
The Box [DVD]
Dvd ~ Cameron Diaz
Offered by DVDBayFBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, 11 April 2014
This review is from: The Box [DVD] (DVD)
Gave it a go despite knowing beforehand it received bad reviews. I'm glad I did because for me one of those films that goes by quickly and keeps your interest, hence I don't understand why this film has more 1 stars than anything else, but then I don't like Donnie Darko and was in the minority there too it seemed. Still there are plenty of people here who did like this film, a marmite film really. I would say you're more likely to like it if you were born in the 70s and/or have seen and like the 70s 'horror' films, which this film is a pastiche of. I say 'horror' because it doesn't really qualify as horror for a modern audience but in the 70s films like this were common. I love the slightly bizarre, surreal, creepy style, and the acting emulates the style of acting in those films as well. Not easy to do this successfully, The Box pulls it off, stylishly. Directing, pacing, acting, dialogue all faultless. One thing I wondered about though is why they only show women pushing the button, I assume an allusion to Eve.

Dracula - Season 1 [DVD] [2013]
Dracula - Season 1 [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Jonathan Rhys Meyers

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to Season 2, 28 Mar 2014
For me the first 3-4 episodes were just ok, but as with many series in their first season it began to steadily hook me thereafter, after the finale, 10th episode I was left wanting more and the answers to several cliff-hangers. Some people have not liked the fact it's not exactly historically accurate, but - aside from the fact vampires are pure fantasy anyway - the anachronisms are entirely deliberate with the intention of giving Dracula a stylised look and feel, which personally I love, it gives it quite a steampunk touch. I think they've been brave to do something different with Bram Stoker's characters, and to my mind they've pulled it off. It looks great, bold and sumptous, the storylines are compelling, and it is well acted. JRM's Dracula is powerful and unpredictable. I must say I just love Grayson's chugging motorcar that goes barely over walking speed. :D

Curtina Kerena 3-inch Lined Curtains, 66 x 72-inch, Red
Curtina Kerena 3-inch Lined Curtains, 66 x 72-inch, Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 28 Mar 2014
These are the nicest curtains I've ever had, they are like Next curtains only half the price. The fabric has a canvas look, very good quality, and the flowers look like water colours. A nice splash of colour for spring/summer without being too bold or garish.

Seven Psychopaths [DVD]
Seven Psychopaths [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Farrell
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars Maginally better than In Bruges, 22 Mar 2014
This review is from: Seven Psychopaths [DVD] (DVD)
The writer/director should stick to just directing, that side of it is fine, so is the acting, but the script and dialogue are bizarre and contrived, mostly, it is amusing and interesting in parts but such times few and far between. It's not even close to being as clever or funny as Tarantino, and mishandles gore and violence, but a film like this makes you realise how good QT is at what he does.

Cow Embossed Clear Thick Glass Butter Dish
Cow Embossed Clear Thick Glass Butter Dish
Offered by UK HOT BARGAINS

5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless, 10 Feb 2014
I was tempted to get a more pricey patterned dish but one had a review saying the lid wasn't that flush so I decided to go for something simple with lots of positive reviews, which are deserved. This is a robust dish, with a snug fitting lid, and you can fit a 500g pack of butter in it, perfect. I also prefer the simplicity of this dish and am glad I didn't opt for a fancier one, it's understated cute. :)

Sinister [DVD]
Sinister [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ethan Hawke
Offered by MusicnMedia

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars is being generous, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Sinister [DVD] (DVD)
I'd rather give 5/10, would personally prefer a 10 star rating system, but onto the film. Dark subject matter, the home cinema films were the most disturbing aspect of the film, hands down, but nothing worse than might be seen in a serial killer thriller. Can't fault the acting by any means but this film just didn't especially grab me, the first hour was adequately interesting, just about, but with barely anything remotely frightening in it. The remainder of the film did startle me at least twice, the tension was cranked up, but I didn't find the actual supernatural presence scary, he just looks like a singer in certain sort of metal band really, didn't bother me in the least. I think this film is half as good as Insidious, but Insidious isn't as good as The Conjuring, which is the best supernatural horror I've seen since The Grudge.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7