Profile for PD > Reviews

Busy B 2015 Busy Life Diary with Storage Pockets, Birds Design
Offered by through-the-arched-window

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for organising work and family, 7 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like this diary because it's going to make my life much more organised. I say 'going to' because it runs from Jan 2015. I would have preferred the diary to run from September when my children started school, and if it's a diary aimed at families maybe it should be? Also I'm a teacher so that would have been amazing for me!

It's great that I can now have the same week split into 'work' and 'kids'. However, if one page was a different colour to the other this would have made the diary even better.

I like the fact that it has a pocket every three months so I can store appointment cards, invites, receipts in here if I want to. Again, this works well, as the pockets end up close to school holiday terms.

There is an elasticated pen loop, an elasticated band to close the diary and ribbon to mark your page. There is also a cardboard pocket at the back to put in post it notes or similar.

All in all, a very useful diary for a working parent.

Love, Lies and Lemon Pies (Love Lies & Lemon Pies 1)
Love, Lies and Lemon Pies (Love Lies & Lemon Pies 1)
by Katy Cannon

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book for girls over twelve, 7 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This review has five stars because my twelve year old loved it.

The book is about Lottie and Mac, who for different reasons are sent to the school's Bake Club. It's a romance for teenagers and it is well written. It would appeal to girls who are 12+, especially those who enjoy watching 'The Great British Bake Off' on TV or baking in general. The book contains a variety of 19 recipes which they can actually follow. It would be a good gift as its a mix between a story and cooking book.

I wouldn't recommend it for younger children because it has the b***** word in it once, and there are a few times where they kiss properly, her 'whole body felt hot, flashing with feeling and shivers'. They don't do anything more than kiss though.

These are my twelve year olds comments:

'It's really good because of the recipes in the book, so you can make things like chocolate brownies and the story is really good. I would re-read this book again and I'd definitely read more books by this author.'

Breathe
Breathe
by Sarah Crossan

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but wouldn't read the sequel, 4 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Breathe (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I read this book first and and then my twelve year old daughter read it. Here is our combined review:

I would give it three stars and she would also give it three.

The book is a dystopian story set in a world where oxygen is limited. Premiums who can afford to live in the pod can live a normal life. Everyone else slowly suffocates. The premise is good...

I gave it three stars because of the rapid changing of points of view. The story is told through the eyes of three characters, however the chapters are so short, so you may have Alina's point of view for about seven pages, then a couple of pages from Bea's perspective and then Quinn. Too many to switch from so quickly. The writing seems to be aimed at a younger audience, like so many other dystopian novels are. However, I didn't enjoy it as much as some of the other YA dystopian novels that I've read. I had no real connection with the characters.

My daughter thought it was 'okay'. She wouldn't be interested in reading a sequel.

Gaby's Angel
Gaby's Angel
by Janet Hoggarth

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for pre teens, 4 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Gaby's Angel (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My twelve year old daughter enjoyed reading this book. I had a quick read through of it and I think it's a good book for girls aged 10-12yrs.

The story starts by Gaby losing her friend Emily in an accident. Emily returns as an angel and helps Gaby deal with her sadness and and shows her that life has so much to offer.

It's about best friends, boys, school plays etc..

It has no inappropriate parts and is perfect for pre-teens.

Philips BT9280/33 Series 9000 Laser Guided Beard Trimmer
Philips BT9280/33 Series 9000 Laser Guided Beard Trimmer

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps to shape and trim beard with ease., 3 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this for my husband who has recently begun to grow a beard. He is becoming slightly obsessed with trimming the the moustache, beard and his side burns often changing the 'style'.

He had a normal beard trimmer but he said it gave a patchy effect. He loved using this Laser trimmer. Here are his plus points for it:

- the laser allows you to create a perfect edge.
This works by the laser shining a red line on to your face so that you can see exactly whee to position the trimmer. I have to say his beard line is very neat and symmetrical looking since he got this trimmer.

- the trimmer lets you change the length to 0.4mm.
Again his beard looks evenly trimmed.

-it's easy to use and charge.

Only negative is that it doesn't come in a pouch or bag which is a shame. For the price, you would expect something to
carry or store it in.

I would recommend this if like my husband you are very vain (!) and enjoy changing the style of your beard/goatee regularly.

