Profile for T-bone > Reviews

Content by T-bone

T-bone

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Womens Islamic Modest Batwing Plain Colourful Abaya Kaftan Jilbab Jersey Maxi Long Dress Jersy Hijaab Maxi (Navy)
Offered by aasecrets

4.0 out of 5 stars Generous size, decent quality, drapes nicely, comfortable, feminine., 25 July 2016
I bought one of these from elsewhere recently, and wanted to add a few comments that might help others decide if it is right garment for them.

Please note, I did not buy it as Islamic clothing, I bought it because I wanted a large loose and comfy dress to lounge around at home.
I am currently dealing with serious illness and the 2 main motivating factors for choosing this item were that
1) I was fed up of wearing pyjamas or joggers etc all the time at home but still needed something comfortable and
2) I required something that would be loose over my abdomen as currently experiencing a lot of nausea, bloating, abdo cramps etc and I am finding that some days now even joggers can put too much pressure round waistband.

When I came across this dress/abaya/kaftan/ it seemed like it would meet my requirements. The only thing I was uncertain about was the sizing, as like this one it was stated that it was one size fits all up to UK 16/18. Due to steroid treatment I have put on weight rapidly and currently wear a UK size 20 to 24 depending on manufacturer and style etc, so I was uncertain if it would fit too small for me. But the loose batwing shape looked quite large, and I have had batwing shape one-size tops in the past that were wide, so I took the chance.

Having now received my dress I will report my personal findings!
The fabric is heavier than I anticipated (not actually particularly heavy, but thicker and heavier than expected) and has a cotton jersey type feel. Unsure what fabric composition is, but it has that softer cottony feeling rather than the sort of shiny polyester material that many maxi dresses seem to be made from.
Although the fabric is thicker and heavier than expected, as it hasn't got the shiny polyester feel it would probably not be sweaty, especially if you are used to wearing something like this over your normal clothing anyway. The fabric being that bit thicker also makes it less likely to see through in the light also, if that is something that bothers you.
The size is a generous fit. I had no problems with it being too small, there was still drape and some breathing room inside. So I would say it would probably be suitable for most people up to a size UK 20/22, so long as you're not really tall.
On the flip side of this, it is a very generous fit, so if you are petite like a size 6, 8 or 10 and not particularly tall then this may swamp you and be too large. It should be easy enough to cinch in the waist with a belt, but may take a bit more effort to take up the hem. Obviously with the shape and style as it is, the larger your circumference, the less extra length there will be and vice versa.
The forearm section of the sleeve is tighter fitted to the body, and has plenty of length. Also good because it keep out drafts, and it means there's no drapey drooping sleeves to get in the way
As it has been so warm I haven't yet worn it or washed it so cannot comment on those aspects. However from initial inspection it appears to be well made.

In conclusion - this is a nice, decent quality dress, that would be suitable for a variety of functions ranging from lounge/sleepwear, casual daywear for cooler days, to Islamic dress and modest clothing.
The fabric has a nice handle, with a cotton-like feel and is soft and pliable. It has enough weight to drape nicely over the body without being too heavy or having any stiffness in the material. It gives a soft feminine shape that looks fairly elegant, while draping loosely over the body. It doesn't feel like clingy fabric. It will surely meet the standards required for "modest dress" as I believe it is interpreted by many Muslims, and for others who for whatever reason don't want to have their body on show, but certainly shouldn't be viewed as only suitable for Muslims, you could easily jazz this up with some carefully chosen accessories.
The sizing does come up large, it is quite long and also has plenty of width. This gives it good draping but may swamp smaller frames. Would fit most people up to size 20/22 IMO.

I hope these notes can be useful to somebody deciding whether to buy this dress. For me it appears to be comfy, loose and practical and exactly what I was looking for.

