Profile for JWB > Reviews

Content by JWB

JWB (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
5X G9 5W SMD 3014 LED Bulb 5W G4 led lamp 3014 SMD LED Light Bulbs 240V G9 spotlight bulb in crystal lamp Super Bright G9 led,Warm White
Offered by elinkuam

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother - Try the 5050 G9s instead., 11 July 2014
About as bright as a 20W Halogen. Used these in some external security lights. Horrendous strobing effect in all of them. Reminds me of my youth in a disco! I've used LED GU10 replacements elsewhere in the house and raved about them, but these were giving me a headache just putting the bin out. This kind of lamp gives LED lighting a bad name. Look for 5050 G9s instead - the larger phosphor area may reduce the strobe effect. Speaking of which, an earlier reviewer mentions they have an afterglow when switched off - this is true for all LED lamps because of the phosphors used and is very faint. Don't see why that would be a reason to return them. CFLs also glow after you've turned them off for the same reason.

Totopoly
Totopoly
Offered by Midco Toys Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be good - If the rules were more explicit, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Totopoly (Toy)
Bought this on a nostalgia trip, as I last played it in about 1974 as a kid and then it was off the market for a long time.

The board in this version is a 4-piece jigsaw puzzle affair, so you need a proper table top on which to play it. - Don't consider playing it on the carpet, because you'll be constantly trying to keep the pieces of the board from coming apart.

The horses are plastic, and the money is the usual quite cheap, thin paper that is common nowadays, although the stable cards and advantage cards are of suitably thick card.

The one big problem with this game is the Rules. Specifically, the number of ambiguities. There are many areas in the gameplay that simply aren't described in enough detail in the rules sheet, leading to numerous arguments about what should happen. The rules also assume you are a horse-racing afficionado and are liberally scattered with hose-racing terminology with no explanations for the dummies.

The gameplay itself is quite complex compared to say, Monopoly, and it does need a few games to get into the swing of it, but once you do, it can be an enjoyable couple of hours for adults.

Although I remember enjoying it (I was about six or seven, and my dad may have simplified the rules greatly), I don't think it would compare favourably to the XBox with today's youngsters.

Verdict: Ok for a christmas outing with a few beers.

Corel PaintShop Pro X6 Ultimate (PC)
Corel PaintShop Pro X6 Ultimate (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs lots of RAM and some getting used to, 6 Feb 2014
I've been using psp7 for years and I cannot think of one time when it crashed on me. Rock solid and really quick, even on Win 8.1 However, recently I needed to edit some large scans and was running into memory problems, so thought I'd give X6 64 bit a try.

Within 10 minutes, it had crashed twice when using the magic wand tool. On the third attempt, it bizarrely shifted one of the colours in the image. You constantly have to wait 10 seconds while it is ' writing to the undo file'. It takes forever to save large files, and the ui is cluttered and depressingly dark. None of the tools are any quicker than psp7. 64bit software that can't manage the same files as its 10-year old ancestor? Really? When Corel bought psp, I stopped upgrading, as it was taking on more and more of the Corel look and feel (my experience with CorelDraw was always ghastly). Sadly, I think that worry was justified.

I suppose I'm an uncommon user of PSP, as I use the vector graphics extensively alongside the raster layers. It seems none of the original PSP tools have been made any better (although they were pretty excellent in psp7), just more and more photo retouching bloat added.

I wish manufacturers would occasionally bring out a software release that actually significantly improved the existing functionality, rather than just adding bloat upon bloat. This is supposed to be 64bit software. Should I really have to wait 20 seconds for it to save an image??? Or think it is painfully slow compared to its distant ancestors, even on a 6 month old machine with Win8.1?

And the memory problem? - Well, I can load two large images (which psp7 complained about), but the performance drops to zero, so it is unusable! This isn't a physical memory limitation - I still have 3/4GB free.

If you want photo editing software, and you haven't already got a previous version of psp, this is for you. It does (as did version7), offer great value for photo retouching (as long as the file sizes aren't too big). However, if you already own a previous version and think you'll get faster speed and improvements of existing tools don't bother.

UPDATE 2014-04-12:
I feel I had to follow on my original review with an update, as I've been using PSP X6 for about a month now and my original review was quite harsh. It would seem most of my original problems were down to lack of RAM - If you want to edit large files (around 500MB - that's a 24bit colour A4 scan at 1200DPI), you need at least 8GB of RAM. I recently upgraded my machine to 8GB and the performance editing 500MB files has improved dramatically. What had me foxed originally is that Performance Monitor was showing 3/4 (750MB) free, but PSP apparently needs much more breathing space, as a single image now takes up around 6 or 7GB while editing.

File loading and saving is still slow, but much better with more RAM.

