Profile for lg1503 > Reviews

Content by lg1503

lg1503

Page: 1 | 2
Secret London - an Unusual Guide (Jonglez Guides)
Secret London - an Unusual Guide (Jonglez Guides)
by Rachel Howard

5.0 out of 5 stars Why didn't I buy it sooner!, 15 Sep 2013
Great book with tonnes of great ideas for different things to do in London. Lots of my friends have borrowed my copy and subsequently bought their own!

Clinical Problem Solving in Periodontology and Implantology, 1e (Clinical Problem Solving in Dentistry)
by Francis J. Hughes BDS PhD FDS RCS

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent textbook, 15 Sep 2013
Very well written book. Perfect for my undergrad course. Very clear & concise and very nicely presented with lots of interesting clinical photographs.

I bought 'Periodontology at a glance' for my second year perio course, which I enjoyed, but this complements nicely and brings concepts together better for my the advanced perio.

Well worth the investment.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect in my experience, 10 Dec 2011
I've had these speakers over a year and felt the impulse to write a good review after yet another particularly exquisite listening experience! Yes, the sound quality really is that good.

I get very frequent (every day) use out of my set, often pushing the volume very high. There is almost no distortion at the highest volumes, which are very loud (easily loud enough for a good-sized house party). Love these speakers so much I would probably replace them with another pair the same day if they ever broke. I've never had any problems with crackling and have found them to be very reliable.

I was surprised to see these speakers didn't have a higher average rating, and after looking at the negative reviews felt
a) that the problem re: left:right volume distortion at low volumes is true, but the volume has to be very low. It also doesn't happen if the volume is turned low on the computer/ipod, only when turned very low on the speaker itself. It certainly isn't something I'd even noticed until I read that review.
b) it's unfortunate that some have found them unreliable, because they really are amazing. From my personal experience I have never had any problems.

In summary, I couldn't be happier with them, the low volume thing shouldn't put people off, they may be unreliable from set to set but the ones without problems are very reliable, and finally I would recommend them to anyone.

Little Book of Marmite Tips (Little Books of Tips)
Little Book of Marmite Tips (Little Books of Tips)
by Paul Hartley

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun but not that functional., 8 Dec 2011
In essence, this is a fun stocking or secret santa present, but not going to change your life forever. I don't think we've ever looked at this book after the first peruse and it'll probably eventually end up in the bin.

Still, a fun stocking present for a couple of quid!

SoundMAGIC PL11 Earphones - Copper
SoundMAGIC PL11 Earphones - Copper

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't last long, 8 Dec 2011
Originally impressed with these. Very good sound quality but didn't blow me away, and didn't compare to my Koss Porta Pro's, although unlike the Porta Pros they don't leak sound so I could use them in the library.

My main gripe is that they only lasted me around 5 months before the left earpiece went. It's such a common problem with all models that I guess it may have been heavy handedness on my part. I've had other makes that have lasted longer though and I don't feel I was careless with them.

At the price, I would probably give them another shot, but people should be aware that they are susceptible to the same problems all the other models seem to get. May consider trying the Soundmagic E10s or the RHA MA-350s for something different. Does get frustrating having to get a new set of headphones every year Christmas though!

Koss KSC75 Clip-On Stereo Headphones for iPod, iPhone, MP3 and Smartphone - Silver/Black
Offered by PADNOTE

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite sound quality. Bargain!, 22 Nov 2010
Couldn't agree more with all the other reviews.

If what you really want from your headphones is a cool fashion accessory, then look elsewhere. They are averagely comfortable and averagely looking but are so unbelievable when it comes to sound quality that these imperfections seem insignificant.

They are simply a joy to listen to and literally enhance the listening experience. Anyone who really appreciates music will appreciate these headphones.

I Speak Because I Can (Eco-pack)
I Speak Because I Can (Eco-pack)
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the first. Great album., 26 April 2010
Think the other reviews sum it up pretty well!

Really incredible album and would be very surprised if this didn't win the Mercury prize this year.

Ma Fleur
Ma Fleur

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing. Also perfect music to work/revise to., 7 Jan 2010
This review is from: Ma Fleur (Audio CD)
Anyone who gives this below 4 stars is flat out crazy. This was actually the first of their albums I heard (I now have all of them), and think they are all equally brilliant. 8 out of 10 of these tracks are cracking and anyone who appreciates good music will undoubtedly get a lot of pleasure out of this or any of the other albums.

On a side note, those who can't work or revise in silence - this is perfect. Not intrusive at all. I can work for hours and hours on end now without distraction. Definitely worth getting!

Immunology
Immunology
by Ivan M. Roitt

4.0 out of 5 stars Subjective - head to the library and see what suits you, 13 May 2009
This review is from: Immunology (Paperback)
Surprised to see others found the order of this book confusing. I personally switched to this book after finding Janeway's Immunobiology impossible for that exact reason. I felt this set it out in a much better order than Janeway's in which I felt myself forever flicking from chapter to chapter to try and construct anything in a logical order of processes. Not to mention the >50 page index of janeways which may have been necessary but I found very irritating as I was having to use it every 5 minutes. This book pretty much sets things out in chronological order..starting with innate immunity, moving on to different aspects of adaptive immunity and finishing with some other sub-topics such as autoimmunity, mucosal immunity, hypersensitivity which mirrored my lectures nicely.

This book did lack in detail a little, just occassionally I referred to Janeway's for a few things.

From other peoples opinions it seems like you should definitely head to the library and check the books out for yourself before spending loads of money on anything.

Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain (**)
Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain (**)
by Barry W. Connors

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book in most respects but lacking in some places, 13 May 2009
Probably fantastic for medicine students or neuroscience students with lots of neuranatomy and clinical neuroscience. Very well laid out, pretty faultless in terms of how its written with very useful and easy to follow diagrams as well as a CD with a few good animations on action potentials and some stuff on neuroanatomy (but not a lot else). Comes with a free online service where you can send them coursework and get feedback...sounds pretty impressive, haven't tried it myself though just in case its rubbish! Seriously colourful...which is nice.

Would have definitely been 5 stars had it not been for a distinct lack of any detail with regard to receptors, transporters, glial cells, and a few other points which unfortunately made buying this book pretty useless for the module I bought it for. I'm sure it'd be great for others though.

Page: 1 | 2