Profile for Rupert S. Fairfax > Reviews

Content by Rupert S. Fairfax

Rupert S. Fairfax (East Anglia, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Hard Choices
Hard Choices
by Hillary Rodham Clinton

5.0 out of 5 stars AN EXCELLENT READ WITH FASCINATING DETAIL, 10 Aug 2014
This review is from: Hard Choices (Hardcover)
This book is an excellent read with truly fascinating detail, some of which is slightly nail biting, particularly the part of the book concerned with the assassination of Bin Ladin, which as Secretary of State, Hilary Clinton, along with President Obama had sanctioned.

Hilary Clinton's time as Secretary of State was a turbulent time in the world and this powerful woman steered herself easily through it all, which stands her in good stead to run in the forth coming 2016 Presidential elections in America and hopefully, win and be elected President.

The book is clear, concise and well written, it runs at a gripping pace and in parts, you could be reading a film script for a political thriller.

Overall, it is an excellent American and worldwide PR job and shows Hilary Clinton in the best possible light as the most capable person to be the 45th President of the United States.

12 Weck Jar Stainless Steel Clips / Clamps - suitable for 6 jars
12 Weck Jar Stainless Steel Clips / Clamps - suitable for 6 jars

5.0 out of 5 stars A REQUIRED ITEM, 30 July 2013
These are the clips that you need to fit the glass lids onto the Werk jars. You are offered the choice when ordering the jars to order the package of clips and rubber rings.
They work well and are a must if you intend to use the lids.
Everything about Werk products seems to be exemplary, which has to be down to the German design and quality manufacturing.

Gardener Cook
Gardener Cook
by Christopher Lloyd

2.0 out of 5 stars A DISAPPOINTING READ, 30 July 2013
This review is from: Gardener Cook (Hardcover)
I was filled with anticipation when ordering this book as I thought that it would be filled with really useful, unusual and original recipes but when the book arrived, flicking through I immediately saw that there was little that was original and quite a lot of recipes seemed to have been directly lifted from Sofie or Jane Grigson books.
I imagined that I would find truly original recipes, the kind that you hear about being served in the great houses of England, alas, not so, I think Christopher Lloyd would empty a can of minced beef and onion and combine it with tinned macaroni cheese, sprinkle some cheddar on the top, put under the grill and present that to his guests!
I think he probably found it difficult to leave the nursery.
This isn't a very inspiring book least of all to cooks, so I would recommend passing on this.

Right Here
Right Here
Offered by CD-Blitzversand

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT SONG, 30 July 2013
This review is from: Right Here (Audio CD)
A really memorable nostalgic song for me bringing back a very happy period, the CD has great mixes that I had never heard before and I recommend getting this to download the mixes.
As is often the case, some of the mixes that are on CD's are never available on downloads!

Draper 14283 320 mm 360-Degree Blade Garden Shears
Draper 14283 320 mm 360-Degree Blade Garden Shears
Offered by Hot Plant Company

3.0 out of 5 stars A BIT DISAPPOINTED, 30 July 2013
These were a replacement purchased because the previous pair that I inherited off the old Dad had finally given up after several years of punishing service.
After only a few weeks I can see that these will probably not last the course as they are already becoming 'loose' and not cutting as they first did. They look very smart with a super stylish tweaked design but I fear it is all style and they seem to be made of more plastic than the previous model. You are unable to adjust the cut of the blades and I fear that the plastic will probably snap at some point.
For trimming neatly only the finest, neatest grass edging ( golf course putting green ) they will be good but for an uneven edge and the odd couch grass they struggle! It's a great pity because if they were manufactured using better quality materials they would last.

SET OF SIX 580ml Weck Jars. German Made Classic Design. Model 742.
SET OF SIX 580ml Weck Jars. German Made Classic Design. Model 742.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE PERFECT GLASS FOOD CONTAINERS, 30 July 2013
Bless clever Amazon for making them available here!
What is really good is that they look smart enough ( such is the quality of design and glass manufacture ) to be taken to table with a dessert or a starter in them. The lids fit well and it is sensible to get the lids when ordering ( You are given the option to get lids, rubber seals and clips in a package )
I imagine they would make perfect, original gifts filled with homemade pate, jams, chutneys etc. I serve the smaller size to my guests with pate as a starter and they seem to love having their own little container with lid. On every occasion, my guests want to know where I got them.
This company makes a very useful range of high quality, practical storage containers that are good enough for table use.
I can highly recommended these products.

SET OF SIX 370ml Weck Jars. German Made Classic Design. Model 741
SET OF SIX 370ml Weck Jars. German Made Classic Design. Model 741

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT TO USE FOR ANYTHING, 30 July 2013
These are those marvellous jars that you often see on cooking programmes used by trendy super chefs. I had only ever seen them on the Williams Sonoma American website and didn't think you could get them here in the UK.
Bless clever Amazon for making them available here!
I can highly recommended these products.

Ginger Pig Farmhouse Cookbook
Ginger Pig Farmhouse Cookbook
by Fran Warde

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT BEFORE I GOT IT!, 21 Jun 2013
I loved this from the moment I saw it was due for release, I just knew it was going to be good as I already had their first book and I wasn't disappointed, it is a really excellent recipe book that is also packed with instructive technique.
I regularly buy form their shop just off Marylebone High Street and always wanted to be able to make as like at home. Now I can follow exactly and get the same results.
I have to sat that the Ginger Pig make the best Steak Pies that I have ever tasted, the same goes for their magical 'Scotch eggs'
After reading this, please go and get yourself a copy, you will not be disappointed, that I guarantee.

Week in Week Out: 52 Seasonal Stories
Week in Week Out: 52 Seasonal Stories
by Simon Hopkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars SUCH A REALLY USEFUL, 21 Jun 2013
For once this is a really useful recipe book for almost every kitchen, the recipes are what people want to eat rather than what the chef wants you to eat!
The recipes are easy to follow and cover a wide range that are for the most part quick to get on the table. As ever, Simon Hopkinson writes in a style that is so easily absorbed and even the novice will not be intimidated by this book. It has been out for a long time in paperback but I always prefer my recipe books to be in hardback format and this is still available to buy with relative ease on line.
All the Simon Hopkinson books are super, well written, given decent colour photography and having interesting recipes which are very appealing. As the former head chef at Bibendum in London, he has to rank as one of the top chefs currently writing and presenting on television. I give this book 5 stars rating for excellence and recommend that you get a copy.

Christopher Lloyd: His Life at Great Dixter
Christopher Lloyd: His Life at Great Dixter
by Stephen Anderton

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT AS GOOD AS I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE, 5 May 2013
I waited enthusiastically for this book to arrive but my disappointment increased as I progressed through the chapters and really wasn't as good a read as I had anticipated, a lot of what should have been in the book was not there for whatever reason and so you finish the book not really satisfied. I thought I would have got to know and understand the real Christopher but the offerings are not complete and lurk in the shadows, an example is of the entertaining side, the book goes into detail about the kitchen and the lavish entertaining, who was invited, the floral displays but nothing about what they ate so for the most part I found it to be unfinished, maybe there could be another book with all the missing detail!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3