Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Moneyball [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Brad Pitt
Offered by Side Two

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring baseball film, 15 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Moneyball [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Bit controversial, based on the other reviews for this film, but I found this film boring. The first half was good and stuck to what I understood the plot line to be, i.e. the General Manager (Brad Pitt) of a struggling baseball team, the Oakland As, reinvents the approach to the game by recruiting a maths wiz who applied a scientific approach to the game, this I understood. You didn't need to be a baseball fan or a maths wiz to grasp this.

The second half lost the plot; it seemed to me, that the scientific approach didn't actually work as the Pitt character dumped some of the players recruited using the scientific approach. Also we got dragged into interminable scenes of baseball games, how many were won or lost, Pitt walking into the dressing room and giving pep talks. It was tedious as far as I was concerned.

If you like baseball and sport movies then you might find this interesting, but otherwise..No.

The Eleventh Day
The Eleventh Day
by Anthony Summers

5.0 out of 5 stars Good summary of 9/11, 12 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Eleventh Day (Paperback)
Would I call this the definitive book on 9/11, no I think Lawrence Wright's book The Looming Tower fulfils that description.

Having said that, this is still a great book, outlining the actual events of the day and going back over the previous years delving into the origins and preparation for the catastrophe.

The authors address head on the various conspiracy theories around 9/11 and demolishes them in swift order, replacing them with the real 9/11 conspiracy that the Saudi establishment was complicit in the attacks. They also reveal a shocking level of incompetence, mismanagement and ass covering in the various US agencies that should have been more aware of the gathering storm, including senior politicians including the President at the time.

There are also hints that the Bush administration redirected focus from Al Qaida to Iraq fairly quickly after 9/11.

Overall this was a good book and well worth reading.

Watchers
Watchers
by Dean Koontz

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow burner, 26 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Watchers (Paperback)
Is Koontz as good a writer as Stephen King, as some reviewers suggest? Based on this book, I don't think so.

The story itself was interesting enough and the characters believable to some extent and I enjoyed reading it. But, I found Koontz's prose quite old fashioned, a bit clunky and some passages bordered on the purple.

There has also been mention made of how Koontz builds suspense, well, I didn't really find this until the last 50 or so pages as the story reached the final denouement. The ending was exciting enough to make up for the lack of it in the preceding pages.

Will I read some of Koontz's other books? Probably. Can I recommend this book as a good sci-fi thriller, on balance, yes I think so, but there are better out there.

11.22.63
11.22.63
by Stephen King

5.0 out of 5 stars Staggeringly good, 21 Sept. 2012
This review is from: 11.22.63 (Paperback)
Is this as good as The Stand, no I don't think so, but it's damn well near enough.

The cliché "unputdownable" is over used, but in this case I think it is deserved. When I initially heard what the book was about I was sceptical, the title sounded clumsy (it is!!) and the premise was a bit baby boomerish. Still I took the plunge and started reading, and was hooked from the first page. King has this knack of drawing you into his world, his speciality is Americana, and Americana's heyday was the 1950s and 60s, where most of this book is set.

His universal themes seem to be alcoholism and its effects, pervasive evil and human weakness with the primary focus of his novels on ordinary people persevering against the seeming inevitability of these themes. His books also talk about a structure to the universe (read the Dark Tower books) and that if you mess with this structure then there will be trouble, and of course when you travel in time you run the risk of messing quite a bit.

I won't spoil the story, but this book is a thriller, a horror story, a romance. I recommend it totally. The ending.....hmmm. King doesn't really do endings, his books are more of a journey thing.

The Abolition of Britain: From Winston Churchill to Princess Diana
The Abolition of Britain: From Winston Churchill to Princess Diana
by Peter Hitchens

5.0 out of 5 stars Strangely compelling, 20 Sept. 2012
I'm in two minds about this book. On one hand I don't agree with a lot of Hitchen's traditionalism, but then on the other I can see his point about a lot of what has happened culturally over the last 50-60 years in the UK.

I feel a lot of the cultural changes that have occurred over this period are double edged swords. For example, the `60s ethos of "liberation" and individual self expression has had a lot of positive benefits for most of us especially women, gays, ethnic minorities; it has given us much more variety and choice as individuals. But for some, with less self control or ability to deal with choice, it's been a disaster, drug abuse, family breakdown, crime etc etc.

