Profile for Oliver Sims > Reviews

Content by Oliver Sims

Oliver Sims (Hampshire, UK)

Aircraft of the Third Reich: Arado to Focke-Wulf v. 1
Aircraft of the Third Reich: Arado to Focke-Wulf v. 1
by William Green
Price: 53.62

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing, 22 Sep 2010
This is an excellent book as far as the coverage, text and photos go. However, I was disappointed by the poor quality of a number of the colour plates. The greens appeared sometimes so dark as to be black or very dark blue, and some other colours looked odd. Many of the colour plates, however, were fine. Of course, I may be wrong - my colour sense may have deteriorated since the time when I considered myself not wholly ignorant of WW2 Luftwaffe colour schemes.

The Hockey Stick Illusion;Climategate and the Corruption of Science (Independent Minds)
by A W Montford
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars A fair and compelling read, 22 Mar 2010
This is a fair and compelling book. Fair because the things presented as facts are all eminently checkable (and the ones I've checked myself all do check out). Compelling because the story of the scientific egos and less than impressive competence involved in the creation of the IPCC's iconic "hockey stick" graph is told not only with careful attention to detail but also in a way that makes the technicalities comprehensible to the average reader. (And it is all about the technicalities, not the hype). Now consider that our governments are taxing us literally trillions to try to "fight" something that this book shows to be based on poor science. Don't take my word for it. Read the book!

The Plan: Twelve months to renew Britain
The Plan: Twelve months to renew Britain
by Douglas Carswell
Price: 9.20

5.0 out of 5 stars If you care about Britain's future, read this book!, 6 Nov 2008
It is clear that the political system is broken. Have you tuned in to the Parliament Channel and watched debates in Parliament recently? Mostly it's seven or eight MPs in an otherwise empty chamber, each reading out their speeches, with no attention paid to what anyone else says. Then a vote's called, and somehow about 300 people vote - without having heard any of the arguments. I guess they're all out in the "lobbies" (whatever they are) counting up the value of their gold-plated pensions and fur-lines "allowances". And do you know that some 70%-80% of our laws and regulations are NOT passed by Parliament? So why do we pay these people? They have given away most of their power - and worse, our sovereignty - to a multitude of hugely expensive quangoes (including the big quango in the sky called the EU). And we have no say.

And there's a lot more that's wrong with things in Britain today.

This book, in simple language, analyzes what's wrong with the state of our nation. It then proposes solutions, all of which sound like simple sanity to me. If the "Party of the Plan" were to stand at the next election, I'd vote for them in a trice.

So, if you care about Britain's future, read this book! Of course, you may not like the solutions offered. But at the very least the thoughts put forward in the book are a breath of fresh air.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2009 11:34 AM BST