Profile for F Arnold > Reviews

Content by F Arnold

F Arnold "sweet fa" (London England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Dane Donohue
Dane Donohue
Offered by samurai_media_JPN4UK
Price: 37.86

5.0 out of 5 stars The magic never fades, 26 Sep 2008
This review is from: Dane Donohue (Audio CD)
What a pity that the likes of Dane Donohue, Terence Boylan, David Roberts and Ned Doheny either stopped making records or their output proves so difficult to find. Dane Donohue was one of the very best West Coast soft rock albums, exquisite songs, fantastic backing - if these guys were so obscure, how come they got so many brilliant musicians to support them in the studio - and Dane's voice that was perfect for this type of music. Not a duff track on the album - I still have the vinyl version. Essential listening. Incidentally look out for Dane Donohue appearing on a couple of tracks of an album called AOR (reproduction West Coast soft rock sound circa 1980 produiced by a Frenchman called Fredric Slama) - well worth checking out

Let It Go
Let It Go
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Consistent, 25 Sep 2008
This review is from: Let It Go (Audio CD)
I am probably more of an alt country/Americana fan - I think most of the best songwriting is coming from that genre right now as radio-friendly country gets blander and blander and more pop-like. But you cannot deny that Tim McGraw consistently delivers good quality songs with excellent value for money album, brilliantly produced. There is very little filler here and although he is sounding a little more morose than usual, even the really downbeat songs like 'Between the River and Me' have catchy hooks. 'Suspicions' was the song that first caught my imagination, great tune, great rhythm, great backing. Nowadays there is not one song that I would skip over. The obligatory duet with his wife Faith Hill continues a long series of beautiful love songs and I think this is possibly Faith's best vocal performance to date, a really sultry sound that tells you she really means what she sings.
Although I might hate to admit it, Tim McGraw is probably the most often played artist on my iPod, a testimony to his ongoing consistency and ability to pick out great songs. Superb

Solo Acoustic Vol 1
Solo Acoustic Vol 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!, 10 Sep 2008
This review is from: Solo Acoustic Vol 1 (Audio CD)
What a pleasure to hear these songs again in an acoustic setting. It is a long time since I went to any kind of live concert but I saw JB several decades ago when he toured with David Lindley and showcased a number of these songs for the first time. And, boy, do they stand the test of time. Fouintain of Sorrow, These Days, Take it Easy, Your Bright Baby Blues and the crowning achievement of his songwriting craft, The Pretender, all come across with a new energy in this acoustic live setting. Brilliant songs, outstanding playing (I knew he was a good pianist and acoustic guitarist, but I never knew he was this good, and his slide guitar work of Bright Baby Blues is amazing), funny interludes with the audience.

And the greatest pleasure for me? - playing it for my 17 year old son (who's into Eminem and The Kooks and so on, and having him turn to me and say "Wow, what great songs!"

I think Jackson Browne is probably my all time favourite songwriter - maybe he'll even produce a third volume of these recordings, better still a DVD of them. Outstanding and a must have addition to your collection

Like Red On A Rose
Like Red On A Rose
Price: 6.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Time for a reassessment, 27 July 2008
This review is from: Like Red On A Rose (Audio CD)
I heard and read so many poor, disappointed reviews of this album that I passed on buying it, although I have got nearly all of Alan Jackson's earlier material. Finally plucked up the courage to buy it, albeit at a reduced price and what a surprise - yes, it is different from his earlier stuff (and God bless him for trying something new!), yes it does maintain a less varied pace than most of his albums (though it is all beautifully produced by Alison Krauss and anyway, that is the point - it is a reflective album), yes he does overdose a bit on Robert Lee Castleman songs just as Alison Krauss has done, BUT, when he picks a good one, this album is outstanding and as good as anything he has done before. Personal favourites are "Wait a minute", one of the underrated Herb Pedersen's best songs, "The Firefly's Song" (yes I know it is by Robert Lee Castleman, but it is great love song and one I would love to have written to my wife) and "Anywhere on Earth you are" and the title track (another RLC song).
This is as romantic a collection songs as you are ever likely to find, just a tad on the downbeat side but perfect for reflection on that up and down, but longstanding, relationship and as well produced a set of songs as you could wish for.
All in all a brilliant collaboration - how does Alison Krauss do it?
Highly recommended

Philips SHN5500/00 Noise Canceling Headphones
Philips SHN5500/00 Noise Canceling Headphones

4.0 out of 5 stars A comfortable way to travel, 15 Nov 2007
These are good value for money. I agree with everything the previous reviewer wrote. The noise cancelling is acceptable (though not a patch on the in-ear ER6i), they are very comfortable to wear (otherwise I would not have fallen to sleep with them on during a long plane journey recently), and the sound is pretty good for the price. I got them in a rush to replace a pair of Bang & Olufsen over-ear phones that had ceased to work in one ear, and for half the B&O price, they are worth it. I found a little slackness in the treble and a slightly muffled bass (which you don't have at all with the ER6i) but overall quite impressive.

Last Good Kiss
Last Good Kiss
Price: 13.81

5.0 out of 5 stars THE best alt-country band around, 2 Nov 2007
This review is from: Last Good Kiss (Audio CD)
If you are a fan of alt-country (or americana,) folk-rock, or any mix of the genres you should own this album, by the best band of the moment and my favourite group since the demise of the Jayhawks. There are similarities (great playing, gorgeous harmonies, stellar songwriting by Eric Brace the lead singer and also second guitarist) but LTH have possibly a more eclectic mix and swing from style to style with ease and changes of pace - check out the superb opener Last Good Kiss which segues into the heavier, slower Flood, then listen to Anywhere but Here. Their abilities are encapsulated in those three songs. But the rest of the album doesn't let up in quality. Go Now and You are longer but held up by the sheer class of the songs.
This is their fifth album - there is a compilation album mixing the best of the first couple which is what started me off, bought entirely on spec, unheard - and I now have all five. They are the most played CDs in my car, or on my iPod.
For anybody with a love of class songwriting, quality musicianship and broad ranging musical tastes, this band is the one to listen to. You will not be disappointed!

A Tale of God's Will: A Requiem For Katrina
A Tale of God's Will: A Requiem For Katrina
Price: 8.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, almost beyond belief, 6 Sep 2007
I love all types of music and have a collection that includes country, Americana, pop, rock, jazz, blues and so on. My tastes veer towards vocal music and occasionally I get moved by tracks which touch a nerve or two. Nothing I have ever listened to prepared me for the sheer magnificence of this record. Instrumentally I listen to a lot of bluegrass and listen in awe to the interplay of the acoustic instruments and the stellar performers but it does not move me like this record did. With a phenomenal band who also contribute their own tracks, it is clear that this music is the most extraordinary love song to New Orleans and an angry outburst at the paucity of the Government's response to the catastrophe there,yet in the end it is strangely optimistic. Individual playing of the highest order (this is the first time I have ever listened to Terence Blanchard and I cannot think of another trumpet player with such feeling in his playing, mesmeric piano from Aaron Parks, deep bass grooves from Derrick Hodge, and so on) plus the most atmospheric orchestration from a 40-piece band underpinning the entire set.
I am gobsmacked by this record and listen spellbound each time I hear it - it's great on the iPod but it is extraordinary through a really decent hi-fi system. An absolutely essential purchase

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6