Profile for rays_girl > Reviews

Veet for Men Hair Removal Gel Creme 200 ml
Veet for Men Hair Removal Gel Creme 200 ml
Offered by frontlinesellers

3.0 out of 5 stars Veet for men, not women, 6 Aug 2014
My boyfriend used this and his skin was so smooth, so when there was a little fuzz on my legs I thought I'd give his Veet a try. I found there's a reason they call this Veet FOR MEN. Immediately, instead of disappearing, the light fuzz grew into a forest of thick fur, and it continues to grow, and so quickly. If I don't cut it, it looks like I'm wearing trousers made of dark yeti fur. I now have to mow it with a scythe several times a day, and plait it in between times. The local pavements have never been so well swept, but my ankles are laden down with all the debris that collects in the hairy forest. I've even extracted small children from my fur at the end of the day.

Mind you, the hair growth has been so spectacular that Veet for men could be marketed to women as a cure for hair loss.

LEGO Collectable Minifigures: Scottish Highland Battler Minifigure (Series 6)
LEGO Collectable Minifigures: Scottish Highland Battler Minifigure (Series 6)
Offered by PANGADGETS UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Celt, 15 Nov 2013
It's the spitting image of TV presenter Neil Oliver. He is perfect to go into battle with Boudicca (LEGO Minifigures Series 7 - VIKING WOMAN)* against the Romans (LEGO 8827 Minifigures Series 6:Roman Soldier (Loose), Lego Minifigures Series 10: Roman Commander

*Vikings didn't have horned helmets, so she must be an ancient Briton.

Touring England - Retro Board Game
Touring England - Retro Board Game
Offered by Green Toys And Games

4.0 out of 5 stars Better if you use your own rules., 1 Mar 2012
We had to tweak the rules a little:
Don't start from one of the towns on the cards, as this can give a player an unfair advantage.
Dispense with the rule of requiring an exact throw to land on a town you have a card for, as you'll be held up in "traffic jams" for about 20 turns. If a player reaches a town with an inexact throw, he should rest in that town and miss his next turn instead.
The spots are quite small and the cars are a bit fiddly. It's easy to knock them when throwing the die.

The Sims 3 Box Set (Game Guides)
The Sims 3 Box Set (Game Guides)
by Prima Games

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great, but adequate for a cheapskate!, 7 Jan 2012
As other reviewers have said, the print is tiny and difficult to read; hardly a relaxing late night treat. The pictures are also too small and b/w. An index would be helpful. The encyclopedia should supply that, but it only really has a list of all the objects in the expansion packs (including the stuff packs), lists of motives, traits and opportunities. I wanted a full list of careers from all the packs, and I had to make my own because I could not find it in here.
However, it's OK for an overview. The guides helped me progress when I was stuck in a tomb, a blurry picture is better than none for seeking collectables, and it's good to have lists in one place. Guides aren't necessary to game play, but they are nice to have. These have the virtue of being cheap. I like the small book size, as it's easier to handle than the A4 guides, but I really wish the print was bigger.

The Passionate Brood
The Passionate Brood
by Margaret Campbell Barnes

4.0 out of 5 stars A novel about Richard the Lionheart and his family., 29 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Passionate Brood (Paperback)
This has both the things I like from a historical novel - love and war. I didn't find it as gripping as some other books by Margaret Campbell Barnes because she talked about the whole family rather than getting right inside one person.
Some characters are more appealing than others, such as the sweet Berengaria or the feisty Joanna. It is one of the nice things about historical fiction that shadowy historical women are made to come alive, with all their thoughts and feelings and romances.
I didn't feel the Robin Hood thing worked very well, and the family seemed too Anglo-centric, with barely a hint of their French lands and ancestry.
As usual I'd take some of the history with a pinch of salt. For example towards the end of the book John has a baby called Henry, the suggestion being that this is the future Henry III, who was not born until 1207, 8 years after Richard's death.

Within the Hollow Crown
Within the Hollow Crown
by Margaret Campbell Barnes

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 19 Dec 2010
These books have been out of print for years, but now I can cease raking around in charity shops looking for them!
Although Barnes's historical facts are not always correct, her style of writing is beautiful, and I always fall in love with the main characters. The hero or heroine will be portrayed sympathetically, and I feel I can touch the luscious fabrics they are wearing.
I literally read this book walking down the street. This is the only book I have done that with. It's very romantic, and through it I got fascinated in later medieval history (and did a degree in it).
There aren't enough novels about Richard II and his times. I think he was ahead of his time and, had he not been deposed, the Renaissance could have happened in England a lot sooner, as he patronised the arts (e.g. Chaucer), rather than messing about fighting. Incidentally, Elizabeth I likened herself to him.

