Profile for Lilly Penhaligon > Reviews

Content by Lilly Penhaligon

Lilly Penhaligon (United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Carmex Cherry Tube and Pot - (Pack of 2)
Carmex Cherry Tube and Pot - (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best budget lip balm out there, 26 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This duo pack is good value for money since buying both separately ends up being more expensive. As someone who takes medication that makes my lips excessively dry I have found the Carmex range to have the most moisturising and soothing effect among the cheaper brand lip balms. My medication also makes me photosensitive so the added SPF15 in these products is a must have for people like me.

Carmex comes in a variety of applications- the tube (inc. in this package), the pot (inc. in this package and the traditional Chapstick (not inc. in this package) and the consistency of the balm differs slightly between all three. For my purposes, I find the pot handy for nighttime application before bed and the tube for as needed application throughout the day. Because I use it frequently, the pot would get messy and I find the tube easy to use. The balm in the tube is, as others have mentioned, thinner and runnier than the product in the pot so you need to be careful when applying as a little goes a long way. The potted balm is thicker and takes a bit of warming up on your lips to really sink in.

The results are fast and furious. The balm does have a strong camphor smell and taste which is somewhat disguised by the cherry flavouring however if you don't like this smell be aware that it is not fully overpowered by the cherry scent. The scent itself is what I would describe as that typical fake or synthetic cherry flavouring that some love and some hate. However if you don't like that smell Carmex do a range of other flavours like strawberry, green tea and jasmine, lime and of course it's best one (IMO) original.

The balm is fantastic in all flavours and works very very well for a budget balm. The range of flavours and application types means there's something for everyone as long as you don't mind the camphor/menthol smell and taste.
This is a staple in my makeup bag because having tried virtually all the other available brands I have to say this is the only one that I have repurchasing. Although the original flavour is my preferred choice, it's nice to have this cherry flavour for summer.

Philips DVT4000 Voice Tracer Digital Recorder with AutoAdjust+
Philips DVT4000 Voice Tracer Digital Recorder with AutoAdjust+

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound but design could do with spruce up, 17 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I conduct research interviews and have recently switched from my Olympus to using this Phillips DVT4000. In all honesty, I cannot really discern a difference in audio quality between the two brands and have been very very happy with the recordings produced by this little bit of gear. I usually interview people in noisy environments; the dictaphone comes with a selection of settings that you can choose to ensure that you capture the best sound in the environment that you will be recording in. I have sometimes interviewed in exceptionally disruptive environments with equipment noise, alarms, other people speaking etc and whilst these are obviously also captured in the recording I have yet to have any of these noises impair or mask out the interviewee's voice or even their non-verbal utterances (sighs, whispers etc). In my line of work these 'extra' utterances have meaning and are important to the research. So even with noisy environments, my digital recordings are still clear and I have never yet struggled to transcribe a recording made on this dictaphone. My husband uses this to record lectures and the quality is excellent particularly as these environments tend to be less noisy than the ones in which I use it. I have tried to record an outdoor (small) concert just to see what the limitations are and I didn't like the sound of the music so much on this but then who really records outdoor concerts on a dictaphone? Maybe someone does....

I have had no problems transferring files via USB to my laptop and external hard drive. Recharge time is decent - another thing that is important when rushing from one interview to another. Playback quality is excellent, no problems to report there.

One thing I would say - the design is a bit awful. This is much larger and more amateurish than some of the other higher-priced, slicker looking dictaphones you can get. For me, this was a bit embarrassing to get out in front of research participants and some had even commented jokingly on the let's say 'vintage' design of it. My work issued dictaphone is half the size and super slim which looks much more professional in my opinion. However, the quality of my work dictaphone which is considerably more expensive than this one is really the same in terms of sound quality so...

All in all this is a very good dictaphone which does the job. If you are a PhD student or a researcher looking for a reliable dictaphone on a budget then this would be a good choice.

Webbox Cats Delight Complete Chicken & Duck 400 g, Pack of 4
Webbox Cats Delight Complete Chicken & Duck 400 g, Pack of 4

4.0 out of 5 stars Needless to say she has loved it. The package I received contained four packets ..., 16 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Our cat loves the Webbox treat sticks so I was very excited to give her this dry food from the same company. Needless to say she has loved it. The package I received contained four packets of 400g dry food in the Chicken and Duck flavour. The kibble is decent sized - a bit bigger than the usual brand that I feed her and I have noticed that she is unable to gulp these down like she does with the other stuff. The larger sized biscuits means that our cat sits for longer and chews her food properly instead of rushing in, gulping down whatever she can and running off again only to throw it all up somewhere else in the house.

I have noticed a difference in the smell of her stools in that they seem less pungent - now this food is not marketed as a stool odour reducing food but that has happened with our cat and it's the only thing in her diet that has changed recently. The smaller packets are very convenient for storage reasons but not having a resealable package was a definite oversight in this case hence the missing star.