As for the UI - You can set the theme to light grey, which is a bit less depressing. I still think there's a lot of wasted space around the title bar and toolbars, but having used it for a while, it's not bad. It would be nice if the alternative tools on the tools palette (like the shapes tool) slid out when you hovered over them, as you tend to forget there are other tools when you don't use them a lot.

I still wish they'd bring out a "supercharged" release that concentrated on speed improvements rather than extra features, and the limitation of max 20000 pixels in the XY dimensions seems a bit arbitrary and limited when stitching photos and scans given today's high resolution scanners and cameras, although apparently Photoshop also has a limit of only 30000 pixels per side.

In all, it's a fantastic bargain given the price, but 10 years doesn't seem to have resulted in a huge improvement over PSP7.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2014 4:33 PM BST

40W Netbook Charger for Asus Eee PC R011PX R051PX X101CH X101H R101 R105 R105D R101D R101X - Lavolta® Laptop Notebook AC Adapter Power Supply - White
Offered by Smart Parts UK, Digital Lifestyle Retailer

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but a bit short, 5 Oct 2013
This item comes with a separate mains lead about 1.2M in length with a standard moulded UK plug which plugs into the charger. the low-voltage side cable is permanently fixed to the charger, which is fine, but it's very short at about 1 metre. This means if you move around (shifting positions when slouching on the sofa, for example), you are constantly tugging the charger and mains lead around,which is a real pain and puts undue stress on both ends of the low-voltage side of the cable and the netbook power socket.

Given that it is designed for a NetBook, which is likely to be used in this way and not sat rigidly at a desk, a longer thin lightweight low-voltage cable with a shorter mains lead would have been a better design choice, as with the original Asus psu.

Electrically, and physically, it looks nice in white and it charges like it says on the tin.

Pack of 3 - MiniSun Branded 3W Super Bright GU10 LED Bulbs with 60 x 3527 SMD LEDs - 420 Lumens - Warm White
Offered by The Light Factory

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than Halogens, 5 Oct 2013
These warm-white 3W lamps are *very* bright and perfect for recessed ceiling lighting due to having a very wide dispersion pattern (wider than the widest halogens) due to the flat nature LED arrangement. This also means you're not constantly working in your own shadow - my pet hate of halogens.

My perception is they are easily brighter than 50W halogens. This may be down to their flood angle.

The colour is superb, again being better than halogens in my opinion. Whereas halogens give off a harsh yellowish light, these are much more natural with a very very slight yellow/pink-ish hue which is much more pleasant on the eye. Having said that, I must emphasise that the light is a very natural(?) artificial(!) light and not 'daylight white'.

As with all LED lamps, turn-on time is instant, so no more groping around in the twilight for 5 minutes waiting for Compact Flourescents to warm up.

All in all, a superb lamp and far superior to cheaper LED lamps, which are still giving LED lighting a bad name.

I don't understand why the big chains don't sell quality lamps like these at reasonable prices, even the brands don't match this quality at 3 times the price, but that is to the web entrepeneurs' advantage and good luck to them!

5X G4 1.5W LED Bulb DC12V 1.5W G4 led lamp,3014 SMD LED Light Bulbs,12V G4 spotlight bulbs in crystal lamp,Super Bright G4 led ,Warm White
Offered by elinkuam

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent substitute for halogens., 27 Sep 2013
At 1.5W, these are noticably brighter than a 10W halogen, probably equialent to a 15W halogen, which is no bad thing. Comparing them alongside existing 10W halogens, the colour is a little whiter, but certainly not unpleasant, and certainly not 'cold', just like a halogen was being run a little hotter.

These are the ONLY G4 LED replacements I've seen that will fit in enclosed decorative fittings, as they are only 9mm diameter and only slightly longer than a conventional G4 lamp.

Ironically (and unexpectedly), these lamps give clear and/or moulded glass fittings more 'sparkle' than a conventional point-source halogen lamp, making them even more attractive.

They also work very well in frosted fittings giving a larger, more uniform light-emitting surface area than halogens.

The lamp material is a bit strange - I was expecting glass/hard plastic, but it is a firm, slightly flexible silicone material although it is crystal clear.

When I replace all the lamps in my fittings, I'll replace the halogen transformer with a proper LED driver to avoid damaging them by over-driving them.

I've only had them a few days, but so far I'm very impressed. They use 10% of the energy, they are brighter, they actually look *nicer* than halogens, and because they generate a lot less heat, my fittings won't end up going brittle after a few years.

UPDATE 17/01/2014
Four months in, and these are still performing very well. They do mellow very slightly after a month or so of average use. When putting new ones alongside existing ones, there is a noticable colour difference, but this diminishes as they wear in. Still very pleased with these.

