Profile for justthebook > Reviews

Postcards from the Edge: Remote British Lighthouses in Vintage Postcards
by Christopher P. Nicholson
Price: 13.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Two of my interests coming together, 27 Mar 2012
Most people who know me would say that I love lighthouses and that I am a postcard collecting nut. In this book both crazes come hurtling together. I can't decide whether to put it on my shelf for books about lighthouses or books about postcards (but that's my problem!). The only book I know (certainly the only one in print) about lighthouse postcards.
The reproductions are excellent. A few of the cards I already own as originals but many are quite rare and would fetch a fair sum if appearing on eBay. The selection is great and the text is informative.

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
Price: 13.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Touch the FF, 21 Jan 2006
I have now listened to this album for the third time. Usually after this many plays I would be skipping the tracks which I didn't like as much as the others but I have not touched that fast forward button once with this album. There is not a duff track here.
The songs are the most catchy I have heard of late and the lyrics are simple but very evocative of life in the streets and clubs of Sheffield. Franz Ferdinand should give up now! (Oh and those cheeky monkeys love their false endings).

Hancock's Half Hour - Volume 1 [DVD] [1961]
Hancock's Half Hour - Volume 1 [DVD] [1961]
Dvd ~ Tony Hancock
Offered by HERO SHOPPER
Price: 4.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Pioneering sitcom, 24 Jun 2005
At last we can see the surviving Hancock's Half Hour TV episodes in the original broadcast order.
Galton & Simpson along with Hancock and the rest of the cast produced the mould for many other series to come and possibly still influences comedy today (Beryl Virtue, Exec Producer of Coupling & many others, worked with G & S in the 50s & 60s).
The original radio series got away from the compulsory music/variety mix that comedy had to fit in with until HHH came along - this show concentrated on characters, plots and intelligent scripts and when this was transferred to TV, there was no looking back.
I find this the only comedy TV or radio show produced in the 50s that is still genuinely funny and not just from a nostalgic ot historical view (like the Goons or Take it From Here). The comedy has not dated in the least.

Saucy Haulage Ballads
Saucy Haulage Ballads

5.0 out of 5 stars Happiness is a Warm Bath - S Club Seniors, 30 Aug 2003
This review is from: Saucy Haulage Ballads (Audio CD)
Another output from the Birkenhead scallys. Only HMHB could cover one of their own songs and give it a different title (On Finding the Studio Banjo is the Trumpton Riots done as Hillbillys would have done it) and call it something else AND get away with it. This is one of their best offerings..BUY IT! Got to go, there's a bloke coming round to put the gas back on....