Profile for Captain Ham > Reviews

Content by Captain Ham

Captain Ham

Page: 1 | 2
Anker PowerCore+ 20100 USB-C Ultra-Compact Premium External Battery/Portable Charger/Power Bank (6A Output, PowerIQ and VoltageBoost Technology) for Apple MacBook, iPhone, iPad, Samsung & more (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, happy punter, 26 Oct. 2015
This is the only thing I've found for use in my car that will actually charge my mobile phone whilst using the battery-hungry TomTom app...using the in-car charger only slows down the rate of battery consumption but doesn't actually charge it.

It also comes in handy for trips away, especially weekends overseas, as I don't need to worry about bringing any plug chargers and adapters.

The battery is big enough to last for plenty of top-ups, and is a decent, well-built piece of kit. All in all, very happy with the purchase.

CHOE UPGRADED Qi Wireless Car Charger Dock with Universal Orienting Windshield / Dashboard and Air Vent Mount for SONY Xperia Z3V,Moto Droid Turbo,Nexus 5,Nexus 4, Droid Maxx/Mini,LG G3/G4 , Samsung, HTC and Other Qi Wireless Charger Phones
Offered by CHOETECH

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy - does the job well, 14 Oct. 2014
Very happy with this so far. My phone (Nexus 5) charges up well, with good coverage from the induction coils so no concerns over trying to position it carefully or anything like that.

Easy to grip the phone, then unlock afterwards too, so you can pop it right in without faffing around.

Build quality seems decent too. The stem is perhaps a bit beefier than it needs to be, but it seems solid and doesn't impair vision as long as you stick it low enough (mine is stuck to the windscreen, although the air vent adaptor seems decent enough too).

Comes with both a long USB (for windscreen mounting) and short USB (for air vent mounting) which is a nice touch.

ASUS 900 Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router - Black
ASUS 900 Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so awesome, 7 Aug. 2013
Bought this to try and improve wireless coverage in my 3-storey townhouse, and as a replacement for my Sky Fibre Hub, and it works like a charm.

Wireless coverage is significantly extended versus before, even extending down to end of 30' garden and into the garage with 2 bars out of 4 on my phone (with router at front of house, so 2 internal and 1 external wall to get through).

As for Sky Fibre, I installed the semi-official 'Merlin' firmware due to Sky's insistence on using proprietary handshake protocols (meaning your average router won't be able to connect), and it connected first time plus it was probably the easiest router I've ever set-up. Literally minutes to set up, although another 40 minute wait ensued before finally connecting (due the scummy way Sky handle their fibre connection, not the router's fault!).

If you have Sky Fibre yourself, do a quick Google first as you'll need to 'sniff out' your login details using Wireshark if you are planning to get rid of your stock Sky router (the process is easy enough and there are plenty of detailed guides available on forums).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2015 1:39 PM GMT

Malibu Continuous Lotion Spray with SPF30
Malibu Continuous Lotion Spray with SPF30
Offered by chemistdirect

1.0 out of 5 stars Firefighters should try using this, 14 July 2013
This is not a 'mist spray' as described, but more of a 'full-on jet stream that could strip paint'.

It blasts out in one small jet, and I'm not even joking, this thing goes about 15 feet.

Cup your hand to collect some and you'll end up with serious sprayback all over your clothes. And either a hole in your hand, or as a minimum several layers of skin ripped off your palm.

Avoid, unless you have an issue with next door's cat leaving presents in your garden, in which case by all means use this to shoot the cat from your bedroom window, I guarantee it's got the range.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 4, 2014 2:27 PM BST

TV Portal - Stream TV and Movies
TV Portal - Stream TV and Movies

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 22 Mar. 2013
This is a must-have killer app. So easy to use and great to catch up on stuff you've missed, or if you want a trip down memory lane.

Keep up the good work!

AcuLife Ear Wax Removal Syringe
AcuLife Ear Wax Removal Syringe

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifesaver, 11 Feb. 2013
I've suffered with my ears for years after an infection once, resulting in frequent visits to my GP for a syringing (as recently as every 3-4 months cat one point).

The frustration of such frequent visits, combined with having to book my GP at least 2 weeks in advance (so 2 weeks+ of near-deafness) lead me to try any and every solution I could find.

For me the ear drops just turn the wax into glue, but this syringe...this is what I needed.

Make sure you do 3 or 4 days of olive oil treatment first (I just leave in each ear for 10 mins, head tilted whilst watching TV, once per day), then crack out the syringe.

I'm sure everybody is different, but for me the best approach is to angle it upwards slightly, and pointing slightly forwards, then give it all the beans and squeeze.

