ARRAY(0xa3948cc0)

Tempo Tissues (10x9)
Offered by Nifeislife
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for scatterbrains, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: Tempo Tissues (10x9) (Misc.)
Without a doubt the best thing about these tissues is that they don't disintegrate in the wash. If you accidentally leave one in a pocket and it goes through the machine, it comes out whole!

For that reason alone, I prefer them.

They also perform just fine as tissues for nose-blowing, etc.

Dexim Visible Green Micro USB Black Cable - Blue
Dexim Visible Green Micro USB Black Cable - Blue
Price: 15.33

1.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, but didn't last long, 9 Oct 2013
Looked very cool while it worked. Unfortunately it didn't work for more than about a week.

If someone can make one of these that's a bit more durable then I might consider buying again. But for now... avoid :(

Poetic SLIMLINE Portfolio Case for Google Nexus 7 Android Tablet Black (Final Version)
Offered by Smart Shop Online
Price: 16.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but may mark light-coloured surfaces, 1 Sep 2013
I have this case in black. My Nexus 7's 'home' is on a chest of drawers which is white-lacquered, where it serves as my alarm clock when it's not being used for something else.

After about six months of use I've noticed a black mark starting to appear where the cover has been in contact with the surface, which I can't remove. (Hairspray - which removes a surprising number of stubborn marks - has faded it a lot, but I can't get it to go completely.)

Other than that the case is good - it does what it should, holds the device securely, provides easy access to buttons and ports, and hasn't started to crack or distort. I'd still recommend it, just be careful where you leave it for any period of time. I'm going to buy one in white as a replacement.

Microsoft Sidewinder X3 Gaming Mouse - Uuc-00003
Microsoft Sidewinder X3 Gaming Mouse - Uuc-00003

2.0 out of 5 stars OK at first, but not comfortable after long use and not durable, 3 Mar 2012
First, I have to disclose that I'm not a gamer. I got this because I was looking for a five-button ambidextrous corded mouse, this one was pretty cheap and the Microsoft mice I've had in the past have all been very good.

The back/forward buttons are good to have - I sympathise with what people have said about them not being in the most convenient place, but it hasn't been a problem for me.

My real has been that the mouse requires quite a bit of force to click the buttons. Not noticeably at first, but after a long day at the computer the joints in my fingers hurt like they don't with any other mouse. (I'm in my late 30s, so while I'm no spring chicken, I'm not old enough to start expecting joint pain from a normal day's work.)

The last straw for me with this mouse is that after about a year of use the scroll wheel has started to be a bit stuttery. I have an old Intellimouse Optical at the office which gets more use and has worn much better than this one after nearly five years, and it was a dated model even then. So if you're looking for a 5-button ambidextrous mouse and you can get hold of one then that would be my recommendation.

Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating
Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating
by Gillian Riley
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars It just makes so much sense, 5 Dec 2011
I was so glad I found this book. After reading the more obvious books about weight loss I was bored with the assumption that I must be overweight because I hate myself. I don't hate myself, I actually have a pretty nice life. I don't beat myself up when I overeat, I don't eat a whole tub of ice cream then sit crying because I ate a whole tub of ice cream. If anything my default setting is to give myself too easy a time about eating the wrong stuff. (Don't get me wrong, if you *do* do those things, this could still be the book for you, it just starts out acknowledging that eating addiction is different for everyone.)

Gillian Riley's approach is to start from a simple premise: weight is not the problem. What we eat is the problem, which can lead to weight gain and a whole load of other consequences we don't want. Eating addiction is like any other addiction except that we can't just quit eating, so we have to find ways to know if we're eating addictively or not, and strategies for coping with that addiction when it surfaces.

By reinforcing this all the way through, even though it's still difficult not to think in terms of weight or dress sizes, I can feel proud of myself if I know I made good food choices, even if my jeans didn't fit how I hoped they would. It really is a whole new way of thinking.

Beyond Chocolate: How to stop yo-yo dieting and lose weight for good
Beyond Chocolate: How to stop yo-yo dieting and lose weight for good
by Sophie Boss
Price: 8.39

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning: might cause weight GAIN for some, 24 Feb 2011
I read the book and even though I found it a bit touchy-feely for my liking, the basic ideas seemed to make sense. I was convinced enough to sign up for the e-course as well. The problem was that when it came to following the advice, I actually put on weight. It turns out that I didn't need to give myself permission to eat anything - doing that just meant I made more bad choices than ever.

I don't doubt that this works for most people - the number of positive reviews here seems to indicate that it does. But for me it made things worse.

I found Eating Less by Gillian Riley much more helpful - it aims to treat eating addiction like any other addiction, and I found that approach refreshing. (I still slipped back into old habits and put weight back on a year or so later, but at least it had a positive effect while I was consciously working on it.)

