Profile for PD > Reviews

Documentary
Documentary
Price: 1.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Good rockstar romance, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: Documentary (Kindle Edition)
I have a bit of an obsession with stories about rock stars at the moment. It started when I read Paige Toon's 'Johnny Be Good' and then later with Samantha Towle's equally good 'The Mighty Storm'. Therefore if you liked either of those books this story will appeal to you.

Dylan is a junior in College studying film making when she gets the opportunity to make a documentary series about the singer Kai White. When they meet there is an instant attraction, but Dylan has to try and keep things professional so that she doesn't lose her job. She is also grieving over the death of her brother seven months earlier and is not sure that she can handle a relationship.

Kai is slightly messed up due to his upbringing and then his subsequent boy band split. He's now a solo artist doing a tour. He has issues with his ex band mate Jeremy, whom he beat up and left unconscious in an alley. This is why his management team have decided that he needs good publicity in the form of this documentary.

Over the course of the story we see Dylan and Kai try to fight their attraction as she accompanies him on the tour. We also learn about why Kai and Jeremy have fallen out with one another. The plot was good and the story flowed well, and I liked the fact that there were lots of secondary characters who made the story more interesting.

The ending was satisfying but was also left open so that the story could be continued. I hope A.J sands does continue the story, because I truly enjoyed reading this book.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for fans of 'A Beautiful Disaster' or 'The Mighty Storm', 18 Jan 2013
Firstly there are many, many grammatical errors in this book. Normally I would deduct a star for this reason alone HOWEVER this story is so good that I am going to still give it five stars. Jay Crownover has written a great story and I found it surprising that she hadn't proof-read it properly but I'll forgive her!

Rule is a tattoo artist who has a Mohawk and is gorgeous. He has lots of issues as his twin brother (who was the apple of his Mother's eye) died in an accident that he feels responsible for.

Shaw was his twin's best friend and most people thought that they were a couple. Shaw is a straight laced medical student who is beautiful and a people pleaser. Shaw and Rule have a strained relationship and Shaw is hiding the fact that she has been in love with Shaw since the age of thirteen. They bicker and are mean to one another. Rule has constant one night stands and Shaw has just broken up with her college boyfriend.

Throw in some family issues, a stalker and some passion and you get a brilliant story.

I won't say anymore but if you like books about gorgeous bad boys, you will love this book.

Time Warped
Time Warped
by Claudia Hammond
Price: 8.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: Time Warped (Paperback)
I found 'Time Warped' to be an interesting and easy read. I read it quite quickly because of the anecdotal way that it is written. I especially enjoyed the stories about other people such as the man who after an operation on his brain could not think of the future. Other interesting parts included the bits about why time drags when you're at work or flies by when you're having fun.

On the blurb it says:
'Time Warped shows us how to manage our time more efficiently, speed up time and slow it down at will, plan for the future with more accuracy and, ultimately, use of the warping of time to our own advantage.'

I'm not sure that this book will actually help me in my day to day life. However, it was interesting to read about time perception and I loved the cover of the book!

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Onyx Black (will only fit Kindle Paperwhite)
Price: 29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sleek and lightweight, 16 Jan 2013
This is an attractive cover. I did have my old kindle in a m-edge fabric cover which cost me just a little less than this leather one. It was good quality but had those annoying elastic parts which held the kindle in place. This cover just holds the kindle in place like an iPhone cover, with space for your charger to be connected.

There is a great light, magnetic catch (that has 'Kindle' on it) which means its super easy to open and close, unlike my old cover which had yet more elastic to pull around the cover! The leather is attractive and matt.

I like the fact that the cover when opened switches my kindle on, saves fiddling to switch it on.

The only thing that I don't like about it, is the plastic edging round the side (not on the spine) which cheapens it slightly but I suppose that it saves it from being broken if dropped!

All in all a good attractive cover.

Black & Decker FSM1600 Steam Mop
Black & Decker FSM1600 Steam Mop
Offered by Kerbys Warehouse
Price: 67.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Very light and easy to use, 19 Dec 2012
I like this steam mop because it is light but I am not going to give it five stars as it is not my first steam mop, so I have got over the initial excitement and awe of steam mops! If you have lots of wooden/tiled floors and don't have a steam cleaner, then you really should invest in one This Black and Decker model is replacing a Morphy Richards one. I actually preferred the Morphy Richards one, because the handle was much more sturdy and I could push it around more forcefully on tough marks ( it was similar to a slim vacuum cleaner).
That said, this does the job and is easy to carry upstairs to clean the bathroom floor. The cleaning pad is nice and thick, my old steam cleaner had one that was ruined after about three uses!