Philips Sonicare HX6511/33 Easy Clean Rechargeable Sonic Toothbrush
Philips Sonicare HX6511/33 Easy Clean Rechargeable Sonic Toothbrush

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 7 Aug 2013
I recently replaced a broken Ultrasonex with this one and was worried that it wouldn't give as good a clean as a real ultrasonic brush but I was wrong you can feel the brush getting right in between your teeth. My teeth feel really clean and stay clean for longer during the day. The LiIon Battery lasts for about 2 weeks on a single charge. You soon get used to the vigorous action of this brush helped by the gradual build up function built in. Don't waste your money on the 'deluxe multimode' versions - this will clean your teeth just as well.

My only tiny minus comment is that the cleaning timer doesn't seem long enough to get around my whole mouth, but I'm using the small brush head and maybe I just have a bigger than average mouth. :-)

Wii HDMI Converter / Wii to HDMI Converter - Scales Wii Signal to 720p and 1080p - WII TO HDMI WII2HDMI 720P OR 1080P VIDEO CONVERTER ADAPTOR HD HDTV + 3.5MM AUDIO
Offered by XCSOURCE

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for converting your Wii to HDMI, 7 Aug 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Like some of the other reviewers, I bought this purely because of a lack of analogue inputs on a new tv. Picture quality is fine, but definitely NOT as good as using component video. Mine defaulted to 720p, and like another reviewer, I found that switching to 1080p made no difference to picture quality. There are no instructions in the box to tell you how to do this (see other reviews).

In short, if you're looking for the best possible picture quality from your Wii, buy a component lead which costs less and use the component video inputs on your tv.

Black Leather Wallet Flip Case Cover Pouch For Samsung Galaxy Y S5360 + Free Screen Protector - Black
Offered by GB Online Sales

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Nice., 30 July 2013
Not much one can say about a phone case, but given the price of £1.99, I thought I would dispel any fears about the quality.

These cases are really nice and come individually packaged in retail packaging.

Material is standard pvc faux leather with a fine texture and stitching around the edge. A plastic cage with holes in all the right places holds the phone in place nicely and takes up very little room and the holes in the back are in the right place for the camera.

The case has a magnetic clasp in the little closing strap that holds the case securely closed and can is easily opened with one hand if necessary. There are also a couple of credit-card pockets although I wouldn't want to use these as I think the cards would end up scuffing the phone screen.

The case is the perfect size for the phone and comes with a nice little cleaning cloth and a screen protector which works really well (no loss of accuracy).

I reckon you'd be looking at £10 - £12 for this in the shops whereas £1.99 would probably get you the screen protector and cleaning cloth, so a real bagain.

Added to that, the delivery was super quick (ordered Sunday evening, received in post Tuesday morning).

All in all, excellent all round from GB Online Sales (they deserve a plug!)

Mens Military Black Dial Fabric Strap Swiss Design Date Sport Army Watch MR051
Mens Military Black Dial Fabric Strap Swiss Design Date Sport Army Watch MR051
Offered by ESS Industrial(From UK)

2.0 out of 5 stars Hope the military doesn't use these!, 30 July 2013
(Pease read the update at the bottom of the post for ESS Customer service)...

Comes in a nice box with a spare battery - not that you'll need the spare battery because the watch probably won't outlast the fitted one. After a couple of weeks mine started to occasionally lose time as if it had stopped. After 3 weeks the winder fell off and the watch died completely.

It hasn't been thrown around. I only wore it to work, which is a desk job, so it's not like it had a hard life before giving up the ghost. I bought this as I just wanted a cheap watch and that's exactly what it is.

From a looks point of view, it doesn't feel or look particulary cheap, although the style is a bit teenager-ish (but you can see that from the pics). The strap is a coarse nylon fabric, which is a bit itchy and not very comfortable, and a pain to fasten, as the holes for the buckle-pin are too small and the pin itself is too short.

In summary, you get what you pay for. Caveat Emptor and all that.

UPDATE: 14 August 2013.
I was going to put this down to experience, but decided that I would click on the returns button for this item. I wrote a brief explanation of the problem and got an almost instant apologetic reply from ESS Industrial, who sent out a replacement straight away and was with me the next day.

The replacement is evidently from a different batch as the second hand is completely red, whereas the problematic watch second hand had a white tip and a longer strap. The shorter strap is too short for my average-sized 8 1/2" circumference wrists (concurring with another reviewer's comments), but I've swapped it with the older longer strap.

All in all, fantastic service from ESS Industrial. Just a shame about the quality and strap issues. Bumping up to 3 stars for service, but can't recommend the watch yet.

UPDATE: December 2013.
Ok, so the winder has also fallen off the replacement watch. The watch still works, but don't know what I'm going to do when the clocks go back! I think the problem is the winder is just too big and the strength of the joint to the spindle not strong enough to cope with the strain. As you move your wrist, it puts repeated strain on the spindle because the winder is quite chunky.
So, despite excellent service from ESS, I can't recommend this model.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2013 10:17 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2