Profile for Lilly Penhaligon > Reviews

Content by Lilly Penhaligon

Lilly Penhaligon (United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Kerbl Scratch Furniture Ambiente, 96 x 87 x 100 cm, Black
Kerbl Scratch Furniture Ambiente, 96 x 87 x 100 cm, Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Cat loves it but some quality issues, 11 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This multi-level cat 'tree' comes from German designed Kerbl and weighs a ton. The box it is delivered in is **extremely** heavy so do be aware of this.

This comes flat-packed and looks exactly like something that you could buy from IKEA tbh. It's nice enough but in my opinion, the price point is very high for what it is. Although supposedly you can set it up in different configurations, some of those are not very practical and one would prevent one of the steps from being accessed. We set it up as per the picture and it seems to suit our living room space.

The good:
It looks quite stylish, we had compliments on ours.
The cat likes it.
It has so much sisal on it that the cat is immediately attracted to scratching every scratchable surface and has lost interest in sharpening her claws on our stairs, sofa, bed and the carpet.
There are multiple layers which has entertained our cat.
The little cat box is a nice thought and our cat loves it. Even though our cat is on the plumper side of things, she can get herself into that space comfortably and seems to enjoy scratching away on the felt flooring inside the box and then settling down for a 23 hour nap.

The bad:
It doesn't look like a £122 cat tree, it looks like something you picked up for £40 at Ikea.
Some of the fittings are not well made/lack quality.
The rope attachment was disconnected from it's holder when we unpacked the box and had to be superglued.
The box said 'fleece cushions'; actually, they meant thin, cheap-feeling felt mats
The instructions were next to useless
It took a LONG time to put together (over an hour) because there are a LOT of pieces and much of it is guesswork
The felt mats are ever so thin and are fastened on to the tops of the steps using sticky round dots. These actually leave bumps in the surface of the felt and some don't stick very well when the felt is being raked up by cat claws. We will be doing a lot of supergluing this weekend.

Overall, this is a nice concept and our cat does like it. So maybe if actual cats were reviewing this it would get more stars. My rating is really based on value for money at the current price point and I think in terms of quality, I would expect more than this for that price. However, as it is nice to look at (certainly more sophisticated than some of the other cat tree items available) and the cat likes it, I would say it's deserving of three stars.

PRO PLAN Cat Wet NutriSavour Housecat with Salmon in Gravy 10x85g (Pack of 4, Total 40 Pouches)

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthier food for a healthier, happier cat., 11 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I waited a while to review these as one of the things the product promises is reduced litter box smell which I wanted to try out. Obviously we had been feeding our buddy with generic cat food so I wanted to give this a fair trial and use it for a long while to ensure that I am reviewing this product fairly. In light of that we weaned our Bud off the generic and put her onto this.

Plus points:
The cat absolutely LOVED this product. She goes crazy if she sees or hears one of these packets being rustled.
This product, in our cat, virtually eliminated the smell of the cat box.
The food itself smells inoffensive and does not linger in the kitchen/cat area.
Our cat has MUCH better breath and dental health since starting on this.
Her stools look more firm and give off *very* little odour.

Negatives:
The price.

If I could I would choose to buy this forever more for our cat but the price point is eye watering. We have been feeding her on another well known brand which sells their cat food for a fraction of what this retails for. However, given the changes in our cat and her general health I'm inclined to think that, in human terms, this is like the difference between feeding your kid on McDonalds and Burger King everyday versus feeding them a well-balanced, healthy diet.

The cheapo food we serve stinks to high heaven and requires an immediate clean up after the cat has eaten. It's smell is offensive and lingers. The PRO PLAN smells very pleasant if you get up close to it but any odour is very light and seems to disperse well. Cheapo cat food had made our cat gain weight, develop HEINOUS breath, create unspeakably stench in the cat box and generally throw up regularly. Pro Plan eliminated all of this for us and our cat seems happier and healthier. I will have to carefully consider cost versus the advantages as I love my cat and have been really delighted to see her flourish on good food. The portions are quite small so our cat has inadvertently enjoyed a calorie controlled diet as well (which is something she would most strongly object to if she knew).

All in all for our cat, all the claims on the side of the box have actually been true and I cannot fault them for that. However, good food comes at a price...

Olympus PEN E-PL7 Interchangeable Lens Camera - White (16.1MP, M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 EZ Pancake Lens) 3.0 inch Touchscreen LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 29 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm going to review this product as a total amateur camera user. Basically this is my second ever digital camera and probably the most advanced camera I'll ever use. I use it for taking family photos and have no professional use for it. This camera is beautifully built and stylish to look at and use. I love the nude colour panel as I think it makes it very chic. You get a number of different bits in the box: strap, lens, flash and the battery charger. The flash comes in it's own little case which is so cute. The camera is pretty heavy but it takes fantastic pictures really clear and bright so I don't mind it's weight. The touchscreen is so easy to use especially for those of us who have no idea about backgrounds/lighting/effects etc and the little 'selfie' panel is extremely useful.

