Profile for Tim > Reviews

Tim (UK)

Create: Stop Making Excuses and Start Making Stuff
Create: Stop Making Excuses and Start Making Stuff

5.0 out of 5 stars A Short Simple Guide to Creativity, 30 Oct. 2015
Stephen Altrogge wants every Christian to flex their creative muscle. He begins by encouraging us to create by showing this is part of being made in the image of God. He then gives proverbs-like advice on how to keep going in our creativity, tackling a number of key issues such as fear of man, dealing with critiquing and being lazy.

It's only short but it covers the ground well. I can't really think of anything that would be worth adding. My only criticism is that I'd like to have a print copy of the book rather than only an Amazon copy. But all in all, a very good book.

A Christian's Pocket Guide to Loving The Old Testament: One Book, One God, One Story
by Alec Motyer

4.0 out of 5 stars A Book That Makes You Want to Read the Old Testament, 14 Oct. 2015
This book is very different to many books on the Old Testament. The purpose is not to outline individual books or give their historical backgrounds (for that see How to Read the Bible Book by Book: A Guided Tour or The Message of the Old Testament). Instead it's aim is to make you passionate about reading the Old Testament. Does Motyer succeed?

Loving the Old Testament has a number of strengths.All the chapters really are bitesize, which means it won't take long to get through the book. Moreover, Motyer also has a really infectious passion for the Old Testament which at a number of points really encouraged me to want to read it for myself. Finally Motyer made clear how to read the Old Testament in a Christ-centred way, which was incredibly encouraging for a Christian reader.

However, I did have one concern. Motyer seemed to forget on occasions that he is a scholar who is more gifted than the average reader. His idea that if we read Isaiah enough, we should be able to spot the complex structural elements is probably a bit beyond the reach of most of us mere mortals! This and a few other elements could put off a younger Christian and the book would be stronger if they had been left out.

So did this book help me love the Old Testament? Yes it did. Motyer's passion really helped me look at the Old Testament with new eyes and want to read it more frequently. Don't be put off this gifted scholar occasionally getting a little carried away. We might not be able to get all he gets from the text but we certainly can experience the joys of the Old Testament for ourselves.

The Pastor and Counseling (9marks)
The Pastor and Counseling (9marks)
by Jeremy Pierre & Deepak Reju

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best First Book on Pastoral Counselling, 14 Oct. 2015
As I entered my first pastorate, I was concerned that I had little experience of counselling. When I saw this book, it seemed like a great introduction for counselling. I wasn't disappointed.

The main reason that The Pastor and His Counseling is successful is that it really does expect no prior knowledge. I have read Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands, People in Need of Change Helping People in Need of Change (Resources for Changing Lives) and Competent to Counsel: Introduction to Nouthetic Counseling (Jay Adams Library) which were two recommended books on this topic. However, I found that both books expected too much prior knowledge and didn't set out a clear structure for an average counselling section. The Pastor and His Counseling, however, starts at the most basic and gives a reasonable structure for initial meetings, regular meetings and final meetings. This was just what was needed.

The danger of introductory books is that they don't go deep enough. Whilst there are obviously limitations, the book delves deep enough into the structure of meetings and other problems you may encounter such as dealing with outside organisations.

If you're looking to enter this kind of ministry, I can't think of a better starting point.

The Missing Generation - A Practical Guide to 20s 30s Ministry
The Missing Generation - A Practical Guide to 20s 30s Ministry
by Kay Mumford

5.0 out of 5 stars A One-Stop Shop for 20-30s Ministry, 14 Oct. 2015
At my new church, I was asked to start a 20-30s ministry in our church. My pastor helpfully suggested The Missing Generation and I wasn't disappointed. This book thoroughly equipped me for ministry in this area.

What was so good? Firstly, Mumford clearly understood many of the temptations of ministry in this age group. As a 28 year old myself, I found myself nodding my head as she discussed the many temptations of our generation. This gave numerous ideas for topics to discuss with our own 20-30s group.

Secondly, Mumford goes into a huge range of ministry areas, covering evangelism, one-to-ones, pastoral care, bible studies, training leaders, connecting to the main body of the church and many more. Each of these is covered in surprising detail given the brevity of the book and gives a great starting point for ministry in this area.

The Missing Generation has been incredibly influential in my own preparations for ministry with this age group. I plan to suggest to any helping this ministry to read the book for themselves. Grab yourself a copy and I'm sure you will be prepared for this ministry too.

The Bruised Reed (Puritan Paperbacks)
The Bruised Reed (Puritan Paperbacks)
by Richard Sibbes

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lifting Up For the Downhearted, 18 Mar. 2008
This book is one of the best Christian books I've read, and definitely one of the easiest Puritan books to start out on. A group of Christians from the 1600s, the Puritans were thorough theologians but put great emphasis on application to the Christian life. This edition has all the benefits of Puritan literature without any of the drawbacks, being immensely helpful for your personal walk with Jesus without the Ye Olde English language (the Thous have been changed to Yous, the sentence structure has been made more clear etc. without being an all our paraphrase)

The book itself is an exposition on Isaiah 42:3. Sibbes has two audiences in mind those who are downhearted in their faith and those who are dealing with the downhearted. He reminds both groups that Jesus does not crush the bruised reed, but cares for it. Moreover, he will "faithfully bring forth justice" which he explains is the kingdom of God in our hearts. He tells us that we all suffer and fall back into sin, but that Jesus will care for us and establish his rule in our hearts despite our weaknesses.

This book had a profound impact on the lives of the great men Richard Baxter and Dr. Martyn Lloyd Jones. If you are worried by the strength of your faith in comparison to others and are lacking assurance of salvation this book will help you by pointing you not to something in your life, but to the greatness of Jesus and his ability to keep you faithful to the end.

It's so short and so cheap what are you waiting for!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 19, 2011 6:32 AM BST