Profile for Lynn > Reviews

Eleanor & Park
Eleanor & Park
by Rainbow Rowell

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and alive from cover to cover, 30 May 2012
This review is from: Eleanor & Park (Paperback)
Eleanor & Park reminded me of the bright spots in those awkward high school years: the difference one true friend who understands you can make and how liberating it felt to fall in love with books, music, poetry, etc. The main characters are teens who stumble into a relationship that is tender and intense while their complicated family lives advance a plot with a truly surprise ending. (I challenge anyone to say they saw it coming.) Rainbow Rowell creates such lovely characters, even the minor ones are funny and memorable. I was immediately invested in Eleanor and Park's lives, and once that happened, I couldn't devour the book fast enough. Now, I can't wait to share it with all of the readers in my life.

I read Rowell's book Attachments and liked it, but I can honestly say I truly, truly loved Eleanor & Park even more. No question. The tone to Eleanor & Park is more serious and the love between the characters feels so alive. I felt like I knew these kids... that I was one of them however many years ago. For that reason, I felt more hooked and cared more about what was going to happen. I finished this in two sittings because I couldn't stand to put it down. Don't think that it's all sadness and angst. Rowell can't help but write smart and snappy dialogue, and her sense of humor is what makes these characters so great. Eleanor, especially, has wit and a tender sarcasm that give her a fun edge. If you read Attachments and liked it, you have to give Eleanor & Park a try.