Profile for SpiritWitch120 > Reviews

Content by SpiritWitch120

SpiritWitch120 (London)

Shadowhunter's Guide: City of Bones (Mortal Instruments)
Shadowhunter's Guide: City of Bones (Mortal Instruments)
by Mimi O'Connor

3.0 out of 5 stars Actual rating: 2.75 stars, 10 Aug. 2014
It's been quite a few months since I've read City Of Bones, or watched the movie and the cover was pretty so I decided to purchase this (particularly because of it's bargain price.) I started reading this series way way back in 2007 due to a recommendation of a friend, and we practically inhaled it. However, now that I'm older, the plot didn't seem as enticing or as memorable as I thought it had when I was still 12 so this was a nice recap especially seeing as I'm trying to reread the entire series.

I wasn't expecting anything spectacular, and for what it is, this guide of sorts is okay. It doesn't exactly bring anything new to the table but the images are nice, particularly closeups on weapons and some movie scenes. The book is made well, with glossy aesthetically pleasing images and not too much writing/info that it clogs up the book.

I think what I liked the most was that it doesn't actually reveal the end of the film/book. Sure, it reveals a hell of a lot so if you haven't read the books and just happen to pick this up, maybe start with them or the film first to avoid spoilers but at least it didn't reveal all of it, giving just enough (maybe, even a little too much) to entice new readers to the series and new audiences to the film.

All in all, it was okay, so if you happen to be a die-hard fan maybe you should pick this up. It'd be a nice addition to your collection. If not, this book doesn't have much point so I wouldn't purchase it unless it was on sale like when I bought it.

PandoraHearts, Vol. 1
PandoraHearts, Vol. 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Confusing but promising start, 4 Aug. 2014
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

According to other reviewers, this volume is nothing like the rest and doesn't form as a proper introduction to the series and I'm inclined to believe them. Hopefully the art and the story will evolve, it does certainly look promising at the moment but I have been wrong before. So far it is adequate but I will read the next volume. I'm still slightly confused right now. However, it was still an enjoyable read so I look forward to the next volume.

Harry Potter Page to Screen: The Complete Filmmaking Journey
Harry Potter Page to Screen: The Complete Filmmaking Journey
by Bob McCabe
Price: £1,250.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price tag!, 4 Aug. 2014
I bought this collection recently after it was released despite the hefty price tag because I just knew it was something I had to have and it being limited edition and all helped justify the nagging thoughts about whether I should be spending so much. I recently found out that Amazon have actually chopped off half the price which disappoints me slightly because the same thing happened with the Wizards Collection DVD box-set so all that extra money could have gone to more books.

Ah well. I still think it was worth the almost £500 I spent on it. In all fairness I think that my fangirl heart will forever continue to justify my Harry Potter purchases.

It's a beautiful set, well crafted and sure to last for a very long time. Even the packaging was astounding and I'd definitely recommend it to all die hard Potterheads. It's a beautiful addition to my large collection of merchandise and the books are all filled with great bits of knowledge and interesting facts for fans. The images are all wonderfully high definition and provide a great distraction when bored or when feeling nostalgic and wanting to immerse ones self back into the world of Potter. Another great thing about this set are the book covers, they're made to look like props from the film. In addition, the Monster Book of Monster's is just ... I don't think I can put into words how amazing it is. How wonderfully detailed and it's MINE. All mine.

I cannot wait for Fantastic Beasts and hopefully it will be just a great a franchise as Potter is. Perhaps something as beautiful as this will come out of it. I look forward to that greatly. What am I saying!? Of course it will be amazing, Rowling's the bloody screenwriter.

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (Nintendo 3DS)
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (Nintendo 3DS)
Offered by Click For Games UK

5.0 out of 5 stars I only bought a 3DS XL for this game and it was worth it., 6 Jan. 2013
So I have numerous DS's and game boys and I really thought that I didn't need a 3DS because I already had a DSi XL but then I hear about this and being a huge fan of the games I knew I had to get one. So I did and it was worth it, I've only just started the game and it's already made me give it 5 stars. The whole 3D aspect makes it feel completely new but still loveable in the ol' Layton way and I can't wait to spend several hours just playing it. Just a simple review because the stars already express my view of this game.

Harry Potter Film Wizardry
Harry Potter Film Wizardry
by Warner Bros

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Astonishing, 1 Oct. 2011
One of the most beautifully printed books I have ever had the luck to purchase. The size was much bigger than I expected, pages brimmed with details and beautiful additions to keep. All the additions are kept in clear envelopes for protection and some even hidden, which provided extra excitement for me when searching for them. Just beautiful. I will treasure this book all my life as it sits next to my Harry Potter boxset. I was almost in tears when it finally arrived, it truly is a book you need.