Profile for Trevor Kenwrick > Reviews

Doom (PC DVD)
Doom (PC DVD)
Offered by Shop4World

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Retro Fun, 24 May 2016
This review is from: Doom (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Although the installation is 51 GB on disk, it managed to fit onto a few floppy disks along with a quick day one patch (I have the highest dial-up package from AOL).

The game runs a little sluggish on my 486 DX2 66/S3 Virge, but with some tweaking to virtual memory it gets a solid 60 SPF (seconds per frame) @320x200. It runs a little better on my i5 4690K/GTX 780.

Another little niggle, I had to change the IRQ and DMA settings to get my Sound Blaster 16 to let me hear the glorious sounds of smashing monster skulls and the excellent high fidelity MIDI soundtrack.

Great game that not only re-imagines the originals but builds upon them. Clearly the makers of this game were either big fans of, did their research or actually worked on the originals.

I also tried IDCLIP, IDDQD and IDKFA to no avail.

Would recommend. 10/10.

Samsung Series 6 JU6400 Smart 4K Ultra HD LED 55 Inch TV (2015 Model)
Samsung Series 6 JU6400 Smart 4K Ultra HD LED 55 Inch TV (2015 Model)
Offered by Tvsandmore

4.0 out of 5 stars Great updated line from the slightly older JU6000 brother, 12 Jan. 2016
I have owned both this TV and the very similar JU6000 - Samsung UE55JU6000 55-Inch Widescreen 4K Ultra HD Smart Wi-Fi LED TV with Freeview HD. Both in the 55" variants.

I had to return that one due to Blue blob of a cluster of dead/dodgy pixels that appeared in dark scenes/pictures. It was very noticeable - at least half a centimetre diameter (Not bought through Amazon, but during Very holiday sales with 0% interest) When it came to ordering it's replacement, I opted for this slightly newer version and the upgrades, though they seem small are a godsend;

*The stand is now located in the centre, meaning you can swivel the TV to the direction of the viewer easier. Even on a fairly large and deep TV stand, there is only so far you can go with that TV. This direction angle seems to be more important on such a large TV.

*The TV remote has been upgraded and has much better signal range and button layout.

*The TV can now output lower resolutions like in the bios of a PC. The older JU6000 would simply say "No Imput Signal" during low res, boot-up etc. and a few other strange resolutions quirks.

On both TV's though, the picture is stunning in 4K and the content is fairly easy to come by now if you have a PC especially and know where to look. But high quality 4K, of the like I'm hoping to see from BBC nature docs will looks stunning. Sometimes it is like looking through a pain of glass!

I did notice some background light source when I study the screen intentionally on both TV's but these are budget large 4K TV's so it is to be expected. Make sure you study your screen for dead pixels though as I now seem to have a tiny, almost imperceptible pink dead pixel that I am not too bothered about it this time because literally one pixel is so damn small and it only occurs in certain similar shades anyway.

Works well with Xbox One but not sure if they will be able to do 4K through an update or a refresh. I can't see why they couldn't for Netflix type apps etc.

The menu is equally fast/slow on both.

But maybe Samsung are having difficulty quality controlling all 8 million pixels from the production line in certain colours.
Overall a great entry level 4K TV for gaming, PC and movies etc.

P.S. Advice; put it in Gaming Mode on all input devices, the picture "enhancers" like adding extra frames on regular TV to get 60fps is off-putting and seems to add stutter/extra noise.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2016 10:56 AM GMT

ESYNiC Digital Audio Decoder to Analog 5.1 Converter - Support Digital Optical Coaxial DTS AC3 Dolby Signal and Stereo(R/L) Audio Signal into 5.1 / 2.1 Analog Output
Offered by eSynic

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value - high quality work around for HTPC, 30 Oct. 2015
Has worked fine for the past year and a half.

Needs a power reset occasionally due to crashing (every few weeks if you keep it plugged in and switched on) and has quite a bright light from the LED.