Different Class / Deluxe Edition
Different Class / Deluxe Edition
Offered by YouWantIt-WeGotIt

5.0 out of 5 stars Pulp - the jewel of Britpop, 20 Nov 2008
Are there really people who do not know this album? Every track could have been a single. It's brilliant. I had it when it first came out - with 12 different covers. When I first heard "Mis-shapes" I thought, "the revolution has arrived". My Jarvis Cocker impressions were famed at school.
I always thought it a shame that the B-sides were hidden away. There's a certain weirdness in a 14 year old getting excited at "PTA", which is about a teacher wanting an affair with a student.
For me this album defines an era, and I can't put my feelings into words. I think it is fresh-sounding, well-crafted, strong and vibrant, and Pulp's most commercial sounding album.

5.0 out of 5 stars 20th Century Men survey the abyss, 9 Aug 2008
This review is from: Muswell Hillbillies (Audio CD)
I agree with Jervis's comments about the musical influences. The music here was unfamiliar to me the first time I heard it, being very slightly country rock. However, it is a very English form of country, and, compared with American country and country rock, it is hardly country at all.
I know this album isn't everyone's favourite, but I do find it enjoyable. It takes the listener on a rollercoaster of emotions.
I find "Holloway Jail" too depressing to listen to, but other tracks have a bitter-sweetness. The drunkard bemoans his fate in "Alcohol", but this song is catchy and I can imagine drunks leaving the pub singing it. I love "Have a Cuppa Tea", a joyous knees-up salute to England's favourite drink (hallelujah rosie lee). "Uncle Son" is "an ordinary man", who is not interested in others' political ideals, especially those that have to be fought for. He just wants life to be comfortable.
"20th Century Man" makes me think of the poem "5 ways to kill a man" by Edwin BrockTouched with Fire: An Anthology of Poems. The 20th century is too complicated; people want simple, good lives, but they get mental illness, alcoholism and other addictions, eating disorders, pollution, governmental espionage on the populace, which causes paranoia, and officialdom taking away everything that folk hold dear. In short, this album is just as relevant in the 21st century.
We see the usual Davies nostalgia. Just as in "Celluloid Heroes"Everybody's in Show-Biz ,film always seems better than real life. For me, "Oklamhoma USA" sums up this attitude best. The movies portray the myth of the freedom of the Wild West, so familiar to small children of Ray's generation. Compared with that simple, free world that never really existed off screen, all modern life seems complicated and dictatorial, a view Davies would later take to extremes in Preservation Act 2Preservation Act 2 +2 Preservation: Acts 1 & 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars 20th Century Men on the edge of the abyss, 9 Aug 2008
This review is from: Muswell Hillbillies (Audio CD)
"20th Century Man" makes me think of the poem "5 ways to kill a man" by Edwin Brock Touched with Fire: An Anthology of Poems. The 20th century is too complicated; people want simple, good lives, but they get mental illness, alcoholism and other addictions, eating disorders, pollution, governmental espionage on the populace, which causes paranoia, and officialdom taking away everything that folk hold dear. In short, this album is just as relevant in the 21st century.
We see the usual Davies nostalgia. Just as in "Celluloid Heroes" Everybody's in Show-Biz ,film always seems better than real life. For me, "Oklamhoma USA" sums up this attitude best. The movies portray the myth of the freedom of the Wild West, so familiar to small children of Ray's generation. Compared with that simple, free world that never really existed off screen, all modern life seems complicated and dictatorial, a view Davies would later take to extremes in Preservation Act 2 Preservation Act 2 +2 Preservation: Acts 1 & 2.

Safe at Home
Safe at Home
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Cosy Country to snuggle under the "big old quilt" with, 8 Aug 2008
This review is from: Safe at Home (Audio CD)
I think this is an adorable little album. It's very mellow. I like this and "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" much better than the Flying Burritos' albums. The ISB version of "Do you know how it feels to be lonesome" brings tears to my eyes, which the FBB version never could.
"Blue eyes" is a cute song about a contented home life. "Millers cave" is funny, and all the more appropriate for Gram as it is set in his hometown of Waycross, GA. When I hear it I always think of David Crosby as aggressive Big Dave; but Gram nicked Dave's girlfriend!
Emmylou Harris fans will recognise some of the tracks, e.g. "Luxury liner", and I like to compare Gram's version of "A satisfied mind" with the version The Byrds did on "Turn turn turn".

Page: 1 | 2