Profile for lambethboy > Reviews

Content by lambethboy

lambethboy (UK)

Disorder (Sam Keddie thriller series Book 1)
Disorder (Sam Keddie thriller series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping stuff, 28 May 2014
I bought this to read on holiday and I didn't quite know what to expect as I've never read anything by Paddy Magrane before. I was already half way through a different book, but curiosity got the better of me and I thought I'd take a quick peep at this one... the other book was left to collect dust while I raced through Disorder instead!

I started reading it on a long train journey, normally I fall asleep no matter what I'm reading, but this was so exciting I got drawn into the story and before I knew it two hours were up and it was time to get off. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't get much better than that. I guess it would be too much to hope for if the next Sam Keddie book would be out before I go on holiday?

Manual of a Traditional Bacon Curer
Manual of a Traditional Bacon Curer
by Maynard Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 1 Sept. 2009
I wish this book had been around four years ago when I started making bacon, ham and sausages. This book covers everything from butchering to building a smoke house. This is probably the most complete set of recipes and instructions for bacon, ham and sausages I've seen. There are full ingredients for more cures than you could possibly want. I was pleased to see recipes for things like black pudding, haggis and faggots too. Forget the dubious salty bacon you'll get by following the recipes in the River Cottage cook book, this is the way to go. At 225 pages this book is well worth the money. Thank-you Maynard!

Hydroponics: Indoor Horticulture
Hydroponics: Indoor Horticulture
by Jeffrey Winterborne

3.0 out of 5 stars Great if you want to grow "high energy plants", 14 July 2009
The book is very well presented, the typography is clear and the illustrations good. Unfortunately it is let down by poor editing, with many sentences repeated.

I bought the book hoping to figure out how to grow tomatoes hydroponically in a green house and although I have learned a fair bit about hydroponics, I still don't have the knowledge to do this. If you want to grow "high energy plants" in a stealthy grow room somewhere in your house, this is the book for you. Otherwise, it is rather too limited in aims to be of universal use.

Maynard: Secrets of a Bacon Curer
Maynard: Secrets of a Bacon Curer
by Maynard Davies

3.0 out of 5 stars More stories, few recipes, 31 Jan. 2008
I am a great fan of Maynard and love his stories but I was quite disappointed by this book. I was really hoping to read more about bacon curing, instead all I got more stories and anecdotes. Although charming and engaging, if you want to learn more about bacon curing you would be better off waiting for his next book which I gather will be a detailed guide to the art bacon curing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2011 5:02 PM BST