Purina Pro Plan Cat Food Delicate With Optirenal Rich In Turkey, 3Kg
Purina Pro Plan Cat Food Delicate With Optirenal Rich In Turkey, 3Kg

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent complete food for adult cats including those with different health requirements/illness, 11 July 2016
This is the only cat food I buy for my cats now. I have, and have had cats with varied health needs and this food seems to have served them all well, and promoted good health for them.
Until last year we had 4 cats, sadly my two old men both passed on last year. They are/were all rescue animals.
The 2 that died last year each had their own health problems - one had needed most of his teeth removed due to severe tooth decay that occurred before we adopted him, and also had a very delicate stomach; and the other had a heart murmur and as such also quite a delicate renal system. They were middle aged when we got them, and due to their lives prior to us, and their health problems we were told by the shelter that A) They would require an extremely expensive veterinary specialist diet & B) They would not have a long life expectancy, they predicted - as did our vet when we took them for a check over when we first took them in - that they would only live to about 11-12.
Well, the expensive food we were recommended didn't seem to be doing that so much benefit, the one with few teeth often had a very loose tummy, and the other was often on and off the litter tray able to only pass small amounts of urine at a time. While obviously also seeking the vets treatment and advice, I started trying them on different foods to see if anything improved matters.
Having tried several with little difference, I happened upon this Purina Pro Plan Delicate cat food when it came on offer in the local pet store.
Within the space of a week, the toothless cat was no longer suffering with loose stools, and his breath also improved. The cat with the heart and kidney trouble was finally able to pass urine properly and was no longer on and off the tray. They both seemed livelier and more energetic, and their coats also improved - this was probably through general health improvement rather than the food itself, but they were all noticeable differences. A few months after things had settled down I did try moving across to a cheaper similar food but within 2 weeks the old problems began to appear, so after that we just stuck with this one.
A couple of years after adopting those 2, we took in another 2 cats who were kittens at the time. Once they moved onto adult food, I did briefly try them on a cheaper dry food, but they were far more interested in the other cat's bowls that contained the Purina than their own, so I switched them to this also. The male had to have all his teeth removed when he got a serious gum infection and abscess in his mouth and I worried if he would cope with these dry biscuits, but I needn't have worried - it only took him a couple of days to get back on them and he doesn't seem to have any trouble with them. The female will only eat this food. She is an extremely fussy cat, she will not eat anything except these - not treats, not fresh cooked chicken, only this food.
All my cats have thrived on this food. The two much-missed old men reached the ages of 16 - just a few weeks shy of 17, and the other had just turned 17. considering the expectancy when we got them they did really well. They were happy and healthy right up to the end and died of old age.
The two I still have seem very happy with this food. The male has an impaired sense of smell following the serious illness when he was a kitten, but this food seems to be very appetising and appealing to him. The girl is as fussy as ever, and this is the only food she will accept, the one time there was some kind of supply issue and I was out of this for a week she pretty much refused to eat anything, and she will only eat out of a particular bowl, which has to be placed on the same tile in the bathroom!
I highly recommend this food, it is a complete food for adult cats, and the biscuits are good for their teeth (those that have them!). It really seems to promote good health, and appeals to even the fussiest of eaters. The "optirenal" thing does genuinely seem to alleviate some kidney and bladder problems and it is gentle on delicate tummies. As for the humans - it is convenient as it is a complete food for your cats so you can simply measure out a portion of this and don't need to add anything. It comes in different sizes including a generous 3kg size which lasts us 3-4 weeks for 2 small cats, and the bag had a handle on one side, and opens across a corner and is resealable so it is easy to use, pour and store. It doesn't have a strong unpleasant odour like some cats foods do, even some bscuits. Because it is dry food it is easy to clean the bowls after meals, and any spillage is easy to sweep up. It is not the cheapest cat food but in my opinion - and my cats opinions - this is the best food.

Terumo Pack Of 10 Oral Syringe For Accurate Administration Of Liquids - Available in 3 sizes (1ml)
Offered by Muzamedical

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 2 Jun. 2016
Bought these a while ago, and coming back to reorder. I have found them to be very useful, I actually use them for decanting perfume from splash/dabber bottles into spray bottles, as I find small dabbers fiddly to use, and with larger bottles I don't want to risk contaminating the expensive perfume when it comes into contact with skin oils and so on, as when stored well perfumes will last years and years.
These have been perfect for this use. I bought the 1ml size as they have smallest diameter meaning they fit into the neck of all the bottles I have used them for, even those that are very narrow. The clear and precise measurements marked on the outside of the syringes mean it is easy to extract the exact amount I want, and they have a very smooth motion, the plunger doesn't jam, stick, jerk etc, it just slides smoothly in both directions which is great, makes it much easier to decant my perfumes. I did try some others before these and they didn't glide anywhere near as smoothly as these.
As I don't require them to be medically sterile for this use, I tend to write the name of the perfume each syringe has been used with on the papery backing of the sterile packaging and then wrap the syringe back in the wrapper. That way I can reuse the syringe when I next decant from any particular bottle.
One thing I would say is that when I have accidentally put the syringe too far into the liquid, the measurement markings on the syringes has come off. Therefore if using for a similar purpose I suggest trying to only insert the tip to avoid this, as it makes it harder to use them as accurately and I don't know if the black might damage the perfume.
Having worked in healthcare, and also having looked after poorly animals before, I feel confident in saying that these would also be entirely suitable for the more conventional uses of an oral syringe!