I don't know anything about cameras but as a lay user I'm absolutely ecstatic about this camera and would definitely recommend it to other people like myself who want to take good photos easily. A fantastic product.

Bad Moves: How decision making goes wrong, and the ethics of smart drugs
Bad Moves: How decision making goes wrong, and the ethics of smart drugs
by Barbara Sahakian

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm not really comfortable with this section given that I work in this ..., 22 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is ok for the interested person with no specialist background or qualification in this area but I think some health professionals and academics might take issue with some of the points in this book. The first half is really a 'York Notes' précis of the neuroscience behind decision-making processes which is followed by examples of conditions which lead to 'bad' decision-making. I'm not really comfortable with this section given that I work in this field and disagree that people with dementia have bad decision-making skills rather they have impaired function as a result of neurodegeneration. In addition, the inclusion of phobias in this section is something I disagree with as i believe this area to belong to conditioning rather than impaired or bad thinking. The second half of the book focuses on the use of so called smart drugs but I didn't see much in this section on ethics in the way that I would have expected. If you've got a general interest in this area and want something reasonably easy to digest and short (130 pages) then this might an option for you but in my opinion if you're an academic or health professional you might want to refer to the research literature and established texts.

BiC Hello Kitty Designed 4-Colour Ball Pen (Pack of 3)
BiC Hello Kitty Designed 4-Colour Ball Pen (Pack of 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate combination of fav pen and Hello Kitty, 6 Oct. 2014
The BIC 4-colour is one of my favourite general note-taking pens. So handy for when you need to highlight certain words/dates/figures but don't want or can't carry multiple pens with you. These pens also write really smoothly and have a nice colour saturation. Obviously when they came out with the Hello Kitty version I had to get it. This pack gets you three and each pen lasts an extremely long time. Additionally, when the ink runs out you can buy the normal blue one and just change the barrel to this Hello Kitty one.

My only criticisms with this pen are 1. the barcode looks really ugly on the HK design and 2. the inks tend to get really gloopy towards the end of it's time just before the ink runs out.

Other than that, this item is very cute and anyone who like HK or is a fan of cute/kawaii stationery should definitely consider adding this to their collection! Dispatch was very quick and hassle free.

Kid Galaxy Morphibians Terrapin
Kid Galaxy Morphibians Terrapin

4.0 out of 5 stars Great toy for the price point and novelty, 6 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For the price point, I think this is a decent enough toy. It seems well built and is bright and cheerful. I thought it was snake design but apparently it's a terrapin. Either way, this has worked remarkably well on laminate wood flooring, kitchen and bathroom tiles and outside on flat flagstones. It does not like carpet or long grass (haven't tried it on short short grass). Again, as with the Optimus Prime toy, you need to have a screwdriver handy to fit 3AA batteries and the R/C takes a 9V. This is a fairly fun toy, my husband is good at these things so he got the hang of the controls very quickly and seemed to have a lot of fun with it. He was ridiculously excited that it worked in water as well and it drew a lot of attention from nearby children who all got to have a turn and submit their feedback. This went down a treat with boys aged 7-11 particularly because of it's ability to be used in water. Although it's kind of slow this didn't seem to matter to the children who were excited at the fact that you could get a R/C toy to operate in water and didn't really care about the speed. Have to say all the kids got the hang of it very quickly and we had a number of parents ask for the details. Most were surprised by the relatively pocket-friendly price point as a lot of them thought this was a lot more expensive. All in all a great toy and good value for money.

The Art of Purring
The Art of Purring
by David Michie

5.0 out of 5 stars A cat's light hearted teaching of Buddhist principles, 6 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Art of Purring (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is essentially a soft psychology/intro to Buddhism combo - written from the point of view of Snow Lion the Dalai Lama's cat. So the fact that it's written from a cat's perspective and the cat is called Snow Lion was always going to get this book 5 stars from me.
I wasn't sure what to expect from this, not having the read the Dalai Lama's Cat, the first novel in this series but actually this book stands alone and one does not need to have the read the former to understand or enjoy this book.

Essentially this traces Snow Lion's journey on which she meets a number of people and lives through a series of events in her search to find out what brings true happiness. The characters are interesting and well-rounded and the various events dramatic and lively enough to sustain interest plus I really enjoyed the cat's perspective on things. Essentially the lessons learned from each person and event Snow Lion experiences, teaches something about the Buddhist view on what happiness is and why it is so elusive.

The way the stories are told and unfold are light-hearted and enjoyable - I think you could easily read this at face value and just enjoy the novelty of reading about a fictional cat because although the Buddhist teachings are interwoven, they are not intrusive or heavily preachy. This would be a nice book for teenagers and for people who want a lighter look at seeking happiness in their own lives.

All in all a good read and a quick cheer me up. I can see myself rereading this.