Other than that, works fine connected from SPdif from Cable/Xbox/PC etc. all connected at once driving an old decent set of Logitech 5.1 PC speakers.

Digital Additions® Dual IDE SATA HDD Hard Drive Disk Dock Docking Station
Digital Additions® Dual IDE SATA HDD Hard Drive Disk Dock Docking Station
Offered by discountedtoyou

2.0 out of 5 stars Can fall over and kill data, 30 Oct. 2015
The unit died after about a year. Worked ok until then.

You can only have one HD drive in at a time. The second space is only for creating duplicate drive images. This wasn't clear to me at the time. I thought you could mount two drives at once - you can't.

Not very stable either, it fell off the back of my table a few times (from either being knocked or the power cord being tugged) and damaged a couple of my drives, rendering them unreadable due to the fall.

It's too back and top heavy when loaded with a 3.5 HDD.

You get what you pay for in this case.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Xbox One Killer - For Now..., 30 Oct. 2015
Works lawlessly with the latest games @1080 and max settings, 60 fps plus. And even with V-sync, it hardly ever drops to 30.

It's easy to overclock but less can be gained due to this being already factory "Super-clocked". There is really no need to overclock though, it works great as it is for most cases. I was just testing it's capabilities as I'm a bit of a tinkerer and a graphics nerd :)

Graphics as good if not much better than my Xbox One or my brothers PS4 - (Noticeably better in Call of Duty(ies) and Project Cars vs on the Xbox One). Although the consoles will probably last longer due to optimisation of newer games in the future for the specific consoles.

And I am pairing this with a weak Intel Pentium G3258 dual core processor for £50. I manage to build the whole system in a mini PC for less than an Xbox One!

This should do you well for the next few years of 1080 PC gaming.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product/Price, but bad Support From Intel/Microsoft, 30 Oct. 2015
Only 4 Stars due to not being able easily to over-clock this over-clock'able processor in the latest version of Windows/not being supported fully in Windows 10. This may hopefully change soon but it's taking a long time (come on Intel/MS!).

There is a problem arising from some micro-code released from Intel which effects the G3258 in Windows 10, some cannot boot with some motherboards and that particular processor. Mine however (Asus H81M-C), does boot o,k but without the ability to overclock, unless you delete a file called mcupdate_genuineintel.dll from the C:\Windows\System32 folder. This isn't easy because you have to take ownership of the file.

Once that is done, it is running back up and stable at 4.4 Ghz on the stock fan.

This gets a little hot and noisy so I've just got a new cooler to keep temps low and my ears free from noise pollution of the stock fan which isn't that bad anyway.

I upgraded from the mighty old Intel Q6600 which was a top of the line quad core nearly 10 years ago. This new processor beats it in most cases (single threaded applications) but it can feel a little slow when multi-tasking if you're used to a quad core.

There is a big improvement in games like Bioshock Infinite, which the old processor was showing it's age and becoming a bottleneck for the newer graphics GTX cards and was experiencing stuttering where it was playing catch-up. That is now gone.

Great price for money though overall though if you don't mind a bit of tinkering.

Asus H81M-C Motherboard (Socket 1150, Intel H81, DDR3, S-ATA 600, Micro ATX, PCI Express 2.0, VGA, USB 3.0)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great. Overclocking facilities and BIOS work with OC profiles ..., 17 Oct. 2015
Works great. Overclocking facilities in the BIOS are excellent, with OC profiles and tools etc. The board has a premium style and so far seems to perform well.

If you are planning to use this with a G3258 on Windows 10, there is a problem arising from some micro-code released from intel which effects the G3258 in Windows 10, some cannot boot with some motherboards and that particular processor. This one however, does work ok but without the ability to overclock, unless you delete a file called mcupdate_genuineintel.dll from the C:\Windows\System32 folder. This isn't easy because you have to take ownership of the file. This is not at all the fault of this MB or Acer. Intel should be releasing an update to Windows 10 code. I don't think this affects any other processors.