On The Island
On The Island
by Tracey Garvis Graves
Price: 5.59

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring!, 20 Sep 2012
This review is from: On The Island (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I kept seeing this book on shelves everywhere and it kept coming up in my recommendations. I kept putting off buying it as the blurb really did not make the story sound that appealing. A thirty something teacher gets shipwrecked on a desert island with her teenage student...I knew that there was love and sex involved in their relationship and it made me uncomfortable. However I finally succumbed and got the book, thinking that it must be deep and really well written for so many people to have given it five star reviews...think again!

It's like a badly written rehash of Blue Lagoon, a film that I watched quite a few times in the late eighties BUT at least in that film they were of similar ages. Everything they need magically appears, a suitcase with enough stuff to keep them going for years? A life raft to sleep in, shoes they lost in the sea reappear on the beach, the list is just endless.

The romance is cringeworthy and the characters have no real depth. The writing is boring with basic descriptive sentences. Each day is like this: had fruit/fish, built something, flirted, got ill, recovered and went to sleep. Whether it be Anna narrating or C.J it makes no difference.

After they are rescued the book got even worse and I wanted to strangle Anna. I thought CJ must have just been brain dead from a lack of nutrition from his time on the island, why else would he be so besotted by Anna?

The only reason I've given it one star is because I managed to finish it.

Leitz NeXXt WOW 5502 Metal Stapler 30 Sheet Capacity for 24/6 and 26/6 Staples - Metallic Pink
Price: 15.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Attractive and easy to use, 23 Aug 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love this stapler! It is a shiny pink colour, but most importantly the design is smooth and sleek, meaning that using it is a comfortable experience. This is important to me as my daughters (who range in age between five and ten) like to use staplers a lot, sometimes they have to press really hard on some angled corners which can be quite painful for them. This stapler is easy for them to use and due to it's rubber feet it doesn't slip about either. It can comfortably staple up to thirty pages.
The stapler has a ten year guarantee and comes with staples, I would recommend this product to others who are looking for a quality product.

Leitz Bebop Active 180 80mm Lever Arch File - White
Leitz Bebop Active 180 80mm Lever Arch File - White
Price: 14.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 23 Aug 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a keen stationery buyer....yes the sad kind of person that gets excited by pens, files and staplers! I would not normally pay this much for a lever arch file but after seeing the quality of this item, I would definitely be tempted to buy more from this company.

The file has a plastic, textured cover which is firm but also flexible. I prefer a flexible cover as it easier to squish into a bag, with a rigid cover I was always ending up ruining the corners or battling trying to get the file into a bag. This lever arch is excellent quality and has pouches on the inside of the front cover for bits of loose paper. This is perfect as I always throw in bits of paper that then end up tattered or lost!

I especially like the way that you can 'close' the file by pulling the elastic across and winding it round the metal circle. Again this ensures that you don't lose any loose papers and also helps keep everything need and tidy.

A great quality item.

XSories Boom Box Speaker for iPhone/iPad/iPod/MP3/Laptop
XSories Boom Box Speaker for iPhone/iPad/iPod/MP3/Laptop
Offered by Planet Gizmo
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little speaker, 20 Aug 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love this little speaker. I can throw it in my handbag and take it out with me. I am a teacher and quite often use it at work when I want to play some music for the children. It saves so much hassle and I don't have to cart a bulky CD player into the hall, I attach my iPhone and it's as easy as that. At home I connect it to my ipad when listening to music. The sound quality is good and quite loud. When you turn it on a blue light lights up all the way around the cube shaped speaker, and it looks good. The price is quite high but if I compare it to my cheaper Amazon Basics speaker this boom box is of a much better quality and much easier to take out with me. I would recommend this speaker.

Coriolanus [DVD] [2011]
Coriolanus [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Ralph Fiennes
Price: 3.75

2.0 out of 5 stars Tried my best to enjoy but..., 20 Aug 2012
This review is from: Coriolanus [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ralph Fiennes and Gerard Butler are great actors. I would have enjoyed this film more if they had not spoken in Shakespeare's English, actually if I had of realised I would have not bothered to watch it. Obviously if you can cope with trying to understand what they are saying you might actually enjoy the film. I ended up losing interest in the film pretty early on. If you are not a big Shakespeare fan, you will not enjoy this film.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2012 8:54 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20