Profile for A. Rehlinger > Reviews

Content by A. Rehlinger

A. Rehlinger (London, UK)

I Know How To Cook
I Know How To Cook
by Clotilde Dusoulier

1.0 out of 5 stars Such anticipation...to be sadly disappointed, 20 May 2012
This review is from: I Know How To Cook (Hardcover)
I bought this when it first came out, so excited about it's arrival. However, tonight I logged on to see if I could sell it here second hand. If you're interested let me know..its a tome so the shipping is the real cost. Having read through the reviews decided to add my 2pence to the equation, I feel the crowd isn't representing a true picture.

I have to agree with others who have given low stars...Perhaps those who are raving about it have been caught up in the flush of Ginette's Choc&Zucc delightful blog and aura, easy to understand, she's a joy. Doubtful they have actually made anything substantial from the book yet. And sure there are simple sure fire concoctions--but then I didn't need the book for those anyway. Its true that the quality and unwieldy nature of this tome of a book make it a not very user friendly publication for its purpose. Most annoying, and as one reviewer also pointed out, are the unacceptable mistakes which are too often to make it a trustworthy regular 'go to' -which was its original intention. I kept thinking it was me...what was I doing wrong...and not just on one or two recipes. So was actually 'relieved' to read that the translation/edition was incorrect. It should really be corrected before more are sold. And I see she now has a French baking book out via Phaidon, too, but as baking really does require fine tuning, that is a definite no go. This was more than disappointing as I was SOOOO looking forward to this coming out in English as my French is not up to scratch, particularly with the finer recipes. Sad, as I love Ginette Mathiot's enthusiasm and appreciate and value her insight and knowledge...but unfortunately the accuracy did not make it through to this edition. Very disappointed.

No doubt I won't be able to sell my copy now, hmpf!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 7, 2013 9:49 AM BST

Contemplative Prayer
Contemplative Prayer
by Thomas Merton

5.0 out of 5 stars prayer, 20 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Contemplative Prayer (Paperback)
Some earlier review said:
..."Merton, being a person with a good grasp for the authority and power of tradition and history, understood that the first task would be to understand what people have done before and how things have worked or not worked, before embarking upon a new subject for oneself. This is that product, and we are the poorer for not having a follow-up to the book."

I'm compelled to write and disagree, and perhaps doubt Thomas Mertaon would have necessarily wrote a follow up book. ...maybe he was quite aware of his next step anyway, leaving his body as he did, as so many a wise and aware person does... I don't know. What I do know is that prayer is personal and unique to each of us...and though it is fundamentally helpful to understand what people have done before us, we have our own journey to embark upon...and so our practice of contemplative prayer is the follow-up....and perhaps that was his purpose, like so much of his work,...a final invitation to join the Will of God, whatever that may be for us.

Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype
Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype
by Clarissa Pinkola Estes
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars The archetypal feminine psyche, guideposts from human history, 10 Jun. 2007
I'm somewhat astounded at some of the short-sighted reviews of this profoundly insightful book. It certainly has no assumptions that anyone is wrong or needs fixing! It does however look at the evolution of feminine psyche through the eyes of the stories of many cultures, and how these stories can reflect passages of our own journey, and how these stories can provide indications on what can happen and how we can trust ourselves in this process of growth and self knowledge even more. Storytelling is an ancient art where truths were(are!) passed down from generation to generation in entertaining but deeply informative ways to the unconscious. (television is the most prevalent, and perhaps, most destructive storytelling device in our modern culture!) Most of our learning is, sadly, quite unconscious. Pinkola Estes illustrates her rich experience and understanding of these stories, their place in human social and personal psychology and anthropology, and how we can begin to gain more understanding of the stories that have guided us, perhaps unwittingly, and what stories we may choose to live by instead. We write the script. Its a surprisingly very easy, joy-filled read that is great to dip in and out of and return to again and again. Its miles better than any media and television stories most of the populace are being unconsciously programmed with now days. There is no right answer of 'how to' but there are ancient marks on the tree to say, you're safe, you are going in the right direction, and how to trust ourselves to strike out and make trails of our own. This is the Wild Woman journey, me thinks. Certainly every woman would benefit from reading it--with an open heart and mind.

be well!

The Myth of Freedom and the Way of Meditation (Shambala Classics)
The Myth of Freedom and the Way of Meditation (Shambala Classics)
by Trungpa Tulku Chogyam Trungpa

5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding in its simple, direct and apparent truths, 15 Dec. 2006
Of benefit to anyone of any tradition on a spiritual path, and great to re-read! Cuts through the spiritual material rubbish that often sells unnecessary accoutrements to the journey. Chogyam's engaging and direct no nonsense communication illucidates how we can all free our lives in the simple 'practice' of true peace. A must read.

Initiation
Initiation
by Elisabeth Haich

5.0 out of 5 stars are you ready to be initiated, 10 May 2006
This review is from: Initiation (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book if you allow yourself, like the author, to be led through the deep process of initiation of your/the Self. Fascinating, engaging and penetrating.

I was told to read this book 15 years ago when it was out of print, if one day I could find it. The next day, I found myself nonchalantly walking into a used book shop I hadnt been in before and there it was! so shocking I had to buy it.

Its a story that unfolds as you unfold so it can be something to dip into again and again, revisiting parts and being reminded of very deep key wisdom that you may have missed in the previous read. Very rich and thoroughly touching. I was and am still grateful to have read it and be re-minded of my own initiation.