Profile for Emma > Reviews

Kiss Me!: How to Raise Your Children with Love
Kiss Me!: How to Raise Your Children with Love
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and calming read!, 20 Jan 2013
I read this out of sheer interest (I don't have children myself) and found it so calming and soothing to read that I bought a copy for my sister who has children aged 5 and 7. She loved it, has changed her attitude towards parenting and feels a lot calmer and then bought a copy for her friend who has just had a baby!

It's mainly about treating children with respect, the way you would want to be treated yourself, and about parents using their instincts and common sense, rather than a set of artificial rules which hurt both child and parent. Dr Gonzales describes life from the child's point of view and discusses it with kindness, consideration and basic common sense.

You can apply his approach to anyone vulnerable, including the elderly and people with learning difficulties.

Compassionate and basically, very sensible! Highly recommended.

Beginner Tai Chi [DVD]
Beginner Tai Chi [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stephen Luff
Offered by zenchestnuts
Price: 8.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Calming and engergising, 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: Beginner Tai Chi [DVD] (DVD)
I've had this for about a month and have mainly used the 20 minute qi gong section before work in the mornings. I'm sure I feel more focused, calmer and have energy for longer in the day since I've been using it.

I've tried the joint warming section (around 16 minutes) a couple of times which was good and made me realise how stiff my joints actually are! I ached a bit afterwards but did feel looser and more flexible.

I tried the actual tai chi section (20 minutes) once and enjoyed it, although it is very, very simplified.

I'd recommend it, particularly for the qi gong segment.

Beginners Yoga and Beyond: Elements of Yoga: Earth Foundation with Tara Lee
Beginners Yoga and Beyond: Elements of Yoga: Earth Foundation with Tara Lee
Dvd ~ Tara Lee
Offered by New Shoot Pictures Ltd
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for unfit beginners and beyond, 20 Jan 2013
My husband and I have been using this DVD a couple of times a week for around three weeks and are finding it easy enough for stiff, unfit total beginners in their late thirties, yet challenging enough to keep us going for probably months.

It is in 3 20-minute segments and each successive one is a bit more challenging and builds on the last. You can do them separately or together.

So far we have mastered the first segment and have started doing segment one and segment two... it will be a few weeks before we can manage segment three as well!

We have already noticed improvements in our strength, flexibility, balance and general relaxation, calmness and ability to breathe properly.

The DVD is nicely made, calm, straightforward and sensible. Tara demonstrates the poses and stretches simply and the voice over has clear, unfussy instructions.

I'd recommend it.

Victorinox - Potato Peeler Wood
Victorinox - Potato Peeler Wood
Offered by Bin Babe
Price: 5.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Best peeler I've used, 1 Jan 2013
I was given one of these as a gift 10 years ago and it has given reliable service ever since - it's sharp, strong and accurate and much better than those annoying swivelling peelers. I got one recently for my sister. A nice present!

The Scarlet Pimpernel
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Price: 3.56

5.0 out of 5 stars The original hero with a secret identity!, 1 Jan 2013
Entertaining tale of the Scarlet Pimpernel, told from the point of view of intelligent but bored wife of Sir Percy Blakeney. Like most of London high society, she is in love with the dashing and mysterious Scarlet Pimpernel and fed up of her foolish dandy of a husband. Will she ever meet the Scarlet Pimpernel?

A great story of perhaps the original masked superhero!

BUTTON IT- NEW FOR 2014 - Cute As A Button Pink Stripe Starter Kit with Multi-Coloured Polka Dot Lining
Offered by Carters of London
Price: 16.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty!, 7 Jan 2012
Bought this as a Christmas present for my sister. She is very pleased with it and has used it already to repair some trousers.

Yoga For Absolute Beginners - Hatha Yoga - Fit For Life Series [DVD]
Yoga For Absolute Beginners - Hatha Yoga - Fit For Life Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Susan Fulton
Price: 14.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Injured my neck following this DVD, 28 Mar 2011
I started off with a couple of Maya Feinnes' DVDs which were good, but far too difficult for me since I am so out of practice and stiff. This one easier gentle, but I injured my neck whilst following some of the twisting postures and was in pain for several weeks. It's not that good... I've now bought Tara Lee Foundations - Earth DVD - much better; have been using it for about 2 weeks and feel more flexible, stronger and more toned already.

For All the Tea in China: Espionage, Empire and the Secret Formula for the World's Favourite Drink
by Sarah Rose

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and entertaining, 9 Jun 2009
Well written book which is both a gripping adventure story and a useful (if a bit shallow) global overview of how tea and other crops shaped the British Empire and the world. I'd often wondered how and when we (the British) started drinking tea so enthusiastically, and this helped explain and entertain.

Three Men in a Boat, to Say Nothing of the Dog! (Penguin Popular Classics)
Three Men in a Boat, to Say Nothing of the Dog! (Penguin Popular Classics)
by Jerome K. Jerome

5.0 out of 5 stars Feelgood factor 20!, 9 Mar 2008
Taffybird and Stanton - I totally agree with your reviews. One of the funniest books ever written. I have read it countless times and the humour is still relevant today. Classic.