Profile for Bill Bryson > Reviews

The Accidental Adventurer
The Accidental Adventurer
by Ben Fogle

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me smile, 14 Sept. 2011
This is a lovely collection of anecdotal stories - a kind of memoir with a difference. Ben's had a pretty amazing life and he tells a very good story. The Accidental Adventurer is easy to read and his tales inspired, amused and moved me. Ben's writing seems to improve with each book he publishes and this is no exception. I've been a fan of his TV career and thought I'd know most of the stories, but there are great accounts of hilarious travel experiences, and feats of endurance that weren't recorded on TV. A brilliant read, I can't recommend it highly enough.

The Crossing: Conquering the Atlantic in the World's Toughest Rowing Race
The Crossing: Conquering the Atlantic in the World's Toughest Rowing Race
by James Cracknell

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read all year, 4 Oct. 2006
I started reading this book not really knowing how good it would be and ended up finishing it in 6 hours - I just couldn't put it down. The book is so well written, it's hilarious to see the differences in mentality between James and Ben and because it's written by both of them, you get both perspectives. But it's also an incredible account of perseverence and bravery coping with terrible loneliness, hunger, thirst and sheer terror. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I finished the book. Amazing...