Braun  BP4020 ExactFit Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
Braun BP4020 ExactFit Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor

1.0 out of 5 stars Erratic readings, had to send it back., 29 Dec 2010
Both my partner and I tried this with the two cuffs provided - we followed the instructions to the letter but the results we got were wildly erratic (e.g. huge differences between readings taken five minutes apart) and mostly much lower than they should have been. Most of the readings I got would be dangerously low if they were true.

So... we probably just got a duff unit this time, but I'm looking for a different make for our next blood pressure monitor.

BaByliss 5720U BEliss 2x Hair Straightening Dryer
BaByliss 5720U BEliss 2x Hair Straightening Dryer

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the easiest thing to use, but it works, 14 July 2008
When I bought this I had long, thick, coarse, wavy hair prone to frizz. Since then I've had it cut to just above the shoulder. At both lengths I've managed to get my hair straight and dry, really not far from the look I get from the salon, with this product. I like my hair to bend under a bit at the bottom which this does pretty well, so if you go for poker-straight right to the ends then I'm not sure if you'll get that result.

I'd say if you get along fine with straightening irons then stick with those, they're probably less trouble. But I had so much hair they'd take ages, and usually I'd lose patience and end up with my hair half-done.

Here's how I use this:

1. Rough-dry without either nozzle just to remove a bit more water than the towel got, so there's less work to do with the straightener attached

2. Set the straightener as it's shown in the picture, and straighten the front sections. I usually grab chunks of hair from 'underneath' first, then chunks nearer the crown.

3. Set the straightener at 90 degrees from how it's shown in the picture which I find better for getting at the back of my head, again taking chunks from underneath then from the crown. (Halfway through I flip the straightener another 180 degress to get the other side, holding the dryer with the other hand.)

(It's worth saying at this point that I'm pretty haphazard about both these stages - there's no sectioning with a comb involved, I literally just grab small handfuls of hair and drag the straightener through until they're about dry.)

4. Put the concentrator nozzle on to finish off any bits not completely dry, and finish the style.

I think it was about the third attempt before I began to feel like I'd got the hang of it, in my opinion it was worth a bit of perseverance because it's the only way I can get the look I want.

The slide controls feel a bit cheap and it's easy to accidentally catch the 'cool' button by accident in use, so for me those knock of half a star, with the other half going because of the general faff of using it. But for my hair it's still much less hassle than irons and gives a more natural finish.

Billy Blanks' Tae-Bo - Vol. 2 [DVD]
Billy Blanks' Tae-Bo - Vol. 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Billy Blanks
Price: 7.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for people who hate exercise DVDs, 5 Jun 2008
I used to have a really cheesy Cathy Smith video from the 80s which I memorised and could eventually do the workout without the tape - which was just as well because while the exercise routine was great, her motivational talk ("I know it's getting tough, but don't give up!") and simpering at the camera made me want to punch my TV. I'm sure she's a lovely woman, but I just hate all that "Woo, yeah!" nonsense.

Billy Blanks is, for a fitness instructor, remarkably inoffensive. There's one bit where he talks about feeling like you can protect yourself which I found a bit irksome (it's a fitness DVD, not a self-defence course), but other than that he's really quite bearable. It sounds like damning with faint praise, but that's a HUGE statement for an exercise DVD!

The workout is great, I did it for the first time last night and for someone a bit overweight who exercises occasionally it was challenging without being impossible (I had to stop in a few places but caught up again) and I'm confident I'll be able to do the whole thing after a few goes. The time just flew by though, and I'm actually looking forward to doing it again and progressing on to Vol 1 which is supposed to be a bit tougher.

Just one note: you really should do the instructional section first so you learn the moves and don't injure yourself when you try them at full pace. However, I found doing some of the kicks in slow motion really difficult. (I would guess the extras in that section are dancers or martial arts experts because normal people just wouldn't be able to stay still on one leg with the other in the air for that long.) It would be easy to get disheartened if you tried to follow along exactly as they do it - but don't worry, it's much easier in the actual workout!

Oh and a small bonus... it should help my performance in Wii boxing!

The Adventure of English
The Adventure of English
by Melvyn Bragg
Price: 8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating - nearly excellent, 3 April 2008
The evolution of our language is a fascinating story, well told by Melvyn Bragg.

My only very slight complaint is that it's obviously a book aimed at adults, and the squeamish ***ing of swear-words struck me as inappropriate. They're a part of our language like any other and their history deserves to be told without mollycoddling the reader.

(I don't like it when people complain about 'bad language' when it's used appropriately and in context, and I think it's the duty of the rest of us to complain when certain words are shied away from unnecessarily.)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2009 3:56 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2