Overall our cat loves these almost as much as she loves the treats and with the cost and convenience of the smaller user-friendly sized packages and the reduced stool odour, I think we will be switching over to Webbox for the dry food part of our cat's diet.

Philips SC2008/11 IPL Lumea Precision Plus Hair Regrowth Prevention System
Philips SC2008/11 IPL Lumea Precision Plus Hair Regrowth Prevention System
Offered by Discount-Select

4.0 out of 5 stars It seems good but treatment effects yet to show - review needs an update, 3 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This product is a bit of an enigma to me. Many salons use this and the treatments are very expensive plus they have to repeated so if you fit the eligibility criteria for using this item (PLEASE READ the instruction booklet) then you will find that forking out for the full purchase price will save you money in the long run and is much more convenient than having this done at a salon.

The pros:
It is simple to use
You can do this at home, in privacy and at a time that suits you
You can do multiple treatments over time and it will be cheaper than paying salon rates
Other members of your family (if suitable) can use this as well
It is relatively lightweight - takes ~10 mins to do half a leg and there's no obvious wrist/hand strain
It comes well packaged in a box that can be used for storage
Comes with multiple size heads so you can treat large areas (legs, back, arms) and smaller ones (bikini area, face)

The cons
Initial purchase price is expensive (but see point about treatment savings)
Not everyone can use this item (see eligibility criteria BEFORE you purchase/use)
It's a bit boring hanging about actually doing the treatment

I am in two minds about this item mostly because at the moment I am still in the stage of treating myself and haven't really reached the stage where I am seeing treatment effects. So, like the other reviewers, I am having to wait until those start happening and then this review can be finished. I do admit that it is easy to use but I do find it a bit time-consuming - 10 mins per half leg is 40 minutes of sitting about under a glowing lamp. However, if this does what it says it does, then potentially I am going to be saving myself from laborious shaving or painful waxing for a while.

This is one item where you really do need to read the instruction booklet before you jump in. I will update the review as and when I see treatment effects start to show.

Panasonic TX-40CS520B 40-Inch Full HD Smart LED TV with Freetime
Panasonic TX-40CS520B 40-Inch Full HD Smart LED TV with Freetime

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb TV, easy to use and fabulous picture quality., 3 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wow I wasn't sure what to expect with this TV but it has really impressed both my husband and I with its functionality, design and picture quality. This TV was on trial to replace a Samsung of the same size (40") that my husband purchased during his bachelor days. We had always been happy with that TV, worked perfectly, looked good and did the job.

So on to the new TV. I unpacked, assembled and connected this TV myself. So the fact that *I* did this by myself without a hitch means this is super easy to set up. If you are like me, and nervous around new technology don't hold back with this one, it works like a dream. The TV itself is a lot thinner/slimmer and nicer looking than our current one even though they share the same screen size. I think this is due to the relatively slim/narrow bezel around the screen which to me, makes it seem like the screen itself is bigger than the 40" it is. It also fits really neatly and unobtrusively into a small living room and doesn't contribute to making the room look smaller or overcrowded.

The picture quality on this TV is superb - watching things like The Island with all the colours, the greens etc really makes for a wonderful viewing experience. We have also watched a number of blue ray DVDs and things like Avatar etc really come into their own on this screen. Another thing I have noticed is that 4OD looks much much crisper on this TV than our previous one which was always murky and slightly blurry.

We mostly watch Netflix and 4OD and found these easy to set up and use. The quality has been excellent and we haven't experienced any issues in the 32/33 days that we have been using this. We have also used YouTube (although I prefer seeing those videos on a smaller device like an Ipad) and have found that easy to set up and access.

My husband uses this screen for gaming - he has played The Last of Us, one of the new Resident Evils and some other war type game on it and seems to very much enjoy the experience as he's hardly come off it since.

All in all, I would totally recommend this TV and if I were to repurchase this, I would go for the bigger screen size now I know how slim and attractive the actual unit is. We have successfully and easy linked it to the internet, Netflix, the PlayStation and used it to watch DVDs. We will be joining the Amazon Instant Film programme shortly so we can enjoy a wider variety of things to watch.