VIBE Slick Grip for iPad - Red
VIBE Slick Grip for iPad - Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked it and did increase volume but not by 4x!, 3 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was slightly skeptical about this product...4x sound booster? Hmmm...well, I was pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't say my ipad is now four times louder but I used it in a room of thirty people and the music could still be heard.

My children really like the case because they can hold the ipad more easily compared to the old leather case. It stands up as well, but can easily tip over. Would be better with a flap that would stand like many other covers have.

I like the product but am deducting because it easily knocked over in it's standing position and although it does make audio louder, it's definitely not four times louder.

My First Crayola Doodle Magic Mat
My First Crayola Doodle Magic Mat

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay...but prefer the Aquadoodle, 17 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was hoping that this mat would be a superior version of the Tomy Aquadoodle that my kids had a few years ago. I've bought Crayola Colour Wonder pens and books in the past (pens that only work on colour wonder paper) and this product appeared to be a mix of the two: A re-usable surface with pens that don't mark other surfaces.

I am a teacher in early years and was hoping that this could be put in the creative area for children to use for drawing or writing.

Firsty, the set of pens is not bright enough when you draw on the mat. Secondly, the mat needs to be wiped clean with the eraser. With the Aquadoodle you just let it dry and the pens were easily filled with water. Once these pens run out I will have to purchase refills which I'll probably never get round to doing!

I like the fact that this mat can be hung up and that you can use colours, but it's a bit of a hassle wiping it...we have a whiteboard with pens and the children use that well.

This product is for you if your biggest concern is children making marks on your walls, although in my opinion the Aquadoodle is easier to use with no refills required.

Amazon Basics USB 3.0 A to B Cable (6 ft / 1.8m)
Amazon Basics USB 3.0 A to B Cable (6 ft / 1.8m)

5.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend to others, 3 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I needed this as my current USB cable is not long enough to connect my MacBook to my printer adequately. I have to position the MacBook sideways on the desk when printing. This 1.8 M cable is of a good length, meaning now, I don't have to move anything. It's of a good quality and comes neatly packaged in a small cardboard box which was posted through my letter box as I wasn't in for the delivery.

My Little Pony Equestria Girls Applejack  Doll
My Little Pony Equestria Girls Applejack Doll

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed perspectives from mother and daughter, 31 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found it tricky trying to rate this doll, as me and my daughter had two quite different perspectives on this doll.

My six year old would probably have rated it five stars, as she loves it. This is more to to do with the fact that she has been watching the advert on TV and knows the song by heart (good marketing!) She used to play with my little ponies when she was aged about four and these dolls (six to collect) appear to be for the slightly older children. The packaging says 5+.

My rating would have been two stars. Firstly the doll is highly unattractive. She has orangey fake tan looking skin that clashes badly with her hair. Applejack has an apple over eye to match with her my little pony counterpart and a pair of horse years sticking out of her head like some sort of demon! She would give some children nightmares, she is similar to the Monster High dolls in that respect. Do not buy for a child that is easily creeped out!

However the biggest factor for me not liking this doll is the fact that my daughter had broken off the leg within ten minutes of opening. I fixed it back on again but she's pulled it off again twice, as I think the first pulling weakened the joint part. She was trying to make Applejack do the splits, like she does with her Barbie. The doll legs are made of cheap plastic not the rubbery stuff that a Barbie is made of.

Therefore I've put our ratings together and given it 3 or 3.5 stars.

I'm sure most girls will love this doll and the other five that you can buy to complete the collection. The dolls clothes can be swapped with one another. The songs to go with dolls are catchy and I'm sure the fact that they will be on TV constantly, will ensure they'll be popular.

Rapesco Stapler, Heavy Duty Stapler Zero-02
Rapesco Stapler, Heavy Duty Stapler Zero-02

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and easy to use, 31 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This stapler is very stylish, and comfortable to use. It has a rubber base that ensures that it doesn't slip while you're using it. There are two things that I really like about this stapler. The first is the fact that it doesn't require excessive force when stapling multiple pages together, and the second is that on the base of the stapler is a small window which allows you to label it with your name. This is great for me, as a teacher it means I don't have to now stick a huge sticker on the top to ensure that it doesn't end up in another classroom.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20