So, I could not update from Windows 8.1 to 10 without first removing the Overclock, and then once I had managed to delete the file in question from the System32 folder I re-loaded the overclock (good old overclocking profiles!) and now I'm again running at 4.4 Ghz stable on the stock Intel fan.

Update 24/06/16: I have now upgraded to an i5 4690K a while back and added a Corsair AIO water cooling so I have no idea if W10 still has an issue with the G3258. I have also since had it running stable with three cores @4.9Ghz and one core @4.8Ghz - although now in the summer I have dialled it back a bit to a still decent 4.6Ghz so that I can turn the fan down and still have near silence. But all in all this board is not letting me down yet and has no problems taking the voltage up to and a bit over 1.3v if needed for an overclock.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 29, 2015 9:57 PM GMT

A Theory of Power
A Theory of Power
by Jeff Vail

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deconstruction of the world through a systems analyst view, 22 July 2012
This review is from: A Theory of Power (Paperback)
This book re-frames the history of humanity, considering how power, in it's various forms and structures has effected the present state.

A very thought provoking read which considers the patterns which emerge, which ones are beneficial and which are negative to our evolution.

Jeff ends by proposing a new paradigm (which does seem to be occurring) in which individuals act as nodes in a rhizome fashion similar to the emergence of power structures in the roots of plants which specialize but work together as a whole system.

I think Jeff's deconstruction of our current state is just as compelling as his solutions offered.

A great find which I couldn't put down once I got started.

Acer Aspire ICONIA TAB W500 10.1 inch LED Tablet (AMD-C50 Dual Core Processor, 2GB RAM, 32GB HDD, Wireless, Bluetooth, Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet - fantastic with windows 8, 16 Mar. 2012
I've had the tablet for about 4 months. I stuck with the pre-installed Windows 7 for about a week. So the majority of my review is not based on the pre-installed software.

I downloaded the first Windows 8 Developer Preview and was amazed at it's responsiveness and usability. It cold boots in less than 15 seconds and resumes in a couple of seconds from sleep! Very similar in style to my Windows Phone.

I have since upgraded it to the Win 8 Consumer Preview with no problems and this is really something special now with all these preview apps in the Microsoft App Store. Also, the Windows/Volume/Power buttons and accelerometer work fine. Auto-rotate is much quicker than Win 7.

It can seem strange going from a desktop app to a Metro app. But I've really got used to it now. It's like you can switch from casual mode to business efficient mode with usb keyboard and mouse attached.

But as the review is on the tablet itself as sold I also have to say I was very impressed with it's performance and responsiveness with the pre-installed windows 7. I liked the ability to right-click by tapping two fingers at once (an ability I've lost in Windows 8). Worked better than my girlfriends Win 7 Atom netbook for general stuff and has a far superior AMD graphics processor.

I have had Racedriver Grid working at lower res (about 25-30 fps) and many older games/upcoming newer 3D Win 8 Metro UI games (like the ones in the Consumer Preview) should work blisteringly fast. Pinball FX2 for Xbox live looks stunning. Outputs to my 1080p HDTV perfectly. In fact many nights I will swithch off my noisy power hungry home PC and plug in the tablet and wireless keyboard and mouse and use it as my main PC.

I would highly recommend this as a great priced option for a more serious power users who need more CPU speed than a SoC Tablet. Brilliant for play, work or if you want to try Windows 8 and avoid being a slave to Apple. Don't mind paying for Win 8 when it comes out and it will still be cheaper and better/more flexible/less locked-down than an iPad.

I never got the docking station so can't comment but a wireless keyboard/mouse works great and is much cheaper. It is a little heavier than an iPad so is probably not best if your primarily use as a reader but you can easily hold it for long periods if your not a wimp. That's the trade-off for higher specs.

Well done Acer, a solidly built high quality product that wont break the bank.