In future, when it comes to replacing this TV, I would definitely look at another Panasonic over the brand we currently have. The difference in quality to me seems really quite considerable even though the screen size and some of the other specs are fairly similar. For example, both TVs are HD quality but the picture quality on the Panasonic is to me (and my husband and sister-in-law agreed) a lot better than our previous one. I am delighted with the item and would definitely recommend it to others based on my experience.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2015 7:57 PM BST

Toni & Guy Glamour Serum Drops - 30 ml
Toni & Guy Glamour Serum Drops - 30 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect serum. At last!, 4 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This lovely serum has helped tame my rather coarse, thick and often unruly hair. I live in a pretty wet climate so frizz is my main enemy. I am hugely skeptical of hair serums as I have, over the years, tried nearly every single one on the market in an attempt to control my wild locks. This lovely serum has so far been the only one that has actually done what it claims. It comes in lovely packaging and in a nice glass bottle. The serum feels substantial without feeling sticky, thick or gloopy and it massages into the hair nicely. In my case, this instantly gets rid of flyaways and frizz without leaving my hair looking greasy, flat or dull. It has a beautiful smell which quite a few people have complimented me on. This doesn't make my hair greasy and I can easily do second and third day hair without washing it - something my hair could never tolerate with previous serums. All in all I love the effect - sleek, neat locks without the grease or buildup. This will definitely be part of my hair routine from now on.

Sigel HN617 PageMarkers, Index Sticky Notes, Film, Transparent, Micro 5 colours, 400 strips

5.0 out of 5 stars Very versatile: use to highlight events, deadlines, expenditure etc, 30 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These page markers are more for highlighting text and flagging pages rather than writing notes - so be aware that they are VERY, very narrow! Unless you have minuscule handwriting you will be hard pressed to put much on here. I use them to highlight events, deadlines and expenditure in my work diary and log book. I have also used these for data analysis and also to highlight key pages in my field notebook. They are very sturdy and can be repositioned a fair few times before they lose their stick. There are 400 flags per pack. The pack itself is very compact and fits in my diary and field notebooks nicely.

They are expensive but I do get a lot of use of them for a lot of different purposes so for that reason I would buy them again.

Maclaren Cocooning Massage Oil
Maclaren Cocooning Massage Oil

4.0 out of 5 stars A great oil for all the family, 27 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This beautiful oil comes well packaged and leak-free which was good. It's a light but quality oil that works well for baby and mum and even dad! The oil comes in a nice glass bottle with a plastic lid in which a small hole is drilled so you can pour out the oil. I do find that a light hand pouring this is useful as the oil is very rich and a little goes a long way. I have also put this in my bubble bath and it really does moisturise my skin beautifully. I've also used this on my feet before bed and really seen the benefits. Our little one enjoys being massaged with this after bath time and as a wind down for bedtime and so I would definitely repurchase this when it's finished. I think the price is fine given the quantity and quality of the oil and how long I expect it to last even with daily use. One small thing - I'm not a fan of the smell to be honest but I have made my peace with it. All in all this is a great oil that everyone in our family enjoys. Well recommended.

Clearblue Plus Visual Pregnancy Test Sticks - Pack of 2
Clearblue Plus Visual Pregnancy Test Sticks - Pack of 2

5.0 out of 5 stars These were easy to use and accurate but sadly not in the ..., 23 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These were easy to use and accurate but sadly not in the way the way that I was hoping! I also use the ovulation kits from Clearblue and have been pleased with them. I like this brand and will continue to use it until I hopefully see two blue lines...

The Well
The Well
by Catherine Chanter

4.0 out of 5 stars The 'untrustworthy narrator' done brilliantly; a breath of fresh air for who-dunnit novels, 13 April 2015
This review is from: The Well (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This darkly atmospheric and foreboding who-dunnit is a breath of fresh air from the deluge of increasingly graphic crime fiction that seems to be weighing down the shelves of our bookshops. Ruth and Mark, a distinctly average city dwelling couple are forced to relinquish their home and jobs and relocate to a rural property called The Well following unsubstantiated accusations of pedophilia against Mark. The Well initially turns out to be a haven for the couple with it's abundance of rain/water and distance from those who harbour ill-intentions towards Mark. However, as rain across the remainder of the country ceases and drought sets in, the Well continues to flourish not least on account of it's seemingly never-ending supply of rain water. As food shortage and drought sets in, Ruth and Mark face suspicion, fear and hatred from the resentful villagers. In the midst of this, Ruth's grandchild, Lucien, son of her daughter from a previous marriage, is murdered.

The remainder of the novel is essentially a who-dunnit narrated through Ruth's perspective. Ruth is under house arrest back at The Well and from therein the novel switches between current time and flashbacks through Ruth's memory. Trouble is, Ruth is not a reliable narrator. Even early on in the novel, there are hints and suggestions that Ruth is manipulative at best and potentially a liar at worst; her testimony cannot be trusted and this is one of the novel's great achievements. I found this novel took time to get going but once it did it really had me hooked. There are red herrings aplenty yet I did manage to correctly guess who was responsible for Lucien's demise.

Although I did enjoy the novel, I did not really bond with any of the characters. I do like to have at least one character to root for but in this one, I did not care for any of them and had little connection with them. However, the other elements of the novel plus the mystery of the murderer did keep me turning the pages. I very much enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more from this author.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20