Profile for E. Mills > Reviews

Content by E. Mills

E. Mills "EmmaM" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 3 May 2015
Arrived quickly. Boy loves it.

Minecraft Blockopedia
Minecraft Blockopedia
by Egmont Publishing UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 May 2015
This review is from: Minecraft Blockopedia (Hardcover)
Great price. Boy loves it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids love it., 3 May 2015
Arrived quickly. Kids love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars kids pleased., 3 May 2015
Arrived quickly, kids pleased.

Cat Among the Pigeons (Cat Royal)
Cat Among the Pigeons (Cat Royal)
by Julia Golding

5.0 out of 5 stars My 10 yr old daughter loved this book, 3 May 2015
My 10 yr old daughter loved this book. She says they are really good and is now on book 4.

Broken Lights
Broken Lights

4.0 out of 5 stars Super Short Story, 17 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Broken Lights (Kindle Edition)
4.5 stars.
I loved this short story, almost as much as The Spell of Summer. We only spend one evening with the couple and yet we get to really know them and what makes them act the way they do. Dianna is a fabulous writer and for me there was the perfect amount of grit v romance. The half star deduction is a personal thing... I would prefer a full length novel and personally I wouldn't put the sex scene in... But that's just me. I understand why it was there and it was totally natural for the characters and beautifully written, so don't let it put you off. Buy this, it's a great little read!

The Accidental
The Accidental

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretentious frustrating read, 23 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Accidental (Kindle Edition)
Initially I stopped reading this book about 3 chapters in but then after a couple of weeks I was suffering from bad insomnia and thought it might help me sleep. It did. By about halfway through I'd decided I wanted to review it so I knew I needed to finish it, as I don't believe it is fair to review a book if you haven't finished it!

The chapters alternate, each chapter being voiced by either the mother, step father, the daughter or the son. There are also two chapters voiced by Amber the interloper. Her chapters are quite frankly not worth reading, they add nothing to the story and tell you nothing about her character other than she quite possibly may be a schizophrenic.

For some reason which I am sure the publisher and droves of 'serious reviewers' must understand and believe to be very clever, the author believed herself to be above the rules of English grammar and so you have to muddle through with no speech marks; which frankly is just really tiring on the eyes and somewhat frustrating, also some chapters start mid-sentence.

Apart from this, the story, which could be an interesting depiction of a nuclear family, goes nowhere. It literally just ends. Weird things happen, with no reason. Nothing is concluded. As for all the rave reviews and prize winning nominations? I can only presume, that like the emperor with no clothes, there are a lot of pretentious 'literary' types feeling very 'smart', while the rest of us laugh at them for being sucked in!

Hama Pony World Medium Gift Set
Hama Pony World Medium Gift Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Well loved. Great gift!, 19 Sept. 2014
Bought as a birthday present. The girls all loved it!

The Spell of Summer: 1 (Once Times Thrice)
The Spell of Summer: 1 (Once Times Thrice)
by Dianna Hardy

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Light Romantic Read, 19 Sept. 2014
I really enjoyed this book; and that was straight after reading The Book Thief (one of my most loved books!) In fact it is the perfect antidote for when you are feeling upset! I immediately fell in love with the two main characters Merri and Jamie. I thought they were believable and realistic. I adored that it was mainly set in beautiful Cornwall; the descriptions were vivid and never too involved. The story itself had just an ounce of magic peppering what is otherwise a contemporary romance. Of all Dianna's books this is my favourite. I heartily recommend you read it the next time you want a lift!

Finding Sky
Finding Sky
by Joss Stirling

5.0 out of 5 stars Great British YA read, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Finding Sky (Paperback)
As a British YA supernatural writer myself I enjoy reading stories with new angles and this series is one of the best. I really enjoyed the UK / US mix in the series. This is the first book and is set predominately in the states. I enjoyed all the locations and thought the characters were great too, especially Zed who I think is my favourite Benedict brother... With Xav a close second! Totally recommend book 1 & 3!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4