As this quick review has shown, I'm mixed about this book. I certainly don't want the UK to go back to the 1950s, with its overt class distinctions and prejudices, but on the other hand there are some values that we need to reassert, such as hard work, self control, respect. And admit that we are not all equal in ability or aspirations.

Redaction: Extinction Level Event (Part I)
Redaction: Extinction Level Event (Part I)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, hope there is a sequel.....there is!!!, 13 Sept. 2012
How anyone can complain about this book when it's 77p on Kindle. The added joy is that it is also well written. We enter the story just after a devastating plague wipes out about 40% of the the US population, so society and government are just about still running. The point of view characters are a soldier, a teenager protecting younger kids, a government scientist, and a psychopath. Eventually all these threads pull together as it dawns on us the situation is getting worse and worse as a more deadly virus is spreading. The author recreates a society falling apart and a sense of growing dread. As a reader I felt this could all actually happen. Lets hope there is a sequel planned (I'm sure there is....)

A New World: Chaos: 1
A New World: Chaos: 1
by John O'Brien

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Kindle zombie novels!!!,, 13 Sept. 2012
This review is from: A New World: Chaos: 1 (Paperback)
For years I've been looking for great Zombie books to read, World War Z (...it's gonna be a film!!!) was the game changer, then the MorningStar Strain.

Now!! we've got Kindle and a whole seam of Z books are being published. Now lets be honest, some are just plain bad. But some are great. This book is one of them. It starts out slow but builds to a gut wrenching crescendo. You can see from all these books where the author gets their inspiration for the zombies from. In this case it's "I am Legend", technically not really zoms more like rabid. The author switches from first person to third during the story, this could annoy some language purists but not me, hey what do you expect Shakespeare!

Basically this novel is about an ex Special Forces pilot, who, during a zombie/rabies outbreak, gathers his teenage kids together, heads of to a deserted military airport, comandeers a transport plane and heads of to Kuwait to rescue his girlfriend. Sounds implausable!, but the author manages to make it believable enough (to me anyway), so much so that I will read the rest of the books.

No Easy Hope (Surviving the Dead Book 1)
No Easy Hope (Surviving the Dead Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Zombie bromance!!!,, 13 Sept. 2012
OK, flippant title sorry!! The story starts, quite definately as a bromance, but develops into a great zombie novel. The bulk of the book is more a back story to the initial bromantic prologue, with our hero's travel through a zombie infested land, and the various escapades he encounters, which comprises of him mainly helping a fortified community and the relationships he builds there. The prose stars of a bit clunky but as the author develops the story it starts to read much more fluidly. All in all a great book, I'm looking forward to the sequels.

At the end of the day all these novels are written by amateurs honing their craft, they have a story to tell. In the past most of these texts would never see the light of day, but Kindle has changed all this. Surely it's better for guys like James Cook to publish online so people like me can read and enjoy the stories rather than get endless rejections from publishing companies......

Soldier On: Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse
Soldier On: Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse

5.0 out of 5 stars Great follow up, keep going Shawn.., 13 Sept. 2012
OK, based on my review of his first book, this is a great sequel, and it introduces a lot more sub plots and parallell stories, including an ominous conspiracy plot. Can't wait to read the third book.

Trudge: Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse
Trudge: Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great zombie book, 13 Sept. 2012
Once again Kindle has a uncovered another great zombie book. As I've said before these kind of books ain't gonna win the pulitzer, but that is not what they were written for. Most of these are written by and for zombie apocaplyse fans so there is a level of expectation about them. The prose may be a bit clunky and the description of guns gets a bit enthusiastic at times but, hey we want to be entertained. This book is pretty much the same as other zombie books, there is a set formula they all have to adhere to.

1) Main hero is special forces
2) hero's family is stuck far away
3) hero on a quest to find family
4) hero encounters many challenges on the quest
5) hero eventually meets family.....but its not over yet!!

But formulas are part of any kind of entertainment, movies, TV, literature see this book Seven Basic Plots: Why We Tell Stories

Anyhoo, this book, well its great, its a quest through z hell, and there is a series of sequels, happy days!!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9