Nikko Transformers R/C Optimus Prime Transforming
Nikko Transformers R/C Optimus Prime Transforming

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs a bit more quality control in the decal application dept..., 6 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My husband was eagerly looking forward to playing with what is his ultimate favourite Transformer and to be fair, old Optimus has seen more of my husband than I have these past few days.

The Good: Optimus looks good - he's quite true to the original character I'm told and he comes with a removable sword and shield. He also has a nice deep voice which he uses to declare "I am Optimus Prime" when transforming from truck to robot. He's bright and cheerful looking and the eyes light up with clear, strong blue lights. The packaging is very enticing.

The Bad: He can only say one phrase. You need a screwdriver to fit the batteries. It takes two lots of DIFFERENT batteries 4xAAs which go into Optimus and 1x9v that goes into the R/C constroller. So make sure you are aware of this before giving to a child otherwise you can't use the radio control to transform or move the robot. Whilst the colours on his decor are nice and bright, the stickers are sometimes placed on Optimus in wonky fashion and/or contain a lot of bubbles/lumps. Some were not stuck down properly so we went round him and smoothed them on ourselves.The decal on our R/C was completely askew and part of it was hanging off the controller itself. We peeled this off and realigned properly fixing it down with double sided tape. He doesn't work outside as the ground is too bumpy and cannot deal with grass. He works well indoors on laminate wood flooring and bathroom tiles. Carpet is no go but that could just be our carpet.

All in all, the packaging is very impressive and gives the impression that Optimus can do quite a lot of impressive things. In reality, he's quite temperamental and picky about which surface he will work on. My main gripe is that for the price point, to have to go about and replace/smooth out the decals is a bit much. One would expect a higher standard of quality from a toy that's over £40. We recently acquired another R/C controlled toy and that one had more of a novelty factor and worked efficiently over a number of surfaces. This toy would have been fabulous if he had a little more functionality, a more impressive transformation, a higher quality of decal application and some extra phrases. Still, all being said, my husband is still playing with it.

Disney Princess Magic Dress Sleeping Beauty
Disney Princess Magic Dress Sleeping Beauty

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, 24 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a lovely-looking doll and she's well made with beautiful hair and I also like the gimmick of the changing dress, however; she has had limited appeal among our little ones. I have tried her with my sister's older toddler and my friend's little girl. At both ages, this doll has generated the initial wow factor when the girls discovered the dolly's dress could change colour and the older girl loved playing with this whilst singing along to the DVD. However, because you cannot change the dolly at all (only switch the colour of dress), other dolls such as Barbie for whom there is an infinite number of costume changes available, will always have the edge of this doll when the dress-changing novelty wears off. My friend's little girl only really reaches for this doll when she's playing Sleeping Beauty but the majority of the time she prefers other dolls that allow her to change their outfits and add accessories. I think the build-quality of this doll is great but her limited dress issue is a drawback I think in terms of value for money and longevity of interest.

Breville Coffee Express
Breville Coffee Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for coffee singletons!, 24 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have wanted a coffee machine for so many years yet was always put off by the considerable size and weight of most. As the only coffee drinker in the family, the Breville Coffeexpress suits my needs perfectly. The whole unit is slim, compact and lightweight; it doesn't take up much room in the kitchen and is easily moved for cleaning etc. The shiny black colour is unassuming and chic looking (to my mind anyway) and the thermos/bottle that comes with the main unit is a pleasing and complimentary contrasting shade of dark grey.

The unit is extremely easy to use: fill the water tank at the rear, place grounds in the filter area and switch on. The unit automatically switches itself off after use although it will splutter and steam for a few seconds after initial switch off. The water tank contains markers so you can select a one cup option all the way up to 500ml which will fill the accompanying thermos bottle.

The coffeemaker comes with a thermos which is actually a plastic sheath over a separate metal cannister. The bottom of the plastic sheath unscrews to release the cannister for cleaning after use. The plastic is BPA free and stain free and is a very nice and sophisticated shade of dark/slate grey. It feels extremely sturdy and is very comfortable to hold. I drive a small car but the thermos fits in the drinks holder part. The lid is very secure (the lid over the sip hole can be very difficult to open at first but it has eased up over time). It's a smart looking piece of kit so if you're someone who likes things to look smart and professional for work then this will definitely fulfill that. The thermos keeps coffee hot for as long as I need it to be which is basically for an hour. I would not normally store coffee for longer than this.

The machine will only produce a small amount of coffee at any one time - suitable for one or two people (if they are small cups). The unit needs 3 minutes of rest time between brews so it is definitely not suitable for making large quantities of coffee. I only use it once a day as I don't tend to drink as much coffee these days and I find this perfect for my needs.

As a working professional, this machine is fantastic - you can set it all up and leave it to brew and then by the time you leave the house, you just pop the cap on and off you go. Saves a fortune in buying coffee to go whilst at work. The only one slight criticism I have is that the dispenser will drip very lightly after brewing so I have to place a small cup underneath to catch the dregs. However, this is not a big deal and the benefits and enjoyment I get from this overrides this tiny niggle.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20