I would recommend building up the pressure at first, to find what is comfortable for you, but for me the best method is to squeeze as hard as I can...after 6 or 7 tries, all sorts of rankness flows forth. I squeeze with the hand that is also holding the syringe , but if you have smallish hands, you might need to hold in place with one and squeeze with the other.

Bloomin' brilliant, and no more irritating trips to the GP several times a year.

Worth persevering with until you find the best technique for you...I didn't rate it at first, then I found the sweet spot and now I'm a very happy bunny.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2016 6:33 PM GMT

Poetic Borderline Bumper case for Google Nexus 4 Smart Phone E960 LG Black/Gray(3 Year Warranty from Poetic)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 3 Jan. 2013
The case is a good fit, looks good, power and volume buttons all work fine, and holes for connections and microphones are all spot on.

Brilliant value overall, and certainly no need to carry on waiting for the official version.

Adds the minimum of extra bulk, so a very happy customer here.

Google Nexus 10 Tablet Case - G-HUB PropUp BLACK Stand Case Cover (with integrated stand function and magnetic sleep sensors) for Google / Samsung Nexus 10 with BONUS: G-HUB ProPen Stylus
Offered by G-Hub

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product, 4 Dec. 2012
For a tenner I figured this was worth a punt seeing as though Google still haven't released the official case yet.

Very impressed, quality seems very good indeed, even more so at this price.

Two different 'levels' are pretty much optimal, and the magnet sleep/wake works just fine. The overall fit is very good too, no complaints there either.

Didn't think I'd bother using the provided pen stylus thingy but it's actually quite effective at working around my usual fat-fingered efforts. Plus there is a holder for it on the edge of the case.

All in all, good job and pleasantly impressed!

iGroove SXT Digital Audio System for iPod and iPhoneSystem
iGroove SXT Digital Audio System for iPod and iPhoneSystem

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, decent sound, 27 Sept. 2012
I must admit, I was sceptical whether this would compare to a Bose product for sound quality, as I absolutely love my Bose Wave system, but I just couldn't justify the 200 squid or so on the Bose sound dock so I figured I'd give this a punt.

Pleasantly surprised, sound quality is definitely very good, and easily fills my little home office even at low volumes. I like a bit of bass and this is certainly punchy enough.

Nice and compact too so fits on the desk easily without hogging space. I've read that the Klipsch HG is better at filling rooms, but it also looks a fair bit chunkier from the pics so I'm happy with this one for the use I have in mind for it.

I wouldn't say it comes too close to my Bose Wave for sound quality, as that really is mega, but then we're not comparing like-for-like there so I'm not complaining, and for £70 it's definitely good value with decent sound and build quality (although my Wave is a few years old now, that cost at least £450 if I remember, so that's definitely not a fair comparison!).

Not having heard the Bose sound dock I can't really comment on how it measures up to that, but I can't believe that the sound of the Bose is superior enough to justify it's mighty price tag over this product.

Overall, very happy indeed.

UPDATE: just noticed that the unit cannot be put into Standby if you have an Aux cable attached...you need to remove the cable from the back of the unit before it will go into Standby. I use the Aux rather than the Dock as I don't have an Apple device, I just use my non-Apple phone for connection, so it loses a point for that.

Doro Congress 305 Business Telephone Black
Doro Congress 305 Business Telephone Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Fine until it went wrong, 4 May 2012
Overall, a pretty good phone. A little bit pricey for the money, but it looks good and the cheaper phones I looked at didn't look as smart as this one.

The loudspeaker works well, although I reckon you might struggle with the volume in an office with 'above-average' loudness.

The handset is fine although it could do with being slightly bigger so that it sits a little more comfortably on my big flappy ear!

Haven't used any of the other functions yet, such as the phone book, but am happy with it.

UPDATE 07/11/2012: speakerphone function appears to be degrading. Sound quality at my end is not too bad still, but people on the other end often complain of a loud buzzing noise which disappears if I pick up the handset (which turns off the speakerphone). Have now ordered a TH100 headset to get around this, although checking the phone user manual, it is worth noting that if you plug in a headset, this deactivates the speakerphone function; it's a case of one or the other. Not a problem in my case as the speakerphone function is now almost unusable anyway, but thought it worth mentioning.

UPDATE 08/11/2012: headset has arrived, tested it out...and still no better. The fault applies to the speakerphone AND headset function, so for me the phone is only fit for the bin now as I'm not holding the handset for meetings lasting an hour+...shame.

Page: 1 | 2