Profile for F Arnold > Reviews

Content by F Arnold

F Arnold "sweet fa" (London England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Better Times Will Come
Better Times Will Come

5.0 out of 5 stars And indeed they did!!, 21 July 2009
Another outstanding album from Diana Jones, currently THE outstanding singer and writer of folk-tinged acoustic American music. Take a listen to 'If I had a gun' or 'Cracked and Broken' for examples of her immense talent. With a soulful voice and wonderfully evocative backing this is as good as it gets. An absolute must buy!

My Remembrance of You
My Remembrance of You

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!, 21 July 2009
Possibly the best female singer songwriter currently performing, this is an outstanding album of beautifully crafted, heartfelt, soul-stirring quasi bluegrass songs sung by a singer of incredible talent and backed up by musicians entirely in tune with the tone of the album. Think Gillian Welch meets Iris Dement and you will get somewhere close. Although I have never particuarly taken to Welch, Dement has always been the standard by which I have judged other newcomers to this style of music. Diana Jones is right up there. An album you must listen to. The only 'mistake' I made was downloading it when I wished I had the actual CD, but I couldn't wait to get it after reading reviews and hearing the samples. Wonderful!

Beneath the Velvet Sun
Beneath the Velvet Sun

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 16 July 2009
This review is from: Beneath the Velvet Sun (Audio CD)
I'm a relative newcomer to the artistry of Shawn Mullins and this is an album that is already (I've only had it a short while) one of my favourite all time albums. Great songwriting ('Lonesome, I know you so well', 'Up all night') phenomenal playing and singing ('Santa Fe' 'North on 95')and just one of the great albums of the last 10 years. Can't give it higher praise - Shawn Mullins can write and everything he writes speaks to me in ways that virtually nothing else. An absolute must-have CD.

Eva Solo Bread Bin 42 x 22 x 16cm
Eva Solo Bread Bin 42 x 22 x 16cm
Offered by Dekomiro

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 16 July 2009
I can see how a humongous home made loaf might not fit in this beautifully designed bread bin, but we have had one for several years and it has been a joy. Not only great to look at but it has contained more than just bread - tarts, crumpets, waffles, cakes etc and in my humble opinion has kept everything that we put in it fresher for longer than a 'typical' bread bin might have done. Pricey, I agree but it looks superb in our kitchen. Now that I have a job again I shall be looking for other Eva Solo items to decorate the house

The Ballad Of John Henry
The Ballad Of John Henry

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!, 6 Jun. 2009
One of the few artists whose ability and talent is not exhausted in the first couple of albums. An absolute stunner of an album, with typical scorching guitar playing, great new songs by Joe himself, some truly outstanding covers (notably Feelin' Good by Anthony Newley), fabulous session band, and brilliant production by Kevin Shirley. Don't like to pick out individual session men but Anton Fig is the nuts on this CD.

Can't wait for him to come back to the UK. My favourite 'blues' guitarist (dead or alive)and I thought SRV was a god! Essential listening - check out 'Last Kiss', 'Happier Times' and 'Stop', and then listen to all the rest.

Suzy
Suzy
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Expectations not met but miles better than most, 22 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Suzy (Audio CD)
Have to agree with Friendlycard (again). Terence Boylan's debut album was a masterpiece and one of the very best West Coast, AOR pop/rock albums of all time. My vinyl copy was worn out many moons ago and the replacement has been very well played also. Now I have the CD version (always prefered the vinyl 'sound' personally).

This follow-up was a disappointment at the time although it is clear that half the tracks were recorded during the debut album sessions (check out the session players on 'Ice and Snow', 'Did she finally get to you' and Roll your own' for a start). If the albums at the time were limited in the number of tracks it is clear that some were left over, but money (or lack of it) dictated that the 'Suzy' sessions were completed with a more stripped down sound and fewer players. The song quality of these new tracks was also not of the standard on 'Terence Boylan'. Neverthless this is still a CD worth having in your collection. It was a lot better than most other pop/rock being produced at the time and it is streets ahead of virtually anything produced today (call me old fashioned if you like).
Whatever happened to Terence Boylan? - the 'new' songs on the compilation CD released before the re-release of the first two albums were well up to standard but nothing further was heard. What a great shame. I guess we should comfort ourselves that a small body of more or less exquisite material is still available and stands up to anything else around.

call me crazy
call me crazy
Offered by CalvinAndHobbesInEurope

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 31 Dec. 2008
This review is from: call me crazy (Audio CD)
Have to agree with the other reviewer. This is an awesome album and one well worth waiting for the time it has taken Lee Ann to get back in the studios. The opening track 'The Last Call' is jaw-droppingly good, with fantastic lyrics and a great interpretation. The second track'Either Way' has a brilliant lyric about a disastrous marriage... and it continues from there great songs, superb soulful singing (but not in an over-the-top way, sympathetic backing and excellent production from Tony Brown.
A must for your collection, country or otherwise.

New Masters
New Masters

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, 22 Oct. 2008
This review is from: New Masters (Audio CD)
Here is a guy who has reinvented himself more times than Kylie and is still producing outstanding music after 50 years in the business. I have been a fan since the early days of Dion and the Belmonts and one or two of the re-recorded songs on this album date from that era. With modern recording techniques and Dion's voice still in great shape (how does he manage that after all the years of abuse)these songs still sound new and vibrant. As do the songs from 'The Wanderer' era with dashes of rap and some sampling from other people's songs to bring them up to date. I have been trying to collect Dion's back catalogue over the years on CD - not an easy task when he recorded so much (people tend to forget the folk albums and then the gospel period)- but I have now accumulated a fair number. This album is a worthy addition to the list and in many respects is a master class in phrasing, always one of Dion's strong points. He manages with ease to put a new emphasis on some of the early songs - a must have addition to anyone's collection and essential listening for Dion fans.

Dane Donohue
Dane Donohue
Offered by samurai media JPN401

5.0 out of 5 stars The magic never fades, 26 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Dane Donohue (Audio CD)
What a pity that the likes of Dane Donohue, Terence Boylan, David Roberts and Ned Doheny either stopped making records or their output proves so difficult to find. Dane Donohue was one of the very best West Coast soft rock albums, exquisite songs, fantastic backing - if these guys were so obscure, how come they got so many brilliant musicians to support them in the studio - and Dane's voice that was perfect for this type of music. Not a duff track on the album - I still have the vinyl version. Essential listening. Incidentally look out for Dane Donohue appearing on a couple of tracks of an album called AOR (reproduction West Coast soft rock sound circa 1980 produiced by a Frenchman called Fredric Slama) - well worth checking out

Let It Go
Let It Go
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Consistent, 25 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Let It Go (Audio CD)
I am probably more of an alt country/Americana fan - I think most of the best songwriting is coming from that genre right now as radio-friendly country gets blander and blander and more pop-like. But you cannot deny that Tim McGraw consistently delivers good quality songs with excellent value for money album, brilliantly produced. There is very little filler here and although he is sounding a little more morose than usual, even the really downbeat songs like 'Between the River and Me' have catchy hooks. 'Suspicions' was the song that first caught my imagination, great tune, great rhythm, great backing. Nowadays there is not one song that I would skip over. The obligatory duet with his wife Faith Hill continues a long series of beautiful love songs and I think this is possibly Faith's best vocal performance to date, a really sultry sound that tells you she really means what she sings.
Although I might hate to admit it, Tim McGraw is probably the most often played artist on my iPod, a testimony to his ongoing consistency and ability to pick out great songs. Superb

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7