Titanium Cloth Heel Protector - (Left and Right Foot Included)
Titanium Cloth Heel Protector - (Left and Right Foot Included)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 28 Dec. 2013
I am on my feet a lot at the moment and was suffering with really sore heels. I saw a podiatrist who diagnosed plantar fasciitis and achilles tendonitis and prescribed me some orthotic shoe inserts. Although these are helping with the pain in the arch and the back of my ankle my heels were still so painful. I was also finding that the changed position of my foot in my shoe was causing rubbing and blisters to the back of my ankle.

At my wits end and thinking I had little to lose, I placed an order for these heel protector.
Well, wow! What a difference. These seem to really cushion my heels and also offer protection from rubbing at the back of the heel/ankle. I genuinely cannot believe the difference they have made in terms of comfort. I can even wear with my orthotics and the slim profile of these means it doesn't add further bulk in my shoes.

The only real down sides I can say are: If you wear over your socks with tight shoes they may get pushed up as you put your shoes on, so take care with this that it doesn't crumple up. I wear mine under my socks - I don't have especially sweaty feet so not a problem for me but I think if you were prone to sweaty feet this may not work direct against the skin.
Also, they state one size fits all - I am a wide UK 5 and they fit perfectly, but if you had very large feet or chubby feet/ankles they may feel tight.

But for me, these have been wonderful, in fact I am ordering another pair so I always have one available!

Al Aneeq Neroli Fragrance Perfume Oil - 3ml
Al Aneeq Neroli Fragrance Perfume Oil - 3ml

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely, 21 Dec. 2013
This little tiny bottle - 3ml - of thick luscious juice sure packs a punch.
A big blast of gorgeous heady white flowers, truly beautiful, neroli is used as a note in so many perfumes and it is nice to have a stand alone.
This stuff is strong, you only need a little dab to get a powerful scent so don't be fooled by the small size or the oil base. Very feminine, full bodied, well rounded, lush.
Good longevity and sillage, this is gorgeous.
Bottle is tiny, very cute, a screw on lid, under which is a stopper with a plastic dabber attached (I am sure there are fancy words for these things, but I don't know them!)
Very nice and good price, would buy again.

Green Tea Perfume Oil - 6ml by Al Rehab
Green Tea Perfume Oil - 6ml by Al Rehab
Offered by Al Manar Books and Perfumes

5.0 out of 5 stars the ultimate green tea fragrance, 21 Dec. 2013
Call off the search, here is the green tea scent you have been looking for.
Full bodied and rich this smells JUST like high end expensive green tea leaves.
Excellent longevity from this, 12 hour plus, and moderate projection.
Lovely, clean, fresh and with a hint of softness that make this a lovely choice and I think it will be perfect for hot summer weather or cold winter days.
The best green tea perfume I have tried. 6ml roller-ball applicator makes this easy to apply and you need only a little as it is strong. Perfect size for popping in your bag for touch ups during the day.
Another winner from al-rehab, I will be trying others from this brand.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars not a violet fragrance!, 21 Dec. 2013
I came across this on my hunt for violet scented perfumes.
This is not a violet scented perfume, lest the name confuse you!
This is however, a pleasing clean fresh scent. Suitable for wearing at work as it is quite delicate and not at all overpowering, it has a very clean smell.
This is feminine without being girly, I think it would suit women of all ages.
I actually think it has a lemon scent to it, or something similar, a light, clean, fresh sparkling note, with a hint of florals and perhaps a touch of woods.
Longevity is moderate - around 6-7 hours and projection is minimal - close by and you will smell it but you won't be wafting a trail of perfume behind you, making this a good bet for work. The scent if fairly linear and does not change that much over time.
You can get this quite cheap and at the price it is a good bet if you want a fresh, light, crisp and feminine work-day scent.

Aroosah Perfume Oil - 6ml by Al Rehab
Aroosah Perfume Oil - 6ml by Al Rehab
Offered by The Orient UK

4.0 out of 5 stars very interesting different perfume, 20 Dec. 2013
This was unlike any perfume I have used before.

Initially this has quite an astringent, sharp almost medicinal smell, like antiseptic.
After a few minutes on the skin it starts to soften and become more rounded, there is a note in this, I am unsure what that reminds me of cedar, pine oil, perhaps even tea tree or eucalyptus? that means it does retain its slight sharp, antiseptic nature, however this softens over time. I think also chamomile in this, maybe roman chamomile which is also quite sharp.
This does get more soft and round as the day progresses, and after a few hours it softens to a lovely clean, slightly sweet in a smoky incense, light florally type perfume.

This isn't one I could wear every day, I would have to be in the right mood for this, and it is very different to my usual scents.
Longevity is amazing - I could still faintly smell this the next morning on my skin and definitely could smell it on my clothes. Projection is moderate, which is probably good for such a unique smell as I imagine it would really not be to some peoples tastes. I enjoy it most after the first few hours when it has softened and become more rounded and feminine.

The perfume itself arrived quickly, a small 6ml tube with roll on applicator making it easy to apply, This is oil based not alcohol based and be aware - a little goes a long way!

If you want to try something different give it a try you might enjoy it, and it is cheap enough to give it a go.

Bvlgari Petits Et Mamans Eau de Toilette - 100 ml
Bvlgari Petits Et Mamans Eau de Toilette - 100 ml
Offered by Prestige Europe

4.0 out of 5 stars fresh, clean, comforting, 10 Dec. 2013
I know this is marketed as a scent for mothers and babies but I am not entirely sure why you'd use perfume on a baby - OK I don't have one myself but the ones I do know/have known tend to smell either of talc and washing powder, or sour milk and dirty nappies, depending on when you are looking after them - and I doubt any perfume would cover the mucky nappy smell....but anyway, I digress.
I like this perfume. It is not especially complex - to me it smells of baby powder, faint chamomile and after the first half hour or so it has a pleasant faint orangey scent. It reminds me of fresh, line dried laundry, very light, airy and gentle. It is not in any way sexy, sensual or alluring it is simply clean and pleasant.
I find it lasts pretty well - a good few sprays in the morning on my skin after showering, and one quick spray onto my clothes as I leave the house and I can still faintly smell this about 4-5 hours later. It is a good one to use for work days if you are in close proximity to others such as in a small office or in caring roles as it makes you smell clean and fresh without smelling "perfumey" if that makes sense. There is very little to offend.
I find this a nice scent to use in the summer when it is hot as it is not cloying or sickly like some perfumes can be.
I give 4 stars only because of all the perfumes out there this is not in my top ten - that said I like it enough to be on my third bottle in 10 years, so not one I reach for on a daily basis but I do enjoy it.

Violet Fragrance Botanical Perfume Oil In Atomiser Bottle
Violet Fragrance Botanical Perfume Oil In Atomiser Bottle

4.0 out of 5 stars light, fresh violet oil, 9 Dec. 2013
This is a proper parma violet sweet scented violet, very light, clear and fresh.
I was dubious at first as I ordered 3 different scents at the same time and one had leaked in transit (the orange flower one) and I'll admit that scent was not my cup of tea so I was worried, also not happy it had leaked.
The violet had not leaked, when I removed the cap and sniffed before spraying all I smelled was a fishy smell! Oh no I thought, what have I bought?! However once I actually sprayed the oil (onto a blotter not skin as I was worried about the fishiness) what emerged was a clean, pleasant straightforward violet. I left this on the side in my room and when I went back in a few hours later the whole room was filled with a lovely gentle violet smell. I think the fishy smell must be the plastic bottle - I just hope this doesn't seep into the oil over time.
This is very linear on the skin - it smells the same from first spritz until it wears away hours later, it just gradually gets lighter and fainter until it fades away, very pleasant. It has reasonable longevity for an oil, maybe 4-6 hours which I thought good for the price and as it is a small atomizer you could take it with you to freshen up - though I am wary after the orange leaked. You don't need much so it should last well despite being small. It is an oil so bear this in mind when using as it may stain fabric, make sure you rub it in and wait for it to dry before it comes into contact with clothing.
One thing I like about this, I love "L'heure bleue" by Guerlain but it is very expensive - rather than re-spray l'heure bleue which is rather pricey if I want to freshen up I add a spritz of this violet oil to my wrists and neck and it revitalises the l'heure bleue, accentuating the violet accent which I really like.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8